Looking for other Celiacs!

Options
Hello-

Anyone else out there with Celiacs? I've gained so much weight since being diagnosed!

I've never felt better... but I have never been so heavy!

Replies

• karrieamandakeeps
    Options
    Hi,
    Ive had Celiacs all of my life, it was kinda obvious throughout my childhood but Ive been living on the diet since September 2008.I I was always fat as a teen but lost weight. I lost weight after having two babies.Then in 2008, after going on my GF diet...I gained 30lbs YIKES! I have struggled since then to reclaim my body but I feel so alone about eating and dieting the GF way. Ive recently been diagnosed as lactose intolerant but no big deal. I don't care for dairy that much anyways. I just want to lose this weight that seems to have taken up residence on my once slim figure. Nice to meet you :)
  • lovescontrary
    lovescontrary Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I too have had celiac all my lie, but only realized it a decade or so ago. Since going gluten free so many health issues have benefited, but my weight has gone through the roof. I now need to lose 80 lbs. I would love to connect with others. I have believed that my improved absorption and digestion was a factor in my weight gain, but I had never had anyone support this opinion. Till I listened to a pod cast last month by some celiac researchers. One said that it was typical for celiac patients who are normal weight or over weight at the time they go gluten free to gain a lot of weight. grrrr. I too want to connect to others with this issue. I am sort of resigning myself to counting cals for the rest of my life. It's better than being this fat.
  • karrieamandakeeps
    Options
    Hi, I too have had celiac all my lie, but only realized it a decade or so ago. Since going gluten free so many health issues have benefited, but my weight has gone through the roof. I now need to lose 80 lbs. I would love to connect with others. I have believed that my improved absorption and digestion was a factor in my weight gain, but I had never had anyone support this opinion. Till I listened to a pod cast last month by some celiac researchers. One said that it was typical for celiac patients who are normal weight or over weight at the time they go gluten free to gain a lot of weight. grrrr. I too want to connect to others with this issue. I am sort of resigning myself to counting cals for the rest of my life. It's better than being this fat.
    It really is refreshing to hear from people that feel like I do! I thought I was alone. If one looked up typical symptoms of Celiacs you would find mostly weight-loss as a symptom. I didn't read anything when I went on my diet. I guess I cant complain about the 30lbs though because I was about to die when I was diagnosed. I was having seizures and experiencing neurotoxicity and loss of feeling in my extremities. I couldn't get out of bed. Horrible, horrible stuff!! I was quiet shocked to gain the weight and wasn't expecting it. So, guess I'm just glad to be here and have the chance to start over! Nice to meet you :)
  • Denise2027
    Options
    Hello, GFAndrea!
    I was diagnosed 2 years ago this month (on the 25th it will be 2 years) with Celiac disease. In the course of two years, I gained a whopping 55 POUNDS. My GP and gastroenterologist both told me that my healed gut is grabbing every nutrient / calorie it can and storing them for the next possible crisis. Well, I am sick of it and this has to stop!!!

I joined here on Friday, and I have to say that I've really had my eyes opened. I used to be hungry all the time, and am sure I was snacking away more than 2,000 calories per day. I am diligently following a 1200 calorie per day count and I feel SO good. No bloating, no gas, no other symptoms. Keeping it simple with the fruits, vegetables, dairy and meat.

Good luck to you, it's nice to know there are others like me out there :)
  • GFAndrea
    GFAndrea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Denise 2027-

Thanks for writing! It will be two years for me next month on the 26th! I'm also sick of it. I've gained a total of 35 pounds since going gluten free. My nutritionist said the same thing to me. I don't want to be heavy like this anymore.

Good luck!
  • mimapope
    Options
    Hey,
    I am coeliac from Australia - it will be 11 years for me this year since I found out.
    Similar thing- gained a whole heap of weigh (20kgs/44pounds) over the 2 years after finding out... however there were other contributing factors, like going to Uni, playing less sport etc.

I am now pretty much paleo (minus the occasional chocolate, cheese and booze) and feel so much better! I am down to 149 pounds/68kgs. It makes such a difference eating 'clean', even though I do 'like' gluten free bread and pasta- it just adds to weight concerns as it is full of simple modified starches and proteins.

I am trying to be more consistent with MFP so add me if you like.

Cheers!