Am I eating too few calories to help my weight loss?

Options
Hey everyone, just had a question regarding calorie deficits and if I'm eating too few calories. I found a BMR calculator online and played around with it, and was shocked at what I supposedly needed to consume.

Height: 5'3"
Weight: 190
Activity level: 5 days a week, 30-45 minutes cardio, 20-30 minutes lifting weights

I've been aiming for roughly 1200-1300 calories a day, but after calculating my BMR with my activity level I included, it said to maintain my weight I'd have to consume 2587 calories a day. If I wanted to lose, starting with cutting 20% of the calories out, it'd be 2096!

So my question is, is 1200-1300 too low? Am I slowing my metabolism down rather than helping to burn fat efficiently? If it helps, I am not hungry throughout the day, don't feel worn down or fatigued, and am incoporating more fairly nutrient-dense foods like quinoa and kale.

Thanks so much!

edit: Also, if I wasn't working out at all, my caloric intake would have to be 1669 calories a day to maintain current weight. But I guess the working out 5 days a week can increase that caloric need. Should I just be eating more often on the days I work out? Say, up to 1600?

Replies

• theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's too low. You should be eating back all or most of your exercise calories.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    that's not true! Go by what MFP says. Go with the calorie plan set and have that cheeseburger if u work out if u want it.......
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.
  • way way way too low. i'd follow the guide you get from MFP - remember you burn about 800 calories just sleeping, breathing and existing... ie basic metabolic needs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    way way way too low. i'd follow the guide you get from MFP - remember you burn about 800 calories just sleeping, breathing and existing... ie basic metabolic needs.

You burn your BMR - which is NOT 800 calories unless you are maybe 3 ft tall-ish.

Please read the links I posted. The first two do talk about BMR, not just TDEE.

And to add - Do Not eat below your bmr...
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you all for your input and help on this. I'm definitely committed to losing this weight and figured just eating the lowest and possibly safest amount would maximize the weight loss, but not if I'm burning up tons of calories as well. I figured the two would stack! Again, thank you all so much. :)
  • Diharp
    Diharp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing and thanks to mfp friends They helped me get it right. Yes you are supposed to eat back some of your exercise calories. After 3 months of not eating enough I started to get very tired. After a weekend of resting and eating I feel great now. Just a little info on my experience.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You are too low for the amount you are burning.

You can do this two ways, you can either use the base BMR and eat back your exercise calories on the days you have them or you can use TDEE (which is the 2,587 the site gave you) minus the 20% and just do that everyday. Either way, you are not eating enough if you are sticking to 1,200-1,300 on the days you are working out (which sounds like most). Your body needs the fuel to keep you going.

ETA: At minimum you should be eating about 1,500 a day based on your current weight and age (to lose, not to maintain). As you lose this number will go down some.
  • matcartmill
    matcartmill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As a 24 year old male, weighing 253lbs, my minimum is 1200 calories. Any lower and I risk running too much of a calorie deficit.

Everybody is different, though. If you find that you're not tired, you've got energy and you're not hungry, keep trying with your current calorie goal. However, in my opinion I do think 1200 doesn't leave much room for error. Maybe try 1400 or 1500? My goal is 1900 calories per day, but I try to stay under 1600. On a fairly lean day, I clock in around 1200-1300.
  • Cat_Lifts
    Options
    So when you guys/gals say eating back exercise, does that mean if I burn say 600 at the gym, that it's alright to eat through all that? It sounds to make sense, given I'm already cutting back calories anyway - is working out, besides the tone and fit part, a nice way to indulge slightly in things I may not have otherwise? as long as it stays in the "exercise calories burned" range? i.e. grilled chicken and black bean burrito, whole wheat pasta and chicken, etc?
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Options
    As a 24 year old male, weighing 253lbs, my minimum is 1200 calories. Any lower and I risk running too much of a calorie deficit.

Everybody is different, though. If you find that you're not tired, you've got energy and you're not hungry, keep trying with your current calorie goal. However, in my opinion I do think 1200 doesn't leave much room for error. Maybe try 1400 or 1500? My goal is 1900 calories per day, but I try to stay under 1600. On a fairly lean day, I clock in around 1200-1300.

For a guy weighing 253 lbs, 1,200 is extremely low. I don't know how tall you are, but at 6' you should be eating a minimum of maybe 1,600-1,700 a day and then adding back exercise cals.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Options
    So when you guys/gals say eating back exercise, does that mean if I burn say 600 at the gym, that it's alright to eat through all that? It sounds to make sense, given I'm already cutting back calories anyway - is working out, besides the tone and fit part, a nice way to indulge slightly in things I may not have otherwise? as long as it stays in the "exercise calories burned" range? i.e. grilled chicken and black bean burrito, whole wheat pasta and chicken, etc?

That is exactly right!! :smile: Some may hold back a bit not knowing if the burn is accurate, but you should eat most of it back.
  • Cat_Lifts
    Options

That is exactly right!! :smile: Some may hold back a bit not knowing if the burn is accurate, but you should eat most of it back.

Woo hoo! This is awesome! :) Also, I just re-updated my fitness profile, I forgot to increase the time I work out at the gym from 30 minutes to 65, and it boosted it up to 1320 calories a day. Although, after learning more about what's too low, I'll be bumping that up! :happy:
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes I think you are trying to eat too little. You should be decreasing your calories by approx. 500 less per day based on your TDEE. MFP automatically put me at 1200 cals but that was too low so I increased it to 1500 per day and I am losing weight. If you decrease by 500 per day - every week you should lose 1 pound (500 x 7 days = 3500 calories = 1 pound).
    Good luck
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Options
    Yes I think you are trying to eat too little. You should be decreasing your calories by approx. 500 less per day based on your TDEE. MFP automatically put me at 1200 cals but that was too low so I increased it to 1500 per day and I am losing weight. If you decrease by 500 per day - every week you should lose 1 pound (500 x 7 days = 3500 calories = 1 pound).
    Good luck

Depending on how much you have to lose. If you are looking to lose 10-15 I would keep it at 1/2 lb per week. 20-30 1 lb should be fine and over 30 you might be able to get away with 2 lbs but I would say 50 or more for that type of loss.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Options
    The links Joylia posted are an awesome place to start as well. :smile: