Can 297 calories for 24 mins on the exercise bike be right?

13»

Replies

• It is mathematically possible to burn that number of cals in that time, but as per previous posters, is unlikely. If you are using stuff in the gym, does it have panels where you can put your hands to check heart rate? e.g. in my gym part of the handlebars on the exercise bike are metal panels that you hold and it tells you how hard your heart is working.

You can then put it in here http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

to calculate how many calories you have burned

My HRM is on the blink at the moment, new one on order, so I have been doing it that way.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Depends on your weight and intensity. A lot of factors go into calorie burn. I, at 140 pounds, can burn about 600 an hour on the elliptical if I push myself very hard. But the elliptcial is a pretty intense exercise.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    For me, 14mins is 125 calories (5km at a 85rpm on a medium resistance).

So, 297 for 24minutes seems a little optimistic.

Because everyone works just as hard as you and has the same results/experience as you?

Provided for comparison... trolololol

• For example the guide shows 789 calories burnt for 90 minutes of doubles tennis, just not possible.

That depends on how rubbish your partner is ;-)
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    I usually burn at this rate -10 cals a minute, at Zumba (based on my FT4 HRM) and I'm on my last 10 pounds, so it is possible. But until you get a HRM monitor (and what I used to do is) only count a half or two thirds of estimates you're given from machines and MFP, especially if you're eating back exercise cals. On my (cheap-*kitten*) stationary exercise bike at home I only burn 5 cals a minute on the biggest resistance setting. I work up a sweat too but I'm always dissappointed with how many cals I burn compared to Zumba, especially since it feels like such a chore. :P
  • Has anyone got a Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch - they have then for 9.99 on Amazon UK - I am wondering whether there is any chance at all it is actually accurate for that price! The average review is 4 stars... but I'd love to hear if anyone has one??? If its likely to work I'll order one, as its a tenth of the price the ones my gym sells!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Keep in mind... whether you use MFP's numbers, the one on the gym machines, or an HRM... they are all still just calculations/estimates. There is no right answer. So if you're just looking for the cheapest HRM you can find, how much better do you think that estimate is going to be than any other?

People talk about HRMs like they are the holy grail. They aren't. Are they a cool gadget? Sure. But at the end of the day you have to put in the time and do the work and figure out, based on how you choose to log, where your sweet spot is, such that you still perform well in your workouts, feel good day to day, and are seeing progress in your health/fitness/weight goals.

IMO, pick one number, be consistent with it, log thoroughly for a month or so, then evaluate your results. If you are logging a deficit but gaining, chances are your estimates are wrong (eating more than you think and/or burning less than you think). If you are logging a surplus but losing, chances are your estimates are wrong (eating less than you think and/or burning more than you think).

• capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    The larger you are, the more calories you'll burn in general (mor eof you to move around). I ride a lot, too, and it's probalby a pretty close estimate.
  • Has anyone got a Pulse Sonic K920D Heart Rate Monitor Watch - they have then for 9.99 on Amazon UK - I am wondering whether there is any chance at all it is actually accurate for that price! The average review is 4 stars... but I'd love to hear if anyone has one??? If its likely to work I'll order one, as its a tenth of the price the ones my gym sells!

I bought this one - it was good for a while but the battery ran out in a couple of months (I was only using it for an hour 3 times a week at most). Thats when I replaced it with the one from Aldi which had better reviews.

Our Aldi does the same with offers as yours but on their website you can see whats coming up - they cycle the sames offers here so you can usually get something within a month or 2. Thats why I bought the one from Amazon because I didnt want to wait for Aldi to get in the Crane one I had been recommended - now I wish I'd just waited.
  • Yes. High intinsity, littleresistance. yep
  • Aniseedvan
    Aniseedvan Posts: 28 Member
    Keep in mind... whether you use MFP's numbers, the one on the gym machines, or an HRM... they are all still just calculations/estimates. There is no right answer. So if you're just looking for the cheapest HRM you can find, how much better do you think that estimate is going to be than any other?

People talk about HRMs like they are the holy grail. They aren't. Are they a cool gadget? Sure. But at the end of the day you have to put in the time and do the work and figure out, based on how you choose to log, where your sweet spot is, such that you still perform well in your workouts, feel good day to day, and are seeing progress in your health/fitness/weight goals.

IMO, pick one number, be consistent with it, log thoroughly for a month or so, then evaluate your results. If you are logging a deficit but gaining, chances are your estimates are wrong (eating more than you think and/or burning less than you think). If you are logging a surplus but losing, chances are your estimates are wrong (eating less than you think and/or burning more than you think).

This, don't beat yourself up about not affording a HRM just yet. Make sure you take body measurements as well as your weight, and monitor for a month.