When did people start to notice loss?

Options

Replies

• ToshaFeb268
    Options
    Most of my family members told me this past holiday that they can tell in my face. My hubby says he can feel a difference when he puts his arms around me and also I have shoulders and a collar bone again. This is after taking off 32 pounds altogether. I started tracking on MFP a month ago. I still have a ways to go. I wish you well!:happy:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Depends on a lot of things:

Percentage of your original weight (5 pounds on a 100 pound person is noticeable, but not so much on a 300 pounder)
    How frequently they see you
    Clothes you wear (if you continue wearing old baggy stuff it's harder to notice)
    Social issues (do they feel comfortable saying this to you? Are you likely to bite their head off, cry, or call HR?)

I had some relatives comment around the 20-pound mark (about 10%) who didn't see me frequently.
    A freind's wife noticed not when I lost the weight, but when I went down 2 shirt sizes.

Still, it's best not to care all that much. I started without telling anyone, and so never expected or desired any comments.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm down 20lbs and no one notices. Honestly, in the past, at about 50lbs people start asking if I've done something with my hair! lol
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am down 55 and people have just started to notice. When you have as much to lose as I do, it takes a lot more for people to realize that you have lost. :bigsmile:
  • tnichol4
    tnichol4 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started at 248 and when I had lost about 25 pounds some people started to notice. When I got to 60 there was a huge notice especially from people I see every day.
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    About 2 weeks into the 30 Day Shred people started commenting. My father-in-law insisted that I must've lost about 7 kg (I hadn't lost any weight). No one knew I was doing it. I'm about 6 weeks into modifying my diet and exercising regularly and a lot of people have commented (even people who see me every day). The scale still hasn't budged (but my tape measure is my best friend).

This^^ People are beginning to comment that I've lost so much weight (in reality only 6lbs). My main focus is adding strength, so I've lost a ton of inches, but very little weight.

note: 6 pounds recently (11 over-all per the tracker :) )
  • shelliehb
    shelliehb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How much is a stone?
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    A stone is 14lbs

People started to comment at about 30lbs, but some male colleagues later said they had noticed but didn't want to say anything for fear of seeming odd. I think that as I am a senior manager may also have inhibited the male colleagues. Once I reaced 40 lbsI was getting almost daily comments. What surprised me was being asked if it was intentional, I was quick to tell them yes and it took effort and dedication, I didn't just happen to lose the weight, if only!
  • CChandler81
    CChandler81 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It was between the 15-20lbs down mark that people *really* started to notice.
  • fifteentogotogo
    Options
    Hello there from Cali!

For me it was about 20 lbs when people began noticing and commenting. I just joined MYP, but have lost 26 lbs. since my quest for weight loss began.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The positive, supportive people noticed /commented about 20 lbs in (I have a LOT to lose though). My own mother has yet to notice with 60 lbs lost. I think it just depends, and as others have said, some people just aren't comfortable saying anything at all.
  • jrauch10
    jrauch10 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My experience is similar to others. For people who see me every day, around 15-20 lbs is when they began to notice. Some keen people who I don't see that often noticed at around 10lbs.
  • orangefour
    orangefour Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others said, some people may notice but won't say anything because weight is a touchy subject. I've had a few people tell me that others have commented on my weight loss to them, but didn't want to offend me so they didn't say it directly to me. I would never be offended for someone noticing my hard work! :bigsmile:

I think my first comment about my loss (besides family that sees me everyday) was when I was at 30 pounds lost.
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs so far and I was able to notice after about 10lbs down and others it seemed like it was after 20lbs. Now people notice a lot though lol. =]
  • WAnnB
    WAnnB Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think it was when I started wearing clothes to match my weight loss.
  • semhe
    semhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    people close to me noticed at 20... EVERYONE noticed at 40
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    it took 20 lbs before anyone nnotice, I could tell in 4 weeks
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For me it was after 20 pounds and when I got nicer fitting clothes - larger clothes really mask excess weight as much as their hide its loss.
  • Vercell
    Options
    Have you ever heard of the paper towel analogy? I am sure I am going to mess up a bit in the retelling, but here you go:

Imagine you are a full roll of paper towels and each sheet is a pound of fat.
    Take one sheet off. Do you see a difference? Probably not.
    Take another one. Probably still no difference.
    As you get closer to the center of the roll, however, each sheet wraps around the base more often, so each "layer" is more noticeable.

From personal experience? I had a ton to lose and the first 20-30 pounds were hardly noticeable at all. I blogged about it last summer, when I was at my lightest:
    http://coryida.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/a-timeline-of-my-progress-with-lots-of-pictures/
  • Vercell
    Options
    i like that quote.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!