Coffee????

Options

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee like I like my women: weak and full of liquor

This made me laugh more than it should have!
  • IRollC30
    IRollC30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    What a coincidence! Today is my first day of "going black." I have been slowing transitioning away from a huge cup of coffee with a ton of International Delight flavored creamer over to coffee w/ no cream but add 3 packages of sweet-n-low. I was reading recently how the artificial sweeteners still cause you to gain weight, so today is the first day of totally black. I'm sure I'll acquire the taste for it, much like I did for beer when I was younger.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If it's REALLY good coffee I can do it, but that's expensive so I just measure out what I'm putting into it.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like my coffee with about 50 calories of Whole Foods Organic Instant hot chocolate - yummy and healthier than a lot of the other coffee mixers.
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't mind black coffee... but I usually use 3-4 drops of SweetLeaf Vanilla Creme Stevia concentrate. It's really tasty and "natural"...and as far as I know, Stevia is still on the list of sweeteners that are not "deadly" or concocted by Satan :)
  • witchyme
    witchyme Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    its one a day, and i am not gonna skip the cream and sugar either....,,lol i dont care, i cut bad food so i can fully enjoy this large tripple cream, with one sugar, and one hazelnut shot, every morning, at tim hortons, ..... and i am loving it.....lol ill skip on chips , cookies, andall that crap easely,,but do not F~~K with my coffee......
  • FitnessPal4L1f3
    FitnessPal4L1f3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I gotta quote my late Great-Grandmother who at 75 told me this when I was 8 - "I like my coffee how I like my men, dark and mysterious - and when you give something to them - they always sweeten up!"
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I did it, for same reasons, and same general experience. Now I enjoy coffee straight up. If you really like coffee, you'll probably adapt. As others have noted, if you can reduce/use fat free/sugar free, you can still enjoy it however you like it!
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I have tried and just can't do it. I have cut down and use ff creamer/Splenda but that is as far as I can go;)

:smile:
    This!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Strong and black - that is how I take my coffee.

2 tsp instant decaff coffee per 'mug' (approx 250ml).
  • BonyToni
    Options
    I am a gainer. Please don't laugh. I lived on extremely strong unsweetened black coffee until I started with MFP. I love the taste of it. Now, I am only having one cup a day in order to consume more calories each day. I miss it and wish I could enjoy it with cream and sugar!!!

Hope you learn to like it

:drinker:
  • sparklydeer
    sparklydeer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I ditched the cream and sugar and now drink my coffee black, but...I do make flavored coffee now...like French Vanilla, Southern Pecan Cream...just no cream and sugar...surprisingly none of the flavored coffees dranken black don't have a huge number of calories. Good luck!

Oooo they sound good where do you get them from? Can you get them in the UK?

You can get flavoured coffe in the UK :) Douwe Egberts do caramel, hazlenut and vanilla ones that are really good and available in asda/morrisons/tesco etc. Whittards also do them but they aren't as nice..
  • Gotspunk1
    Gotspunk1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use liquid stevia drops to sweeten my coffee most of the time. No calories and an all natural sweetener.
  • vharding7
    vharding7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tried but I just can't go without my coffee!! I really enjoy having one, sometimes two in the morning. I usually just put a little bit of skim milk and half tsp of sugar. Works for me! :smile:
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    its one a day, and i am not gonna skip the cream and sugar either....,,lol i dont care, i cut bad food so i can fully enjoy this large tripple cream, with one sugar, and one hazelnut shot, every morning, at tim hortons, ..... and i am loving it.....lol ill skip on chips , cookies, andall that crap easely,,but do not F~~K with my coffee......

Same here. I tried to start switching to black, I bought sugar free syrup and tried that with skim milk, and I'll still do that in the evening if I want some decaf but don't want the calories from the creamer.But in the morning, I really look forwards to and enjoy my coffee with some flavored creamer. The way I look at it is, I don't smoke, I hardley ever drink alcohol, I exercise five times a week, and I closely monitor my sugary sweets intake...so if this is my vice, so be it.
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've been considering ditching my cream (I use the 5% light). The past few weeks I've been putting less in my coffee and adjusting to the flavour so far. I will still use stevia though. Not sure I can drink coffee black. But then, I never thought I'd be doing a lot of things that I've done over the past few months! :happy:
  • monkeybuddha
    monkeybuddha Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I switched to black coffee as I'm dairy intolerant and it just didn't quite work for me with an alternative milk - had to be all or nothing! Now I absolutely love it and don't miss white coffee at all... just wish I could say the same about black tea :(
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I use splenda and non dairy creamer. It adds about 30 calories and 3 grams of fat (no trans fat). These are numbers I can easily work into my daily calorie goal. Sometimes I use real sugar, which only adds another 32 calories, I can also fit this in my goal. There is no need to give up something I don't have to. =)
  • kenp1004
    kenp1004 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would look at it like this... Who liked the taste of beer when they first started to drink??? It was an acquired taste and now it actually tastes good (if you don’t drink beer then ask a beer drinker). Just give it some time and you will most likely enjoy it after some time. Just my 2 cents...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love black coffee after having taken up a job working for a major coffee company.

Try adding pure cocoa to it, or try adding extra/virgin coconut oil. The health benefit is great from the oil.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036156_Coconut_oil_superfood_healing.html

I like my coffee black, mostly.

That link is full of poor info.

article quote:
    "The liver and gall bladder do not need to digest and emulsify MCFA, resulting in instant energy, increased metabolic rate and subsequently more heat production as well as increased circulation."

MCFAs are absorbed directly into the blood without lipid digestion, however they are then stored in the liver, adipose and muscle cells. There is no "instant energy" nor an increase metabolism - MCFA are just available to the mitochondria more directly without the carnitine transport system and demonstrate an increase in usability over long chain fatty acids. While MCFA do have a better utilization level versus LCFA they are not some super food that "revs up the metabolism". They are an energy (calorie) source.

article quote:
    "Coconut oil has many health benefits which are attributed to the presence of lauric acid. When it is present in the body, lauric acid is converted into monolaurin, a compound that is highly toxic to viruses, bacteria, funguses and other microorganisms because of its ability to disrupt their lipid membranes and virtually destroy them.

Monolaurin is effective for treating candida albicans, fungal infections and athlete's foot. It also targets bacterial infections and viruses like measles, influenza, hepatitis C and even HIV. In fact, researchers from the Philippines are studying the effectiveness of lauric acid against HIV/AIDS due to its strong anti-viral properties. Moreover, lauric acid is non-toxic, making it a better alternative to modern drugs that are typically prescribed for viruses as well as fungal and bacterial infections."

Total bull****. To my knowledge, monolaurin has no clinically approved application in HIV/AIDS or viral infections. The makers of one product that has attempted to make such claims have recieves a serious warning letter from the FDA:

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2011/ucm283508.htm

It is irresponsible to claim this as an effective treatment to a very serious disease and an "alternative to modern drugs".