Help - Vibro Plate

Options
Hi Everybody,

Just wondering has anybody else used a vibro plate before? I have a vibration plate - can't think of the brand off hand. To do five minutes would rack up over 200 - 300 calories burned - which I just wouldn't feel comfortable logging as it does not equal "real exercise"

I was lured by the toning up side of the plate and wasn't too sure if they worked. A few people I knowo tried them and said they lost pounds - however I feel that if you are doing something like vibration plates - you are prob making some kind of effort in eating healthy.

What are your opinions? As mentioned I just feel the reading on my machine is telling I've lost far too many!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You could just sit on the washing machine and it would be cheaper. Probably do as much for you too.
  • duckdani
    duckdani Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You could just sit on the washing machine and it would be cheaper. Probably do as much for you too.

might get a few odd looks from the people i live with though ...
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Most of the home ones are not powerful enough to do anything much, technique during the exercises is important too.
  • duckdani
    Options
    Most of the home ones are not powerful enough to do anything much, technique during the exercises is important too.
    Thanks Firefox - think thats a lot of my problem - I've watched videos and stuff but still can't seem to get "comfortable" on it. Not in a sense that I would be tired - but more that I would feel i'm not doing it right. :frown:
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    We have had one of these at work for 5-6 years now. One of the very early models, but still works on the same principal. From my observation, and the observations of my co-workers, there is really no truth to the vibration plate's effectiveness at burning calories. Several of the women scientists have plotted a graph to that effect with one using the vibration plate and dietary changes and another just using dietary changes alone- both were comparable in height/ weight/ body fat %/ etc etc. (And a third as 'controll' because she didn't want to participate) The one who used the plate and the diet, and the one who used diet alone basically had the same % weight loss within a small margin of error. (The one who didn't want to participate ended up loosing much more because she exercised after work for 30min. every day.) Conclusion: The Vibration Plate works great on sore feet/ backs/ buts etc. but as a weight loss gimmic, not so much. Exercise and strength training seems to beat it hands down.
    (Yes, I admit, the sample size was very small and the data was skewed as a result however, they did do it for just about a year and month to month their weight loss could easilly be explained by dietary changes.)
  • duckdani
    Options
    We have had one of these at work for 5-6 years now. One of the very early models, but still works on the same principal. From my observation, and the observations of my co-workers, there is really no truth to the vibration plate's effectiveness at burning calories. Several of the women scientists have plotted a graph to that effect with one using the vibration plate and dietary changes and another just using dietary changes alone- both were comparable in height/ weight/ body fat %/ etc etc. (And a third as 'controll' because she didn't want to participate) The one who used the plate and the diet, and the one who used diet alone basically had the same % weight loss within a small margin of error. (The one who didn't want to participate ended up loosing much more because she exercised after work for 30min. every day.) Conclusion: The Vibration Plate works great on sore feet/ backs/ buts etc. but as a weight loss gimmic, not so much. Exercise and strength training seems to beat it hands down.
    (Yes, I admit, the sample size was very small and the data was skewed as a result however, they did do it for just about a year and month to month their weight loss could easilly be explained by dietary changes.)

Thanks - this is very interesting to come from somebody who has actually tracked it - Google just brings up so many people trying to plug their own products. I think it is actually quite nice to do after a workout almost as a warm down - but as mentioned I can't warm to it as a part of cardio! Thanks for the detailed reponse!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the claims of sellers of vibroplates are unfounded. When they mention that you can get the same workout on a vibroplate in 10 minutes to equal 60 minutes of actual exercise, one should be wary.
    While there is evidence that one's strength can be increased (study I've read showed evidence of strength increase in squat weight while performing on vibroplate) not many are going to be comfortable with an Oly bar on their back while squatting on a vibroplate.
    Sorry to say that you might have paid a lot for a machine that only offers minimal results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jojo1410
    jojo1410 Posts: 151
    Options
    Well, I'm ashamed to say I used to have one of these and did it work??? NO!!! Don't waste your time and don't kid yourself that it will work. It's boring and ineffective and leaves you feeling slightly uncomfortable because deep down you know it's just not going to cut it!
    I sold mine, started walking, then yoga, now 30 Day Shred and have just signed up for a 56 mile charity bike ride and I gotta tell ya, it's way more fun and the feeling of accomplishment can't be equalled! x
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have a small one at home and love it for different reasons. the benefits I find? it has increased my circulation, and my core strength. I do planks on it, dips, squats, etc. sometimes I just stand there but I tuck in my pelvis and engage my core. I find that it helps flush out lactic acid from my muscles and I'm not as sore the next day from bootcamp or heavy lifting days. I enjoy it for the way it makes me feel but don't log it as calories burned. I have also switched to the tdee less 15% so only log my exercise as 1 cal now anyway :)