Under 500 calorie dinners/recipes!

Options
What is the best dinner you have had or made for 500 calories? Ideas please! Thank you!

Replies

• hisclove
    Options
    I made celery and red lentil soup for dinner tonight. It was less than 150 calories. Add chicken to fill you up for longer.
    I also love steak with salad.
    Chicken with asian rice noodle soup or salad. (loads of lemon grass / lime / coriander).
  • dnhardy
    dnhardy Posts: 59
    Options
    There's this tilapia from Sam's Club. Its called Treasures of the Ocean or something really corny like that. But its parmesan crusted and my favorite 250 calories IN THE WORLD. Put that with a salad a little brown rice or noodles or whatever and you've got yourself a meal that you would swear was 1000+ cals
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Fresh vegetable stir fry with a small amount of top sirloin sliced and tossed in it. Yummy!
  • no1belongs
    Options
    Ingredients

1 1/4 pounds beef, boneless top sirloin steak, cut 3/4-inch thick
    2 teaspoon oil, dark sesame
    2 clove(s) garlic, minced
    1 medium pepper(s), red, bell, cut into thin strips
    3 tablespoon soy sauce, less sodium, divided
    3 cup(s) spinach, fresh, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup(s) onion(s), green, sliced
    3 tablespoon ketchup
    2 cup(s) rice, brown, cooked
    Preparation

Cut beef steak lengthwise in half and then crosswise into 1/4 inch strips. Toss with sesame oil and garlic.

Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add beef (1/2 at a time); stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface is no longer pink. Remove from skillet.

In same skillet, add bell pepper, 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 2 tbsp water; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until pepper is crisp-tender. Add spinach and green onions; cook until spinach is just wilted. Stir in ketchup, remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce and beef; heat through. Serve over rice.

bout 344 cal (4 servings)
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Hairy Dieters Book (UK), most of their dinners/lunches are under 500 calories and they are amazing, I've been making their recipes for about 3 months now and have yet to find one I don't like!
  • tarafontz
    tarafontz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please don't think I'm trying to sell anything but I wanted to post my Pampered Chef Facebook link. I have been posting healthy recipes since the 1st of January and there are too many for me to re-type. https://www.facebook.com/#!/ThePamperedChefTaraFontz
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili. 2 cups under 500 cals!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    4 ounces of beef sirloin, fat trimmed off and sliced into thin strips...
    1/4 green bell pepper sliced
    1/4 red bell pepper sliced
    1 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 clove of garlic crushed and minced
    1/2 white onion sliced
    Cook in heavy pan, cast iron really works well... until vegetables and meat are well browned then add the
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    juice of one lime
    Put the fajita meat and veggies on
    jicama mandoline sliced to make jicama tortillas (6 tortillas 7 calories and 1 gram of dietary fiber each...)
    Top with the following:
    2 Tsp homemade pico de gallo salsa (8 plum tomatoes, one white onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, 3 serrano peppers, juice of one lime)
    1/4 avocado
    2 Tsp nonfat plain Greek yogurt
    Total calories: 432... Over 10 grams of dietary fiber...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Pork chop and mixed veggies

398 calories
  • ElanorRigby
    ElanorRigby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I made this soup last week, and it is to die for! Rich tasting and super filling due to all the veggies (including roasted poblano peppers - so easy!), and a cup and a half is a mere 200 calories! Pair it with a few tortilla chips and you're living large! (Or not so large...)
    Easy to make vegetarian, too. I think I might try it that way, next. This soup keeps well and is actually a bit tastier reheated!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/southwestern_chicken_soup.html
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oven Roasted Cod with Ginger & Lime Sauce

Ingredients
    * 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
    * 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
    * 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
    * 1 tablespoon minced shallot
    * 5 teaspoons light or regular olive oil
    * 2 6-ounce Cod fillets (each about 3/4 inch thick)

Preheat oven to 500°F. Mix first 5 ingredients and 3 teaspoons oil in small bowl. Season sauce with salt and pepper.

Brush 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Arrange fish in prepared dish; turn to coat. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper; spoon 1/2 tablespoon sauce over each fillet.

Roast fish until just opaque in center, about 10 minutes. Top fish with remaining sauce and serve.

You can substitute any mild, white-fleshed fish for this recipe. I have used Halibut & Mahi-Mahi with good results. Filets should be at least 3/4" thick to avoid over cooking.

Calories 262
    Carbs 5
    Fat 13
    Protein 32
    Sat. Fat 2
    Mono 9
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Baked chicken breast, marinated in a little teriyaki and soy sauce, 2 cups steamed broccoli and half of a baked potato with a little fat free cheese and I can't believe it's not butter. The meal comes in around 375. Or drop the potato and add a cup of rice, comes in around 400 then.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    check out www.skinnytaste.com There are a TON of recipes that fit your criteria on there and I have yet to make one that wasn't DELISH!
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Easily my favorite are chicken tacos. Season some boneless, skinless chicken breasts, add a little shredded cheese, onion, and lettuce and you have a pretty decent meal that doesn't break the calorie bank. Rather than using fat free sour cream, I like to add Marzetti fat free ranch dip

3 x hard taco shells = 150 calories
    6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast = 268 calories
    3 x pinches of Sargento reduced fat shredded cheddar = 50 calories
    3 TBS Marzetti fat fee southwest ranch dip (would much rather have this than fat free sour cream as it's far more flavorful) = 45 calories.
    Onion and lettuce are negligible.
  • Mverdecia1
    Options
    Easily my favorite are chicken tacos. Season some boneless, skinless chicken breasts, add a little shredded cheese, onion, and lettuce and you have a pretty decent meal that doesn't break the calorie bank. Rather than using fat free sour cream, I like to add Marzetti fat free ranch dip

3 x hard taco shells = 150 calories
    6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast = 268 calories
    3 x pinches of Sargento reduced fat shredded cheddar = 50 calories
    3 TBS Marzetti fat fee southwest ranch dip (would much rather have this than fat free sour cream as it's far more flavorful) = 45 calories.
    Onion and lettuce are negligible.

LOVE Mexican food :)
  • Tonight I had a poor man's peanut thai noodle bowl with veggies.
    I used rice noodles (1 cup cooked is about a single serving),
    A package of frozen-from-fresh veggies
    A little peanut butter (no more than 2tbs)
    A little soy sauce (not even 1 tbs)
    A spritz of lime juice
    A teaspoon of sesame oil
    And a finely chopped rib of green onion for topping.

You cook up your rice noodles (takes about 5 minutes), you steam your veggies, and you drain your noodles, saving a little of the boiling water in a cup. Set aside your noodles in your serving dish.
    In that cup, you put your lime juice, soy sauce, and peanut butter. Stir until totally blended.
    Put some sesame oil in your pan and throw your veggies in, letting them soak up that nutty sesame flavor.
    Then you dump your sauce in and fold until covered evenly.

If it's all hot and steamy, serve it and top with raw green onion. If it's kinda clumpy and ugly looking, add a little water. If it tastes like straight peanut butter, add more soy sauce. If it sticks to the pan, sesame oil.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy and it came out to 465 calories for a very large bowl full that totally stuffed me. :)

Stash away your extra veggies in the fridge and I've had mine be bueno for like two or three days.
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump for the peanut stir-fry recipe. I'm going to use PB2 to cut some calories. Yum!
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you are in the mood for breakfast for dinner here is a favorite of mine:

2 eggs
    1 cup of fresh spinach
    3 tomatoes
    1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Make an omelette with that and it's plenty for dinner.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hey thought of another one!

Its Sweet Potato and Rice Casserole you can make in bulk: 6-8 servings (closer to 8.)

Calories for a BIG serving of filling food: !!!!!!!!!!!!! 376 !!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's a workout day, wait an hour then go back for seconds. ;]

~Link~

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/sweet-potato-and-rice-casserole-/

~End Link~

but if that doesn't work (or you don't feel like clicking a link)

1 large sweet potato (i keep the skin on, that's where all the good nutrients are.) chopped fine.
    1 cup uncooked long grain white rice (I use Lundberg Long Grain Organic White Rice because it's certified gluten free.)
    1-> 15 ounce can of black beans, drained/rinsed.
    1.5 cups of thawed edamame (soybean) (i used the steamed kinds and just popped them out of their skins)
    1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (4 oz) *can go lighter on this*
    1--> 8 oz can of light sour cream
    1---> 4oz can of diced green chile peppers (undrained) i like them mild.
    1/4 cup chopped green onion (about two green onions)
    2 tablespoons of all purpose flour (I just plopped Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free flour in to substitute and it worked great)
    1 tablespoon snipped sage
    2 garlic cloves, minced.
    1 teaspoon salt (1/2 for cooking rice, other 1/2 for wet mixture)

Steps:

Boil 2 cups of water in a sauce pan. My sauce pan is 15 inches, that's probably best. Stir in the sweet potatoes, rice, and the 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes (or until all liquid has been adsorbed).

While that is cooking, Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit. Get a LARGE bowl and mix up your black beans, chile peppers, edamame, cheese, sour cream, green onions, and garlic. Add the other 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix that together.

After the rice/potatoes are done sucking up the water, incorporate them into the mixture of the other ingredients. Put the mixture of all the ingredients into a large enough baking dish, NO GREASE. (I used two separate glass pie baking dishes and it turned out great.)

You /can/ sprinkle more cheese on top. But I didn't.

Bake for 20 minutes.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, top w/sliced onions, cover with salsa verde, bake at 350 for 1 hour. It's even better if you cook on low in crock pot for 4 hours. It's under 300c per serving.

Another is a lean 4 oz. filet mignon (200c) and homemade crab cakes (100c each).

1 lb fresh or canned Dungeoness crab meat
    1/4 cup coconut flour
    2 pastured eggs
    1 bunch of finely chopped scallions
    1 tsp finely chopped shallots (optional)
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    1 tsp cayenne
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp Real Salt
    Directions:

Preheat oven to 400. Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix with hands. Form into patties and put on a plate. Warm up your cast iron skillet to high and melt coconut oil. Cook crab cakes 1 min on each side until golden brown. Transfer whole frying pan into oven for 3-5 more min. Remove and serve.