First Week In & the Scale Didn't Move! :(

Options
I'm so sad--- I have pushed myself so hard. Never in my life have I counted calories for 8 days in a row, and I went to the gym and worked out for 30-40 min every single day. How did the scale not move?! :(:( Am I ever going to lose this weight? I gave it my all this week and I have nothing to show for it. I might be building muscle, but c'mon, no loss this week??? :(

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm so sad--- I have pushed myself so hard. Never in my life have I counted calories for 8 days in a row, and I went to the gym and worked out for 30-40 min every single day. How did the scale not move?! :(:( Am I ever going to lose this weight? I gave it my all this week and I have nothing to show for it. I might be building muscle, but c'mon, no loss this week??? :(

If you are new to going to the gym every day, then you are likely retaining water from exercise, masking your fat loss. Give it time.
  • coolstud65
    Options
    The main question is how do you feel? Also is your sodium intake to high, what is the ration of Protein, Carbs & Fat. If all that is good don't worry the weight will drop. remember muscle will weigh more that fat. So if you are gaining muscle the scale will not change much. Keep eating clean & keep working out. It will happen. I had the same thing happen , then all of a sudden I droped 30 lbs in a month. so keep it up.
    John
  • lcwhite85
    Options
    Hi,

I feel your pain, mine is exactly the same but i think mine is too do with not eating enough. Eating 1200 calories i have been told to eat and then exercising for an hour 4 times a week and burning between 300-500 calories depending on which work out i do. I am going to give it a week of highering my calorie intake (although not sure how i will get on as without eating crisps, chocolate and biscuits i am not sure how to up my intake and keep my food healthy). Maybe give that a try if your not already doing so. Otherwise hold in there i am sure a good weight loss is just around the corner for you :-)
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    I don't both weighing myself - the change on the scales doesn't reflect the change around my waist, and the latter is the bit I'm interested in!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, time to give it up, perhaps?
  • queeenb2013
    queeenb2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been on several diets before I left it two weeks before I weighed myself I had give everything to av lost at least a few pounds the scale never moved for me until after prob 4 week of my dieting don't give up hun x
  • LeeAnnSharkey
    Options
    I would think it is because you are building muscle. Did your measurements change? This would be a better way to see if the weight is changing into muscle. Hang in there the scales will move one day.
  • Jennifer217B
    Options
    It's awesome that you did so well! Because it's your first week your body might be wondering what's happening. Also, consider your sodium intake as well as any sugars, breads, pasta, etc. Both promote inflammation. Your body will catch up to what is changing so keep up your great work!
  • hutch58
    Options
    throw your scale out..dont look at it for at least two months..keep doing what you are doing and you will be fine.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week! Give it time! I know it's frustrating when you don't lose at first, but you can't give up on it yet. Your body is adjusting, I didn't lose my first or second week either. It takes time so unfortunately you do have to have patience! Good Luck!
  • daram05
    daram05 Posts: 80
    Options
    When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
    When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,
    When the funds are low and the debts are high,
    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
    When care is pressing you down a bit,
    Rest, if you must, but don’t you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
    As every one of us sometimes learns,
    And many a failure turns about,
    When he might have won had he stuck it out;
    Don’t give up though the pace seems slow–
    You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than,
    It seems to a faint and faltering man,
    Often the struggler has given up,
    When he might have captured the victor’s cup,
    And he learned too late when the night slipped down,
    How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out–
    The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
    And you never can tell how close you are,
    It may be near when it seems so far,
    So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit–
    It’s when things seem worst that you must not quit.

- Unknown Author
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    We didn't put the weight on overnight. It's not going to come off overnight. I am just getting back in the game since September - a lot of family circumstances took me away from my goals - but I will not even begin to step on a scale until the end of January. My muscles need time to relax and get back in the groove. My body needs time to catch up to what I am doing. Just don't bother with a scale, and try to take measurements too. But it also depends on how you feel, how your clothes are fitting. Hang in there. It will come off, just be patient.
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is a journey, keep doing the right things and the weight will come off. Your body weigh fluctuates a large amount depending on when you weight in, what you ate, how much water you are retaining, not to mention added muscle mass you may be getting from working out. Sometimes a scale with a bodyfat % will help with some of this, but i find weighing myself at the same time in the morning before eating or drinking anything tends to keep some of these fluctuations down as well.
  • lillith1600
    Options
    You can add healthy calories with Brown rice or I like string cheese.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    I did the same thing my first week and unfortunately, I decided to quit because of it which obviously was a huge mistake. Now here I am a month later starting all over again!! This stuff takes time and we just have to be patient, I guess, LOL. Good luck to you :)
  • evilmj31
    evilmj31 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It will take time, try not to be a slave to the scale. Check your food portions and what you are eating, check water intake...and just keep going. I have had weeks where nothing happened and then suddenly the next week I was losing.
  • thenicksters
    thenicksters Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? You should be netting at least 1200 calories, and drinking at least 8 glasses of water.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    A week? How long did it take your body to accumulate the weight?
  • SheenaRamlochan
    SheenaRamlochan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!! As a matter of fact my jeans felt tighter on me after the first week and I am so upset about that. I have been sticking to my calorie goal and doing 45-60 mins on the elliptical EVERYDAY. It's frustrating :(
  • slwalker1220
    Options
    The reason I don't do Weight Watchers is that they are so worried about the numbers. I figured out a long time ago that I wanted to wear a certain size, and I didn't care how much I weighed as long as I comfortably fit into that size. It's so hard not to want to see the numbers go down!!! A few years ago I did a spin class and pilates class 5 times a week. In 3 months I lost only 5 pounds but lost a whole size. For me, if I look at it like I have to lose 65 pounds rather than shooting for a size 12, I wouldn't be able to do it!