Whey Protein - Before or after a cardio workout?

Options
Ok , so here's the deal. I have lost 50lbs. I still have about 5-10lbs that I would like to lose....but mostly I just want to feel in shape.

I started drinking 1 protein coffee shake I make myself in the morning as a meal replacement (I used to have a 100calorie Quaker granola bar , so the whey protein, milk and coffee is better and I feel full for a change). Lunch- will be salads , soups or healthy sandwiches, yogurt or applesauce for dessert....dinner a protein with vegetables and perhaps a bit of rice ---- I will be doing 1 hour of a Tae Bo class twice a week and 1 (14hr) karate class as well....on the other days I'll be doing Ripped in 30 or Body Revolution to help firm and tone.....now should I have a protein shake before exercising or after and why? I understand that having prrotein shakes before a workout can help you burn more calories but having a protein shake afterwards repairs muscles.... So I am not quite sure what to do. I would really appreciate some advice :)

Thanks!

Replies

• shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Personally I really don't think it matters, its personal preference. I like to have them after a run.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are convenience foods, they don't have magical powers whatever the advertising executives would have you believe. IMO they should be limited to once per day because they are a supplement NOT a meal or food replacement. Either as part of a fruit/ veggie smoothie or right after a workout if you need fast repair/ refuelling because you are going again hard the following day. Other than that, most of your diet should be real wholefoods, it's quite possible to get plenty of protein from oily fish, lean red meat, reduced fat dairy, nuts and seeds and you will get a ton of additional essential nutrients nut just protein.

A protein shake before a workout will not automatically make you burn more calories, there is no scientific evidence for that. Be sure you are taking plenty of rest days, overtraining not healthy.
  • nayers86
    Options
    Whey protein is best post workout as it is great for muscle recovery and is fast acting. While your body can break down the whey protein relatively quickly pre workout, I typically do not like digesting anything during my workouts as the blood flows to your stomach more so than the other parts of your body that you're actually working. There is more benefit to your body if you take it following your workout.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    FYI- I was never really good at having breakfast , so the protein shake I have in the morning is better than the almost nothing I was having and it has been giving me the extra energy I need. Just to clarify, for snacks, I eat fruit, vegetables yogurts, cheese and nuts.... I try to balance my food.... I eat 2 good healthy meals a day.

To clarify, I should have not used the term "meal replacement" when it came to the whey protein. I just meant that I have a shake with protein instead of breakfast because if not I would eat nothing, thus replacing my meal with something. On weekends when I have more time, I have eggs, fruit, meat....just during the week with work and the kids I am constantly on the go. The granola bar I used to have was not satisfying so I thought I would try out the whey protein. So far so good. 1 scoop of chocolate whey, 1 cup of cold coffee, 1 tsp of Splenda, 1/4-1/2 cup of milk, pleanty of ice cubves....shake and go !!!! PLus I have actually been staying full till lunch

Can you have too much protein ? I don`t want to bulk up or anything. I want to bun some fat and tone some muscles....
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    FYI- I was never really good at having breakfast , so the protein shake I have in the morning is better than the almost nothing I was having and it has been giving me the extra energy I need. Just to clarify, for snacks, I eat fruit, vegetables yogurts, cheese and nuts.... I try to balance my food.... I eat 2 good healthy meals a day.

To clarify, I should have not used the term "meal replacement" when it came to the whey protein. I just meant that I have a shake with protein instead of breakfast because if not I would eat nothing, thus replacing my meal with something.

N oproblem, just don't replace another snack with a protein shake unless you need to, the fewer real meals you eat the tougher it is to get all the nutrients and food groups your body needs for health. IME (work in lifestyle healthcare) it tends to end up that people manage produce and protein but few mineral rich foods or vice versa, some oily fish or dairy but not enough. Nuts are super but seeds tend to be better sources of minerals, you need a surprisingly large amount if you are not eating plenty of beans, lentils and wholegrains.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    After.
  • Dulian25
    Options
    I think you could gain energy from other foods (like whole grains a few hours before your work out to sustain energy.) The most important part of protein is that it repairs muscles and you NEED that. I'd say after : ) just to be sure your muscles get a rest.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are convenience foods, they don't have magical powers whatever the advertising executives would have you believe. IMO they should be limited to once per day because they are a supplement NOT a meal or food replacement. Either as part of a fruit/ veggie smoothie or right after a workout if you need fast repair/ refuelling because you are going again hard the following day. Other than that, most of your diet should be real wholefoods, it's quite possible to get plenty of protein from oily fish, lean red meat, reduced fat dairy, nuts and seeds and you will get a ton of additional essential nutrients nut just protein.

A protein shake before a workout will not automatically make you burn more calories, there is no scientific evidence for that. Be sure you are taking plenty of rest days, overtraining not healthy.

Lol overtraining. Please define overtraining
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you buy the most insane whey quality protein, it still takes ~40-45 minutes to spike AA content in your blood stream. It's only "fast" when compared to what they were using before, casein. The studies that mention the protein timing are using BCAA (Branched-Chains Amino Acids) which spike in ~5 minutes. And in that case, it is more efficient before.

However, read this : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths

Basically, there is no way that you should care about timing that intake... Except if you are a competing body builder, in which case you would probably not ask for advice on this forum...

TL;DR : Don't worry about that... Also, I just saw that this is for CARDIO workout? It's really even less relevant then. Don't worry :p
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is best post workout as it is great for muscle recovery and is fast acting. While your body can break down the whey protein relatively quickly pre workout, I typically do not like digesting anything during my workouts as the blood flows to your stomach more so than the other parts of your body that you're actually working. There is more benefit to your body if you take it following your workout.

I don't usually like anything preworkout because it feels like it drains my energy. Although I don't go hungry either. I usually know when I'm going to the gym so I work a schedule of eating and exercise. I do a protein shake afterwards when I do weight lifting.

As for breakfast, a protein shake is fine, but breakfast should be a carb a protein and a fat to start the day. You don't have to eat traditional breakfast food either. Eat what you like. If you want a piece of chicken, vegetables and a starch, do it. Just like the scale, no one knows unless you tell them.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    AFTER
  • LilMissTalyn
    LilMissTalyn Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this because I was planning on asking the same thing! YAY! Ihate the taste of this stuff though and to add enough other stuff for it to not be so powdery gross makes it way too high in calories for me...uhhhg...I didn't think to try a coffee one though..I have vanilla cream flavored so this might be better! I've been trying to do fruits and veggies..I love smoothies without it grrrr
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I drink mine after I do my workout.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    If you buy the most insane whey quality protein, it still takes ~40-45 minutes to spike AA content in your blood stream. It's only "fast" when compared to what they were using before, casein. The studies that mention the protein timing are using BCAA (Branched-Chains Amino Acids) which spike in ~5 minutes. And in that case, it is more efficient before.

However, read this : http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths

Basically, there is no way that you should care about timing that intake... Except if you are a competing body builder, in which case you would probably not ask for advice on this forum...

TL;DR : Don't worry about that... Also, I just saw that this is for CARDIO workout? It's really even less relevant then. Don't worry :p

^Yep wont make a bit of difference when you have it. Just makes sure you get enough everyday. Eating a lot of protein will not hurt you but it will also not bulk you up more than you could with a normal amount. Anything not needed for recovery or growth will be converted to energy and use or stored depending on total calorie intake.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Very true also some people don't workout well on a full stomach... Former workout partner of mine back in my young, strong, stupid days would throw up every workout session if he'd consumed anything before the workout.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^Yep wont make a bit of difference when you have it. Just makes sure you get enough everyday. Eating a lot of protein will not hurt you but it will also not bulk you up more than you could with a normal amount. Anything not needed for recovery or growth will be converted to energy and use or stored depending on total calorie intake.

^^this
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Protein timing doesn't matter especially with just cardio.

If you want to "lose fat and tone up" I'd suggest heavy weight lifting not cardio and protein shakes.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Protein timing doesn't matter especially with just cardio.

If you want to "lose fat and tone up" I'd suggest heavy weight lifting not cardio and protein shakes.

I am walking 5 days a week for 30-40 mins ....for fresh air....mid-day energy and overall health (lunch hour instead of going to a restaurant or just sitting around) , 3 x 1hr cardio sessions a week(2xTae-Bo 1 x karate), and 3 days of Jillian Michaels Body Revolution that has a combo of weights/squats, cardio and abs....

Heavy lifiting sounds interesting....I just wouldn`t know where to start..... would that help with my last few pounds more than cardio would?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    ^ Yes, lifting will help tremendously with your overall physique.

As for protein timing, I wouldn't even worry about nailing down a specific time. Base it on personal preference/gym performance and don't worry about it beyond that.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Lol overtraining. Please define overtraining

Overtraining

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining

To the OP

I would worry more about your daily macro targets and less about the timing. I tend to before my workouts because I work out better. I tend to eat after my workouts because I'm hungry but overall as long as you're hitting your daily macronutrient goals timing is of little importance.