Drinking Water

Options

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    We all know drinking enough water is a big part of successful weight loss

Myth, unless you are filling yourself up with water to stave off hunger. Water doesn't "flush" out fat or any of the other wonderful things people attribute to it. Your body needs fluid to stay hydrated but drinking 100 ounces of water a day is excessive, puts a strain on your kidneys and can flush essential minerals out of your body.

yes!!! Thank you!

And yes, there IS such a thing as too much water. It's called hyponatremia and it can KILL YOU.

Please before signing up to any challenge like this, google "8 glasses water myth".
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Myth, unless you are filling yourself up with water to stave off hunger. Water doesn't "flush" out fat or any of the other wonderful things people attribute to it. Your body needs fluid to stay hydrated but drinking 100 ounces of water a day is excessive, puts a strain on your kidneys and can flush essential minerals out of your body.

yes!!! Thank you!

And yes, there IS such a thing as too much water. It's called hyponatremia and it can KILL YOU.

Please before signing up to any challenge like this, google "8 glasses water myth".

true. but not 100 oz. that is nothing. for most bodybuilders it is necessary to drink 1 gallon of water a day a a minimum.
  • judycassini
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but I make myself drink 8 oz as soon as I get out of bed while I am waiting on my coffee. Then before every meal I drink a full 8 oz of water. Sinse I eat 3 small meals and 2 snacks, I have 6 glasses out of the way and the other 2 are usually just sipped throughout the day.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I was having an issue with it at first also but the more you continue to drink water the easier it gets. Now my body craves it. The major change I made was drinking Ice Cold water. I can't drink anything room temperature or just a little cold. It has to be really cold. Also since I have been a kid I have always drank plenty of water during meals. That habit stuck to this day and now that I eat every 2-3 hours I drink more water on a daily basis.

Best of Luck!
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    my dentist has put a blanket on my drinking lemon water because of the acid....now I BARELY drink it

Mine said the same, although she said with a straw it's okay. This may sound weird, but I love the taste of celery water - just put a pitcher of water in the fridge with a few stalks of celery.

that sounds so nice... i'm gona try it. x
  • fatpoppy
    fatpoppy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What a good idea - celery water.
  • Aitm20
    Aitm20 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Quit being a baby, man up, and drink your water. I can't stand grown adults who complain that they hate water. PFTTTTTT

Drinking water is just hard for some people...I can totally relate. Sometimes I force myself to drink up too. We all have strengths and weaknesses and I think the forum should be used to support one another in a positive manner.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

It does help if you have been bad with sodium.
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as too much water?
    I'm trying to give up caffeine so cutting out tea and cola, and drinking water instead and I'm drinking sooo much water. It's nice but I'm getting awful headaches which I assume is from going cold turkey on the caffeine, but could it be from too much water too?

I do find the more I drink water instead of cola the more I want water, though I get the occasional craving for the fizz I just try to avoid it at all costs and go for water instead.

Yes there is, BUT, it is most often seen when people drink WAY too much, and, don't urinate often enough also. Mainly, the lady trying to win the Wii did not take any bathroom breaks at all and died. She had been drinking water all day, but not urinating. This caused basically a toxic reaction and the kidney's to overwork. It also causes circulatory problems, as it increases the volume of blood...and can cause swelling of the cells, including in the brain, which can cause death also.
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Try some cucumber slices in your water. The natural cooling effect in light flavor in cucumbers adds a really nice and refreshing boost to your water without any extra man-made chemicals. You can do this with really any fruit or veggie, depending on the flavors you like. Mix in what you like into a pitcher at night, let it sit overnight, and you have a refreshing & flavored drink for the whole day.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • dawlf
    dawlf Posts: 19
    Options
    Before I drank only water (besides a small black coffee in the morning) I'd make sure to drink at least one glass a day for a few days, then after that two glasses a day, then three, etc. etc. It slowly weened me away from the other things I was drinking.

Now I drink 64-80ish oz a day.
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Found some info, thought I'd put it up.

Here is a good calculation for how much water YOU need, based on your weight. According to this, based on my weight, I would need 161 ounces of water. My mother, however, based on her weight would only need 82 ounces of water per day. When I get to my goal weight, I'll need about 65 ounces. This is to simply not be dehydrated. You need more after hard exercise, but you still want to be careful of overdoing it. A 1-litre bottle after exercising in addition to your regular intake should do it.

HOW MUCH WATER DO YOU NEED TO DRINK? WHEN TO DRINK?

To better determine how much water you need each day, divide your body weight in half. The answer is the approximate number of water ounces you should drink daily. You should drink half of your body weight in ounces. If you weight 200 pounds, you should drink 100 ounces water (3.13 quarts, 2.98 liters or about 10-12 cups of water a day). If you weigh closer to 100 pounds you will need only about 50 ounces of water or about four 12-ounce glasses daily.

Individuals who are physically active or live in hot climates may needs to drink more.

http://www.watercure.com/faq.html
  • ladyshills
    Options
    I love water & don't drink any soda's or other beverages (except coffee or occassionally tea). I put 6 rubber bands on my wrist each morning & take one off each time I finish a bottle of water. It helps me to remember to drink during the day which is my biggest problem.:drinker: :
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    They can add lemon, cumcumber, watermelon its really good thats all I drink is water .
  • carolineire
    carolineire Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I add freshly squeezed lime juice to some of my water, it's really refreshing (more so than lemon for me).

I usually just fill up a one litre bottle and sip on it, and refill when necessary, if I had to force myself to drink some (which I have done in the past) I just feel sick as it's too much at once.

Water is pretty much the only thing I drink now, apart from a glass of juice, but I think coffee and tea still count so don't forget those!
  • carolineire
    carolineire Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    They can add lemon, cumcumber, watermelon its really good thats all I drink is water .

Watermelon... Never thought of it but now have to try that, thanks!
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Your statement is a myth. 100 ounces is not excessive. 100 ounces will not put a strain on your kidneys. It may flush out some minerals, but if your diet is on point then you have nothing to worry about.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Quit being a baby, man up, and drink your water. I can't stand grown adults who complain that they hate water. PFTTTTTT

YES!!!
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the app suggestion. This app is what I needed! Thanks so much!
  • azanne07
    Options
    Found some info, thought I'd put it up.

Here is a good calculation for how much water YOU need, based on your weight. According to this, based on my weight, I would need 161 ounces of water. My mother, however, based on her weight would only need 82 ounces of water per day. When I get to my goal weight, I'll need about 65 ounces. This is to simply not be dehydrated. You need more after hard exercise, but you still want to be careful of overdoing it. A 1-litre bottle after exercising in addition to your regular intake should do it.

HOW MUCH WATER DO YOU NEED TO DRINK? WHEN TO DRINK?

To better determine how much water you need each day, divide your body weight in half. The answer is the approximate number of water ounces you should drink daily. You should drink half of your body weight in ounces. If you weight 200 pounds, you should drink 100 ounces water (3.13 quarts, 2.98 liters or about 10-12 cups of water a day). If you weigh closer to 100 pounds you will need only about 50 ounces of water or about four 12-ounce glasses daily.

Individuals who are physically active or live in hot climates may needs to drink more.

http://www.watercure.com/faq.html

Oh great I will never make my water goal. lol 145 ounces would be way to much a day. Im lucky to get 16. I am trying to replace all my soda with water.