How much protein and why?

Options
My diary says I need 48 grams of protein. I actually have to make sure I get enough because I'd be content just eating vegetables all day. My question is why do I need 48 grams? Do I need more if I'm lifting weights or just working out more in general?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My diary says I need 48 grams of protein. I actually have to make sure I get enough because I'd be content just eating vegetables all day. My question is why do I need 48 grams? Do I need more if I'm lifting weights or just working out more in general?

This may help: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/questions/protein-questions/index.html#howmuch
    How much protein do I need each day?
    There is no one-size-fits-all answer to that question, and research on the topic is still emerging. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day—that's about 58 grams for a 160 pound adult. In the U.S., adults get an average of 15 percent of their calories from protein; for a person who requires a 2,000-calorie-per-day-diet, that's about 75 grams of protein. In healthy people, increasing protein intake to 20 to 25 percent of calories can reduce the risk of heart disease, if the extra protein replaces refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, or sugary drinks. Higher protein diets can also be beneficial for weight loss, in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet, although long-term evidence of their effectiveness is wanting.

For people in good health, consuming 20 to 25 percent of calories from protein won't harm the kidneys. For people with diabetes or early-stage kidney disease, however, the American Diabetes Association recommends limiting protein intake to 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight (roughly 10 percent of energy intake), since this may help improve kidney function; in later stage kidney disease, sticking to the 0.8 grams per kilogram minimum is advisable. Consult a doctor or a registered dietitian for individualized protein recommendations.
  • rexy3033
    rexy3033 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually eat over 100 grams of protein a day!! It keeps you fuller longer and feeling more satisfied. It does take more energy for your body to digest proteins, and you will gain more muscle by eating protein especially if you are lifting...and more muscle will burn more calories and fat in the long run.
  • janatleigh
    janatleigh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I co-teach a 7th grade science class (I'm a special ed teacher), and a few weeks ago, we learned about the different compounds your body needs to make it's cells. Most of the organelles in each of your millions of cells is mostly made of protein. While your body can synthesize proteins by putting together amino acids, eating proteins is a better/quicker way.

I'm a vegetarian, and know it's tough to get enough protein. Good luck!
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    100 or more grams a day - per my doctor and nut recommendations...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Check out this link. It will go into how to set your macros, including giving you the formula to figure out how much protein, fats and carbs you need.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    General rule is about 1g per kg of body weight.

I found it easy to just set my macro goals to 40% carbs / 30% fat / 30% protein.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You should eat minimums of 1g\lb of lean body mass in protein as well as .45g\lb of lean body mass in fat every day as well as making sure you get good doses of MICROnutrients from somewhere.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Eating enough protein has two particular advantages for people who are losing weight. The first is that it will keep you fuller on fewer calories. The second is that it will help you preserve lean body mass, which will keep your metabolism up as you lose weight and give you more aesthetically pleasing results.
  • Shellsmiley
    Shellsmiley Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    bump - saving for later
  • sveltewisher
    sveltewisher Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    48 grams without weight lifting. If you weight lift & put in the exercise, you will need more protein.

Protein is in a lot of things. I read somewhere that it takes 80% of the protein calories to digest it.
    Meat? Cheese? Eggs? Milk? Yogurt? Whey?
    Good luck!

5%
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I aim for 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat daily. I eat approximately 1 gram of protein for each pound I weigh (~120) but I am trying to put on muscle.
  • Enlawley
    Enlawley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian so it's difficult to get in all the protein i need also, but it's needed for muscles and tone. As we age, our bodies need more protein and less carbs. On a 1200 calorie died one should consume 30-105 grams a day.