How do you break the addiction to fast food?

Options

Replies

• trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Logging calories did it for me. I went from a daily thing to a once a week "treat" thing and now I'm trying to somewhat snub out once a week. The calories shocked me enough to get off of it. I just wanted to loose weight bad enough for that to matter as much as it did.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    This is really hard for me to discuss... I was in a relationship with fast food for ten years. TEN YEARS.

Do you know how hard it is to be with someone ten years and they never say "I love you"? I kept holding out for it, but eventually I realized I deserved better and I had to walk away. One day you will get there, too.

Oh, how I love you 1CG.

In my case I married a man who refuses to eat that *kitten*. Problem solved. (But that only applies to the big fast food chains, like McDonald's, Burger King, etc.)

Cuddlefest! <3
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just break up
    DENIAL!
    That's a sure sign of addiction...:sad:
  • Carpaydeeum
    Options
    Simple, dont eat it.

I agree BUT... Its not that easy...my fastfoofd addiction was a love of the sugar high...a high from the carb, fat, protien high...the ritual of comfort food and "me" time that it gives...my connection of eating out with beingtreated special by my family....and the fact i just like the taste o some fast food items....

I could only "just stop eating it" when i began to unravel these telated issues and began to retrain myself...

It is as simple as just stopping...but unless the underlying issues are addressed you'll come back.

Send me a message if you want to talk about how im specifically addressing heae issues daily...
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    COLD TURKEY! That's it!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't think addiction means what you think it means. Take your lunch to work and plan yummy dinners for yourself.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Once I changed my eating habits, I naturally no longer wanted or craved fast food. Now, I cannot even eat a burger and fries from a diner without feeling like I'm going to die for a week, my body just rejects "junk"
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Trade it for another vice, like smoking!
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the secret as well, I guess at the end of the day it's all about will power. Just don't go to a fast food restaurant. Just don't eat fast food. That's what I do. I stay away :drinker:
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am picking up the vibe that people think that food (nasty greasy junk food) is a special addiction and we should all go softer on everyone about it. Guess what? Obesity is just as bad as alcoholism. Quitting fast food is the same as quitting drinking. I quit drinking to lose weight AND quit smoking and fast food at the same time. If I can do all three at once (and my husband and children are still alive haha) YOU can quit your little burger problem. Trust me! ;-)
  • cdspark
    cdspark Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Be prepared. Have your lunch/snacks ready to go the night before so you do not have to resort to it. Avoid it as an excuse for dinner because you are busy. Try to prep the night before if you come home starving, you can get things going quicker and it doesn't feel like you are slaving in the kitchen.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Wel first of all I know how nasty all that processed food is, that was turn off number one, number two being that we simply could not afford to eat out, we spend less money when I cook here at home. But my best advice to you would be, pack your lunch and snacks whenever you are going out or to work. If you have it on hand it saves you time and money from going out somewhere!
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    4 things:

1. Start eating less salt. When you go to a fast food joint--your mouth will HATE you for all the salt they use. If you get used to eating less salt, you notice that it's SO SALTY and changes the taste.

2. Read Fast Food Nation

3. Bank account--so much money used to go to "food on the run." It was ridiculous. I'm a grad student and could be putting all that money to better use than gross food.

4. Just look up some ingredient lists. Now I'm not a purist in thinking that I should be able to pronounce absolutely everything in a food....but I think 80% is fair. Fast food ingredients are maybe 5% able to pronounce.

It's just a habit. How do you break other habits? Use those skills for this! :)
  • blacklaceroses
    blacklaceroses Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Money............think of all the money you will save.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Just break up

Learn how to use it, or don't use it at all..
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Just understand how gross the food is.

I mean, if you can't see that, then, I guess just eat it. But, ew, and gross. It's not real food.
  • jello1369
    jello1369 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My biggest way of blocking out fast food is to simply not allow my car to drive there. Granted on some occasions in the past, my car diverted when I didn't expect it.

I still allow myself some fast food, like panda express chinese food. In the past, I downloaded the nutritional info for the fast food places I was going to allow myself to visit on occasion. It helped if I knew what I was going to order before I got there.

I still use that tactic for when I visit regular restaurants. I know exactly what I am going to eat well before I arrive.
  • magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i stopped driving through the drive throughs.
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I still go get fast food frequently ... it's sometimes a necessity when I'm running around with my schedule, and the kid's schedule, etc. The key is moderation. Getting a kid's meal, eating the fruit option instead of the fries, not eating the bread on the burger, or whatever.

I used to go get fast food every day ... I don't do it as much and I do reap the rewards. My bank account seems to show a higher number, my scale seems to show a lower number. Hmmm ... of course, I have to do a bit more cooking, but that's okay.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Understanding that the macros in the fast food make you crave them more and more. Treat it like cigarettes or drugs and assume if you purge your body of the toxins, you won't jones for them. The less you eat it, the less you want it, and the worse it actually tastes also. You'll wonder how you ever liked it at all.