anyone else trying to grow their hair out?

Options
share your tips for healthy long hair :)

Replies

• emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    Options
    Regular trims! Every 6 weeks, if you can. I've had long hair since I was super young, so I don't know anything other than that.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am and get it trimmed every 5 to 7 weeks again. Due to finances though I had to stop for a couple years and my first visit back had to have at least an inch taken off :(
  • emilykg12
    emilykg12 Posts: 119
    Options
    Oh! Also, don't brush your hair while it's wet. And don't over-brush your hair. I don't brush my hair with a hair brush period, because it's pretty fine and I can just de-tangle with my fingers. But that causes a lot of split ends.
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I am and get it trimmed every 5 to 7 weeks again. Due to finances though I had to stop for a couple years and my first visit back had to have at least an inch taken off :(

Check youtube for tips on trimming your own hair between salon visits. That's what I do, it's really easy.

I don't know if it actually makes a difference or if I'm just imagining it, but ever since I started using argan oil I find my hair has been growing out a lot quicker.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes!

It is just to my shoulder now after mistakenly having it to my ears :'(
    I second trimming at home, it helps mine a lot and I cannot afford to go to the salon, and not working in one anymore it is just easier to do it at home.

Definitely less heat and less chemicals.

Lots of hair treatments.

Eat oily fish.
  • duckdani
    duckdani Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i find the loreal extraordinary oil works wonders. Doing a deep condition whenever you can is great too - i bought a big tub about eight months ago for about seven euro and i still have it. And let dry naturally whenever you can :)
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    get a good leave in conditioner/treatment...air dry
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Never ;)
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Iwill be starting to grow out my hair here pretty soon. I chopped it and donated it to locks of love in July. I've really enjoyed the short but it is a pain to maintain. I have to get it cut every 3-4 weeks my hair grows so darn fast!

I will second getting it trimmed every 6 weeks. Split ends are your enemy. Find a good shampoo that is low/no sulfates. Get a good conditioner so that you'll have less breakage. Don't rip through your hair while brushing; make sure to use a detangler if you need it.

Good luck!
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. I chopped that off and don't regret it one bit!

However being a stylist this is what I share with my clients. Back off the chemical & mechanical distress. Try to do the least amount of it as possible. Regular trims ( 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch ) every 6-8 weeks ( hair grows roughly 1/2 inch every 4 weeks ). Use a good suflate free shampoo, and follow up with a conditioner that is appropriate for your hair type ( don't use protein if you do not have breakage... it will harden the hair and cause it ). Hot oil treatments are for your scalp. They will not benefit your hair. Don't brush wet hair, always use a wide tooth comb. Don't blow dry sopping wet hair. Your hair should be atleast 40% air dried before you begin. Always use some type of thermal protectant on your hair if you are going to heat style. Diet is important. Take biotin and fish oil.
  • Electricls
    Electricls Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You could take biotin supplements. I'm using Nature's Bounty Super POtency 5000mcg, but you have to be careful. Too much Biotin makes some people break out. I would start with a less potent pill until you figure out how it effects you.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Saturate it with coconut oil, wear a showecap or wrap with saran wrap and leave in for an hour.

Short air does not look good on me. :frown:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Me! My hair is growing out from a pixie cut and is finally getting 'long'... well, long for me anyway, I've had short hair for most of my life. For me, I don't color my hair at all, shampoo it only every other day and just condition between, skip the blow dryer when I can (it's wavy when it air-dries so I just use a little sea salt spray and let it go crazy), and deep condition with coconut oil once a week. I get about 1/4 inch trimmed off every couple of a months and get it 'reshaped' so it grows out nicely. I also take biotin with my daily vitamins. I'm hoping to get a few more inches by summer. :)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I'm growing mine out after keeping a very, very short pixie for a year. I just started and in the past two months, it has grown more than an inch. I wash it with regular shampoo, very little of it. Then I condition it with a high-end conditioner (usually kerastase that I leave in). I don't use product that much, only a little wax on date nights. I don't use the blow dryer until my hair is almost completely dry. I use a small touch of moroccan oil or Kerastase serum when it needs extra softness.

It's a mess, but it's very healthy and growing.

Also, eat a well-balanced diet with plenty of good fats.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    good products, dont over brush, and dont over use heat styling tools like curling irons, flat irons, and hairdryers, and taking a biotin supplement.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You could take biotin supplements. I'm using Nature's Bounty Super POtency 5000mcg, but you have to be careful. Too much Biotin makes some people break out.

this is interesting, my dermatologist actually suggested that I take biotin and a multivitamin to aid with my acne problem. Since I started doing that my skin has never been more clear and smooth.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Tight braids, ponytails and prenatal vitamins. I agree with the above user, not to brush your hair as much, especially as you get older.

BTW my hair is twice the length in the picture I took 3 years ago.
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've been trying for years
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't know about getting a trim every month and a half. Average hair growth is 1/2 inch per month. Unless your stylist is super respectful of your wishes (and even if she is, it would be kind of hard to give you a 1/4 inch trim. And besides that what would be the point? It's a 1/4 of an inch.)

You can use oil on the ends of your hair to keep them looking as nice as possible while you're growing out the length. I use coconut oil sometimes.
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options
    My tip...

If you have curly hair like I do, DON'T fall asleep with it pulled back.. You'll wake up with a freakin dreadloc to comb out.