Thryoid Problems - Need Help!

Options
We've finally discovered part of the reason I can't lose weight very easily is because I have Hypothyroidism. (Feel free to message me if you aren't sure what it is.) They have me on medication to sort out my thyroid, and are adjusting it as we go to find the right dosage, but I still can't seem to lose the weight and keep it off.

I work out almost every day, I eat right, I don't drink pop or much coffee at all, and still seem to yo-yo around 165. My goal weight is 125-130, which is the suggest weight I be at for my height. For example, within a week I went from 170 to 163. I thought I'd hit something big time, and it felt amazing to lose 7 pounds in a little over a week. And, here I am, 4 days later, and I'm back to 166. I haven't binged and have still been working out and drinking a lot of water (I drink at least 4 or 5 athletic style water bottles a day). I don't know where this weight came from at all.

Any help?

Replies

• NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Be patient while they figure out the dosage on your thyroid medication. They've been adjusting mine since August; I get blood drawn in a week or so, and we're hoping this time my levels are acceptable. Watch for other symptoms to be relieved, not just your weight: fatigue, hair loss (big one for me), etc. That's a sign you're on the right track, and the weight will come off in time.

As to losing and gaining, fluctuation is normal, especially within a 4-day period. I try to only weigh once a week, or if I do weigh in between, I don't log it. The 7 pound loss could have been due to slight dehydration and the 4 pound gain might have been water weight, but honestly, who knows. Track the trend rather than the minutiae of each day.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    give it time, you may not find the perfect dose for a long time! don't eat soy and watch your sodium. i find i gain water weight extremely easily and a hard time getting it off... i finally have hit my perfect dose after 10 years or more.... i finally feel good. Once i got my lst dose upped, that is when the weight started to come off but i still watched what i ate, logged everything and especially my sodium.
  • brocks2
    Options
    Find a endocrinologist if you don't already have one.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    they don't always help... mine didn't at all and i am trying to get a new one now...
  • jenmast
    jenmast Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It takes a great deal of time to sort out the dosage. I had my thyroid removed in March after a large mass was found after an ultrasound. Take the medications according to the directions. If it is Synthroid, take it an hour before you eat and with water. I found that helped me absorb the meds and I lost weight when I stuck with those particular directions. Congratulations on your determination and keep your doctor in the loop. Good luck
  • TEEniDEE
    Options
    I had a total thyroidectomy and am taking levothyroxine. I gained 4 lbs since November and I do not know why. I exercise and eat right. My doctor says that my medication dosage is accurate. I'm hoping that logging everything on MFP will help me lose this excess weight. Stay encouraged, I am sure that everything will work out for you and I :smile:
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I too have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Frustrating for sure. This time last year as usual I had made the effort to get back in shape after the holidays. After 2.5 months of tracking calories and exercising 1-2 hours a day I ended up with a 1 pound loss and no decrease in body fat%.

After researching symptoms of fatigue and low sexual desire along with the results I wasn't getting I thought I might be suffering from low T. I discussed things with my doctor when I went for routine blood work. After results came back Testosterone was fine but thyroid levels were low. Oh joy another pill.... after researching that the symptoms were basically the same. After a week or two, I began to have a little more pep in my step, along with desire and some weight loss.

Things remained steady through out the summer until fall came. I noticed I had started to get a little sluggish again, along with some weight gain, despite working out. So during my normal yearly physical tests it came out thyroid levels were low again. Increase your dose. Energy levels came back up as well as weight.

The 1st of December I jumped in with both feet on the exercise wagon along with tracking calories. I'm currently exactly the same weight as I was on the 1st of December, although body fat actually had come down the last couple of days until this morning.

Hopefully something will break soon....
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Found this thread this morning:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/135878-hypothyroidism

Lot's of good information!
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroid in 2002, just after my wedding. I was dieting before my wedding, but every dress fitting the dress got tighter and tighter. By the last 2 days of my honeymoon, none of the clothes I packed fit. It took about a year of playing with the dosage to get one that made me feel better. I didn't start trying to lose the weight until I'd been stable for 6 months, but I would imagine trying when the dosage was still off would have been frustrating.

I will say that the "normal range" is in fact a range. There is no magic number that is right for everyone. Some people operate best smack in the middle. Some people operate best to one side or the other. And a few people function best just outside the range. It's about more than the number, but also about the lack of symptoms. My first hints that things are off are itchy ear-drums and hair loss.

Another thing to keep in mind is taking your meds on an empty stomach and not taking vitamins for at least 4 hours afterwards.
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I no longer have a thyroid. One of the things that I learned was that the generic synthroid did not work for me. I needed the brand name.
    Scales are not the best way to track your progress. Your weight will fluctuate and that is natural. Instead of only focusing on the numbers on the scale, do you have some jeans that are a little tight? Use them as a measurement, when they fit better it will mean more than pounds on the scal.
  • Biggoal50
    Biggoal50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi! I"m Hypo since 2006. It's tough sometimes! Definitely monitor your levels AND your symptoms. I had very high numbers but my results were still in the "normal" range, However, my symptoms were horrible. I was falling asleep while sitting up and losing hair by the handfuls. I had a sluggish metabolism, dry skin and nails, and felt 'blah' overall. Thank God I had an awesome endocrinologist. He gave me medication and tweaked it until I felt like my old self. Weight loss is dificult for me, but it's doable as long as I track my calories and exercise! Good luck.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Educate yourself.

http://stopthethyroidmadness.com

http://about.thyroid.com

"Normal" for some random people in the population does NOT mean "normal" or even healthy for you.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Find a endocrinologist if you don't already have one.

With all due respect, they are often the LAST people you want taking care of hypo. I've had a LOT of luck with my very well educated PCP.
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ive been on synthroid for 11 yrs. First of all dont take the generic (levothyroxin) its not as effective, and the normal range is wide, wt. gain and tiredness sends me to the doc. to get ajusted, listen to your body!
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Well, I first had hyperthyroid, everything I ate, went right through me. I was always hungry, but very sick. So I went through nuclear medicine to stop my thyroid from overworking. Now I struggle to lose weight. I am very faithful in taking my meds, since it has been about 20 years since radioactive iodine therapy.

Need to remember to take it first thing in the morning, don't take any vitamins with it, wait till later in the day to take any supplements.
  • blv25
    blv25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a few months after I delivered my second child, this past spring. I lost about 10 pounds in a month, and was feeling decent despite my symptoms. I started logging calories and used it to my advantage to lose weight. I got to a 22 pound weight loss when suddenly it halted..and then over the course of the last month I have gained 7 pounds back. My endocrinologist sent me back in for a re-check and found out last week I am now hypothyroid. I have just started taking synthroid (generic). I have been working out 5-6 days a week, and logging every single calorie I ingest, with no luck. I am just maintaining weight at this point. It is very frustrating to work your butt off to only maintain weight. I feel like stopping, but know that if I do I will only make it worse on myself and end up gaining weight. I feel all of your pain :/