To Log or Not To Log?

Options
I consider things like cleaning and walking to be part of my daily activity. They are both normal non-strenuous activies for me. (Although I have started walking while having my baby in a wrap...which is definitely a bit more 'work' then more normal walking). I don't drive, so I've always walked everywhere.
My question is, should I bother logging these things? If so, Why?

Replies

• AliciaAnne1984
    Options
    Personally I dont log anything I consider as regular activity. For me to log exercise I need to be doing specific exercise. Cleaning, gardening etc is just life.
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Options
    I would say it depends on your activity level. I have mine set at sedentary because I have a desk job. I do consider house-cleaning a workout, because I do it twice a week for a minimum of an hour at a time with no break. (Detail cleaning implied. I live alone & my house isn't a pigsty. :P)
  • adm603
    adm603 Posts: 48
    Options
    I only log cleaning when it is a big clean. Like scrubbing floors, moving furniture or anything that really makes me sweat. I don't consider daily dusting and vacuuming exercise. I only count the walking of shopping if I go for over 2 or 3 hrs. 1 hour at the grocery store doesn't count for me. I guess it is what you feel is going the extra mile for you. If you aren't going to have the dessert anyway than don't count the exercise :)
  • aadutton
    Options
    i think "normal daily activities"--things you do more days than not--are what you use to decide your activity level (ie sedentary, lightly active, active, etc.). i do not log normal cleaning or walking i do every day that is not my "exercise". i don't log chasing around my 2 eighteen month olds because i do it every day, but as a result, i set my activity setting to "lightly active". i log activity i do for the purpose of "exercise", and sometimes, activity that is way over and above "normal"--some people log "cleaning" that is over and above the norm, i usually don't, but if i did, i would only log something like scrubbing a floor by hand on my hands and knees or something like that that is pretty way over and above the norm.

i don't know if this is right, but this is what i do.
  • healthymebetterme
    Options
    With cleaning, if it's deep cleaning, anything more that what's needed to make the place look ok, I will log. With walking, I log my walk to and from college even though it's a regular thing and if I walk to anywhere but if it's walking about town, doing food shopping etc I won't log that.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was just about to ask almost the same question. I walk everyday to work, which ends up being two miles total for the day, and I have been logging it, but didn't know if I should keep including it or not, as it is an everyday activity.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can log anything you like if you like to see activity on your daily record. If you log it looking for more to eat or if having those calories added to your budget is a problem then I'd leave it out or assign it 0 calories. If you have to search for more to eat then you probably have your budget set too low.
  • aadutton
    Options
    I was just about to ask almost the same question. I walk everyday to work, which ends up being two miles total for the day, and I have been logging it, but didn't know if I should keep including it or not, as it is an everyday activity.

if this is the extent of your daily activity, you could probably set your settings to "sedentary" and then log it. or, you could probably set your settings to "lightly active", and don't log it. my guess is that it's close to a wash. remember that if you log it, mfp is known to overestimate actual calories you burn.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i'd suggest only log what you do solely for losing weight. that's cardio exercises like the elliptical, walking on a treadmill, running, etc.

anything else and you run the risk of over-estimating your true calorie burn.

if you do alot of daily activities that you think could count as cardio, then get a heart rate monitor and figure out if you should bump up to the next activity level multiplier for your BMR calculations.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I only log "normal" activity if I go above & beyond or increase my heart rate....normal cleaning the kitchen I don't count, moving firewood I count....I try not to get in the habit of logging everything...I would only use it as an excuse to eat up more calories I don't need....
  • ldressle66
    Options
    Walking two miles a day consistently is excercise in my book. I would definitely log it.

You could invest in a pedometer to see how many steps you are walking each day.

Lisa
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you consider exercise. I walk to the bus stop every morning and walk back from school every afternoon and although I log those and times when I walk up to the village during breaks I don't log when I am walking too or from my lessons, because I generally don't walk for long enough or I am too busy to really log.
    My rule is if it's not 5 mins of intended exercise it doesn't go on, but it's up to you at the end of the day.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    The figures in MFP for many of the activities are somewhat over estimated so generally (pre Body Media Fit Link) I only logged the more purposeful activities.
  • AliciaAnne1984
    Options
    This ^^

I think most people who log cleaning etc tend to vastly overestimate calories.

If that's what works for you though then do it :)

(oopps - ^^this was in response to winnervictorious)
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I consider things like cleaning and walking to be part of my daily activity. They are both normal non-strenuous activies for me. (Although I have started walking while having my baby in a wrap...which is definitely a bit more 'work' then more normal walking). I don't drive, so I've always walked everywhere.

I am not logging cleaning or walking at all. It is an activity which I consider like to eat breakfast every day. I only log workout where I really kick my butt.
  • aadutton
    Options
    i had a friend, for a while, that would log 8 hours of "jogging, 5.0 mph" for her work shift. a) no, you didn't. and b) if you work on your feet, set your activity level to "active" and don't lie to yourself. i view exercise as a "you know it when you see it" type thing, and if you aren't sure, you should probably lean toward "it's not."
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning, but only because I'm a slob and never clean.

:)

Just kidding, I never log cleaning.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

No: they ARE part of your daily activity according to standard definitions and the calories are accounted for when you list yourself as sedentary/ lightly active/ active, any fitness professional should tell you that. Some people on here want to make up their own definition of the words exercise and sedentary, they may as well try to redefine a calorie as far as I am concerned (studied this stuff at degree level).
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    If I really feel my heart pumping when I'm doing something, like running heavy things up and down the stairs for at least 15 minutes, then I log it. However, things like cleaning or walking places when I'm not trying to sweat doesn't really count to me. I can understand if people are on very low cal diets they may want to track an extra 50 or 100 calories burned but it's not really necessary for me. I'm 295(ish) so 50 cals is a drop in the bucket.
  • flying_inside
    flying_inside Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I log walking and log at a slower MPH, to ensure I don't mislead myself. I feel it's worth logging if you do more than a few minutes a day of it as it adds up.

Also agree w/it depending on how active you said you are when you set up your goals. Mine's at sedentary, so every bit helps! :)