Wheat Belly

Options

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've never read Wheat Belly, but I noticed a long time ago that pasta made my ulcerative colitis flare badly. I've recently stopped eating bread, too, although bread never gave as dramatic a reaction as pasta.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free does not mean you have to give up on cookies and pastries!

No, you're right, there are still cookies and pastries that taste gross that you can eat
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone here has gone wheat/gluten free after reading Wheat Belly.

I did a trial period late last summer and had great results. Increased energy, decreased stomach distension, clearer skin, fewer headaches/backaches, etc. But, it is a complete lifestyle change and I was not ready to adopt it fully just yet.

My husband and I are thinking of getting back on the wagon and making a permanent change, especially now that there's been some success clearing up A.fib (hubby has it).

So, I'm looking for some wheat belly buddies, if you're out there, shoot me a friend request!

Thanks!

Only the gullible fall for Wheat Belly and it's nonsense

^^^You are always SO helpful

Back on topic:

I have not read the book but am familiar with the concept, and I went Paleo in April. I don't have any food allergies or stomach issues, but I feel so much better in general, AND am 18 pounds lighter.

I was not overweight, but a normal healthy weight when I began. I just wanted too be a few pounds lighter and was frustrated for years with regular exercise and a low fat diet.

I love bacon!

Yes, I think there maybe something to this idea ;)
  • mani_r
    mani_r Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm reading it currently.

Firstly, I think there is definitely something to going gluten free, but I'm not sure if the author is being scientific in his presentation of past research findings.

I do find my belly feels a lot better (and looks flatter) when I don't eat wheat products. But at the sametime, I think it's important to minimize gluten-free products as well (as advocated by the author). A lot of these are much higher in calories than their wheat counterparts.

However, I find now, since trying to be gluten free, if I do cheat (like when I ordered pizza on the weekend), I feel that my reaction to the wheat products is worse than when I regularly ate it (get even more bloated).

Plus I miss the fiber that wheat products had and have to go out of my way to add fiber to my diet now.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I started Paleo on 1/1/13 to try something new.. wasnt having any luck in 12 months counting calories and killing myself at the gym. in 7 days I'm down 7 lbs.. and only with walking on my lunch break. I feel alot less bloated, certainly getting plenty of fiber aka veggies and protien. No grains, just light dairy (cheese in my salads). I feel great.. I have great hopes for this change of eating habits.
  • gabby365
    gabby365 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I read the book... but don't believe in TOTAL elimination. I have cut back tremendously. And I still look 9 months pregnant :sad:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Read this instead of the book. Wheat Belly is unsupported nonsense to sell books.

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.ca/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone here has gone wheat/gluten free after reading Wheat Belly.

I did a trial period late last summer and had great results. Increased energy, decreased stomach distension, clearer skin, fewer headaches/backaches, etc. But, it is a complete lifestyle change and I was not ready to adopt it fully just yet.

My husband and I are thinking of getting back on the wagon and making a permanent change, especially now that there's been some success clearing up A.fib (hubby has it).

So, I'm looking for some wheat belly buddies, if you're out there, shoot me a friend request!

Thanks!

Only the gullible fall for Wheat Belly and it's nonsense

couldn't agree more
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think you (mad who said its rubish) are a little narrow minded. Going gluten free repaired my health. I have the gene tests to prove I have a problem with it. Consider yourself lucky if you don't.

The blood test for gluten isn't very accurate. There is a stool test that is better, but if you don't eat wheat and feel better, then eat and feel awful, what more could you want?

You can't just cut down, you have to eliminate every molecule!!!!!!!
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I haven't read that book, but I have been gluten free for over a year now. I believe I read that up to 30% of people in the US have a gluten intolerance (not celiac, just an intolerance). My Dr's think I have celiac because of other autoimmune problems, but I've never been officially tested.

I think that a lot of people would feel a lot better trying a gluten free diet, but really having nothing to do with losing weight. I've lost weight through diet and exercise, not because of removing gluten. At the end of the day I feel that trying a gluten free diet is safe, and at worse you waste 6 weeks or so of your time on a diet that is healthy and find you don't feel any better. You don't really lose anything by trying it.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the book until after I had been gluten-free for many months. During those months, I went from 12 medications down to 2 medications. I am now down to 1 medication.

The number of health issues that I had really made me wonder about what was going on. Was it what happened with old age? Or was something else at play? I decided to toy with my diet. First I tried getting rid of lactose, but saw no results. Then I tried to go gluten-free and WHAM! the results were amazing.

No more:

joint pain
    sores on face, scalp, and back
    migraines
    bloating and abdominal pain
    nausea and vomiting
    neuralgia in my feet, face, and abdomen
    tachycardia
    asthma (yes, this amazed me)
    allergies (to common things, which also amazed me)

I suppose that my system had had enough of gluten and was rebelling. Giving it up was the best thing that I have ever done. I suggest people try it and see if it helps them, because you never know.

My gastroenterologist said that I probably am allergic to gluten. My family practitioner is amazed and says she will look at diet differently from now on.
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also recommend that you don't try to substitute foods like bread. Just eat food that is naturally GF. You won't miss it after a while. I did cry in the grocery store for the first few months! haha
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Don't believe half the crap you read in a book. BUT, if you try making a change and it works for you then keep doing it, as long as you're not lacking on nutrition or going over your macros.

Personally, I am in the process of cutting out gluten because I do have a slight allergy to it. Give me a piece of wheat toast and before I can finish it my stomach will be so bloated I lay on the couch for an hour. Not very conducive to a healthy lifestyle.

A good friend of mine who has suffered from Celiac's for a number of years gave me some good advice. She said that if you find it in the gluten free section of the grocery store, chances are it won't taste too good. But if it's in the regular aisles and happens to say gluten free then you have a shot of finding something yummy. I ate tacos last night for the first time in months thanks to the gluten free tortillas I found right there on the regular shelves.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have not read the book but I am gluten free. My daughter is gluten intolerant so we went gluten free at home just to make my life easier and so we don't have to worry about cross contamination. When we did that I realized I was feeling a little bit better so I went completely gluten free even outside the home, whereas before I'd eat whatever I wanted when away from home. After several weeks I decided to test myself and ate some gluten and was completely miserable. My fibromyalgia is so much worse when I'm eating food with gluten in it and I suspect that there are other grains that are problematic for me too. I'm still in denial over that though because it would mean cutting out popcorn and I love popcorn!

Being gluten free can be a major pain in the butt if you don't have to be! They sneak it into everything! The safest and probably healthiest course of action is to eat mostly whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, cuts of meat, nuts; those types of foods when not messed with are all naturally gluten free and for the most part, good for you.
  • busybee507
    Options
    To be clear (to the negative Nelly's out there), I never said I was bowing down and calling Dr. Davis my savior. I simply asked what everyone else's experience with the book, and/or being wheat/gluten free was. If you don't like the concept, then don't live by it. No need to rain on everyone else's parade.

To everyone else - Thank you for your honest answers and opinions! I agree with much of the Paleo lifestyle as well, but I haven't done much more than glance over it.

While I was on my trial period of wheat/gluten free I was careful NOT to go shopping for "gluten-free" labeled foods. That's dangerous. Too much added sugar to try and make it taste edible.

Personally, I am a proponent of a naturally gluten free lifestyle. Fruits and veggies are fine with me. Although I DO love a good hot, crusty french loaf... Sorry, snapping back to the present ;-)

I see some of you have friended me, and I have accepted. Thank you! And I hope we have a successful healthy, weight-loss journey together - regardless of our methods :)
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't know... I have been eating a mostly plant based diet, and should have been losing weight, but wasn't. In December I cut out wheat. I lost 10# in 10 days, and have felt better. I am keeping it out of my diet till June, and reevaluating...

I will say cutting out meat, dairy, eggs, and gluten certainly makes for a clean veggie filled diet!
  • busybee507
    Options
    I don't know... I have been eating a mostly plant based diet, and should have been losing weight, but wasn't. In December I cut out wheat. I lost 10# in 10 days, and have felt better. I am keeping it out of my diet till June, and reevaluating...

I will say cutting out meat, dairy, eggs, and gluten certainly makes for a clean veggie filled diet!

Have you ever read the book "Make ShiFt Happen" by Dean Dwyer? I actually read that BEFORE Wheat Belly and I found it much more inspiring!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Can you give some example meals? Seems like a lot to cut out! I already don't eat meat and am thinking of cutting out gluten and dairy (though I love eggs)
  • kannd86
    kannd86 Posts: 42
    Options
    I haven't read the book, but have poked around the blog, and heard the author on a podcast. I agree that what we call wheat today barely resembles what was called wheat 100 years ago. Everything is genetically modified and simply CAN'T be good for us. I cut out wheat (and all grains) about 6 weeks ago, and lost 12ish pounds mostly from the belly area. But not eating wheat is about more than weight loss. I believe we'd all be a lot healthier without it.
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Can you give some example meals? Seems like a lot to cut out! I already don't eat meat and am thinking of cutting out gluten and dairy (though I love eggs)

Well, for breakfast I often have a green smoothie - frozen banana, berries, some juice or water, and 2-3 cups of kale or spinach. I don't like a big breakfast so this is perfect for me, and normally around 300 calories.

Lunch, I'll eat hummus, with celery and carrot sticks; or a huge salad. A salad might be baby kale, diced tomato, some chickpeas or butterbeans, and then I mash 1/2 an avocado with it. Or I might

Dinner I cook for the family. We try to have dinner together. The other night I made a Thai peanut stir fry, using rice noodles, siracha chili, natural peanut butter, broccoli, carrots, spinach, and mushrooms. Or I made a great sweet potato lasagna last week too. I used Tofu and italian seasonings for the ricotta, and a veggie mixture (onions, mushrooms, diced red pepper, broccoli) for the meat, and layered spinach and kale as the 'noodle' layers, along with mashed sweet potato. It was amazing! We had fried rice the other day too - crumbled up tofu, and browned it and rice along with veggies and Bragg Liquid Aminos. Delicious.

The hardest part is the bread, just because I was a bread junkie. Every time I want to eat bread, I just eat more veggies :). I feel really good, everyone else loves the food too, and we just gave away all our pasta.

For eggs, tofu is an excellent replacement. I use tofu, (non GMO/Organic), nutritional yeast, and salt along with vegenaise to make egg salad, or potato salad. I also will once in awhile make a tofu scramble that is a dead ringer for eggs. Just make sure you press the tofu correctly. Happyherbivore.com has a lot of recipes for that.

My sister, who also eats a plant based strict diet due to a health concern, is also struggling with weightloss, and is thinking about trying to cut out wheat. The biggest difference I have seen is I am not hungry anymore. It has seriously cut down on my sugar cravings. Feel free to friend me if you want to chat more :)