Heavy lifting

What do you consider heavy enough to fall into the lift very heavy for small reps category? I was reading a blog post about someone that started doing heavy lifting for low reps to gain muscle(a female) rather than lifting smaller weights for longer reps. Does this really work better? And at what weight do you consider it heavy enough to do heavy weight/low reps? Hope that made sense.

Replies

• KaydaRN
    KaydaRN Posts: 48
    As heavy as you can go for 6-12 reps. There is not a magic number for heavy for everyone. Then you build it up. I bench 135-125 range for 6-10 reps for 3 sets. Start as heavy as I can then drop as I need to.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    It's not really a specific term. Generally, most people lifting "heavy" aim for an amount of weight that will cause actual muscle failure (not just fatigue) after 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps. Combining heavy lifting, a high protein diet, and a calorie defecit is arguably the most effective method for improving body composition.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    heavy is relative to you. Anything you can do for 3-8 (or 10 depending on who you ask) reps but NOT for 12 is 'heavy'.

So for me, a 95lb squat is not heavy but for someone else it would be. And for that person, after a few weeks 95 would no longer be 'heavy' and they'd need to add weight.
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Check out the book, "New Lifting Rules for Women." I just got it in the mail, haven't started the program yet (I want to finish reading it first) but it seems pretty awesome. It explains all the reasons lifting heavy is superior, and then goes on to tell you how to actually do it without injuring yourself.

Book: http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398?tag=-00-10-20

MFP Group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Thanks for clarifying that for me! :smile:

I was thinking of buying a bench and up to 100 pounds in weight for home.(I can't get to a gym for many reasons and am not afraid to admit I would be terrified to lift with those guys anyway). I wasn't sure if that would be enough to get me started, but now I think so.

Any point in 50 pounds worth of hand weights too? Or is that overkill?
  • tschaff04
    Check out the book, "New Lifting Rules for Women." I just got it in the mail, haven't started the program yet (I want to finish reading it first) but it seems pretty awesome. It explains all the reasons lifting heavy is superior, and then goes on to tell you how to actually do it without injuring yourself.

Book: http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398?tag=-00-10-20

MFP Group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

Thank you! My only question is can you follow that program from home?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    The problem with lifting at home is that you really need a power rack to safely do squats. Power racks are expensive, and big.
  • tschaff04
    The problem with lifting at home is that you really need a power rack to safely do squats. Power racks are expensive, and big.

:sad: I wish I wasn't a big chicken! Or there was a ladies only gym around here. :laugh:
  • KaydaRN

:sad: I wish I wasn't a big chicken! Or there was a ladies only gym around here. :laugh:

Girl you will only be intimidated the first time. Just be polite, take a friend. There are a good amount of ladies who lift in the free weight areas.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    85%+ of your one rep max. It isn't THE best way to build muscle size, but it is the best way to build strength and some size if you are eating enough.
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145

Thank you! My only question is can you follow that program from home?

There are at-home modifications. A lot of the ladies in the group listed above do it from home so you'll find a lot of support there. Good luck!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty

Girl you will only be intimidated the first time. Just be polite, take a friend. There are a good amount of ladies who lift in the free weight areas.

Seriously, just go. People will pay very little attention to you, and any attention they do give you will be "damn, good for her".
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    heavy lifting for me is 80-95% of my 1 rep max.. which usually mean 3-5 reps and i need 3-5 minutes of rest between sets before i repeat.

just use the gym. usually ladies only gyms have crappy weights, no squat rack and a smith machine. don't be intimidated by the weight room
  • Jamie571
    Jamie571 Posts: 16 Member
    As other people have said just use the gym. The guys in there don't bite at all. In fact they probably won't pay any attention to you. I know the guys at my gym don't :smile:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    I have a trainer that has a warehouse where he trains and he has all the equipment and it's less intimidating to me anyway, he trains Women and Men.
  • KaydaRN
    heavy lifting for me is 80-95% of my 1 rep max.. which usually mean 3-5 reps and i need 3-5 minutes of rest between sets before i repeat.

just use the gym. usually ladies only gyms have crappy weights, no squat rack and a smith machine. don't be intimidated by the weight room

Don't get in the habit of resting that long in between sets... Not very beneficial. Should only be resting 45-90 seconds generally.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    the first time you step into a real weight room, and pick up a real barbell, you will feel a surge of awesomeness such that you have never felt before. you will feel empowered, strong, and badass!

please try going, at least once, to a real weight room. you won't regret it!

(make sure to watch lots of YouTube videos beforehand on proper form!! squats, deadlifts, bench presses & overhead presses)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty

Don't get in the habit of resting that long in between sets... Not very beneficial. Should only be resting 45-90 seconds generally.

Depends on your goals. If your goal is to burn as many calories as possible, shorts rests do that. If your goal is to build strength, long rests are needed. The heavy lifting "experts" all say 3-5 minutes is required.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member

wrong.

you've obviously never lifted anything close to your 1 rep max (which is heavy lifting... the subject of this thread :wink: ) if you're able to rest 45-90 seconds then get back to lifting.
  • nack_14
    nack_14 Posts: 13
    exactly