WOMEN; that time of month & exercise!

I'm in PMS stage right now and just finished an HIIT workout that, while still is difficult, I was able to finish through way easier a few days ago. Now that my period is approaching, it seems almost impossible to finish and I'm getting way more exhausted during my workouts! Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• yes! It happens to me almost every time. I get very tired and working out is harder. But good job on doing it anyway... I usually feel better in the cramp and mood department if I don't skip during that time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Yes. I just take it a little easier for a few days.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Unless you have periods heavy enough to cause anemia, the PMS is usually worse. Bloating is making you heavier and impeding your joints and muscles. Most of us start releasing the bloat as we start menstruating, so it gets better.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    I rolled around in bed on my heavy day..... Can't get myself to go to the gym. :(
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    It's harder to work out on those days, but I find I feel a lot better if I go work out anyway, so I make myself go.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    I'm so glad, idh this problem. I have a friend who always says working out is rough or impossible on TOM though and she takes some rest days or severely decreases activity.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    :angry:
  • Kissah
    Kissah Posts: 33 Member
    I find it hard to work out during that time as I feel so bloated and heavy. One thing I start doing getting close and during that time is drink a lot of water with a squirt of lemon and it helps me release water making it a bit easier...
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    I tough it out, and try to focus on my miles, not my pace (I'm a runner), but Day 1 is the worst for me. Day 1, unless it blissfully coincides with a rest day, all I have to do is put my shoes on, and get to the corner of the block going any speed. 99.9% of the time, I end up finishing the run. Once I had to stop and walk home, but most of the time it's ugly, and it's painful, but not as ugly and painful as NOT running.

I also figure I'm faster and stronger the rest of the month for being able to run through the misery.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Yeah, I have a tendency to skip workouts the first few days. I just call 'em "rest days".... and get back in the game once I start feeling better....
  • I feel the same.. I usually feel more exhausted during my workout during my period, but afterwards I feel a lot better. My mood and PMS symptoms seem to lessen after working out.

And, I have no idea if it's true and haven't done any research to see if it is, but I heard that we are able to lose more weight during our period than any other time. Anyone out there know if it's true or not? I'd love to know, it gives me just that much more motivation to workout when I'm not feeling up to it!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    YES! Thank you for posting this because I'm PMSing right now and having a REALLY hard time being motivated to exercise (and am, of course, eating much more than normal). Once the first few days are over though, I drop weight super quickly and that 1 week out of the month is usually when I drop my 5lbs (or whatever weight I'm going to lose that month).
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    I usually schedule my recovery week for my PMS week - lighter works outs, sometimes less frequent, but still get some movement in which usually reduces my overall symptoms. Try incorporating more controlled workouts too where you can- yoga and pilates have been great for my cramps.
  • I used to have issues with ovarian cysts around my period and so I'm on the pill. Since then, I don't have those issues any more and my PMS symptoms are much less severe. As a result, I can keep working out without any issues.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    I feel the same.. I usually feel more exhausted during my workout during my period, but afterwards I feel a lot better. My mood and PMS symptoms seem to lessen after working out.

And, I have no idea if it's true and haven't done any research to see if it is, but I heard that we are able to lose more weight during our period than any other time. Anyone out there know if it's true or not? I'd love to know, it gives me just that much more motivation to workout when I'm not feeling up to it!

You aren't losing more weight, per se but you may see a big(ish) jump on the scale. You gain a lot in water weight leading up to it, and your period is kind of a reset button for your body, so you tend to lose things that may have been kind of settled in your digestive tract for a while as everything settles.
  • sljohn84
    sljohn84 Posts: 107 Member
    Im there now. Yestorday I took a nap before my exercise and made sure to take a midol; really seemed to help at least get in a little for the day.:tongue:
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Really? I usually just keep on truckin. I think some women (actually I personally know a few) use their periods as an excuse not to exercise. Sure I'm cranky and a little bloated, but I work out hard anyway. Sometimes I work out extra hard if I'm pissed off about something. It's better to take out my PMS aggression on the treadmill or weight machines than on my fiance or someone. I used to have a heavier flow and get bad cramps, but working out has actually helped a lot. I've run a couple of 5Ks and a half marathon while on my period and it didn't change my performance at all.

http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/exercise-and-your-menstrual-cycle-what-your-period-means-your-workout-schedu

Your Menstrual Cycle: Your period does not hamper your performance
    Top athletes don't let a little bleeding slow them down, and you don't have to either. Turkish researchers surveyed 241 elite athletes about how their menstrual cycle affected their performance. While nearly three out of four women said they felt worse just before menstruation, 63 percent said that their pain decreased during training and competition and 62.2 percent said that they believed their performance was just as good when they had their period as other times of the month. A West Virginia University study found that female runners performed equally well whether tested during the first half or second half of their menstrual cycles. The one caveat may be for women with severe premenstrual and menstrual symptoms, such as serious cramps and heavy bleeding. In one French study women who reported these symptoms performed more poorly on a broad-jump exercise during their period compared to their later in their cycle
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    I just try my best when I have mine.

Usually, mine is accompanied by HORRIBLE cramps that makes my legs almost numb. I usually need to load up on Midol to function.
  • i push though it. i cant call into work if I am having a bad period day. i take advil and more forward and teach my class.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    I usually don't work out really hard on a bad day, but I find that going for a brisk walk actually makes me feel way better; it not only helps with my bloating and fatigue, but also works off that rage I feel that makes me want to kill something...