Running?

Options
This morning I thought I would try to run/jog a bit on my treadmill. After using an elliptical every morning 30 minutes for the past 4 months I thought I could handle it. Yeah right lol. I would run for 1 minute every 5 minutes, only getting up to 4 speed so nothing really trememdous. and I was soooooooooooo winded at the end of those minutes.

I would love to be able to run this spring outside and I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should do to build up? I plan on adding longer times at a run/jog on my treadmill as I get used to it.

Replies

• meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing it - over time you'll improve. There are a lot of great programs out there if you'd like a schedule to follow- Jeff Galloway has a good run/walk program for several distances that you could look into, and a lot of people here suggest the Couch to 5K schedules.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K will do it. It's all about the slow progression to longer running times. I finished it recently and can go about 3.5-4 miles without walking. I started out the same, huffing and puffing like mad after about 1 minute. It's a great program.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5 k. I bet your really good at the elliptical now though.:drinker:
    I gave up the elliptical, stair climber or anything like that.

Now its just the road or a treadmill. I want to be better at running.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It kind of undermines the notion that the eliptical builds cardiovascular fitness.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K.

I was using the arc trainer and I know that my heart rate would be up there because I was using my hr monitor. Then I decided to start running on the treadmill. I thought I would die the first time I ran 60 second straight. With the C25K program, I was able to start running and I am still at it.
  • christy3565
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will look into the Couch 2 5 k

Scott not sure I agree with you. I think maybe my body is used to doing the elliptical and this is a way to work the muscles differently? yes? I do get a good workout on the elliptical just thought I would try something different
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into Couch to 5K......it will help prepare you to run/jog. Don't give up.
  • jrocnrun
    Options
    everyone is right! Couck to 5k will get u where u want to go! Best thing I ever did!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'll add another voice to Couch to 5K.

The elliptical is a nice machine and a decent workout - but it's not running and the 2 shouldn't be compared.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    The hardest part or funning is that first 5 mintues, or for some, the first mile. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Skip the elliptical the only thing that makes you better at is the elliptical. Since the motion on that machine is not one you do in real life, it is hard to translate any gain there to any other aspect of life (other than some increase in endurance)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are going to run, GET GOOD RUNNING SHOES.

Then I suggest C25K or s 5K running/training plan.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I concur, C25K
  • Brandywithrow
    Options
    Keep doing what your doing and your breathing ( being winded ) will change quickly!

Last year ( Jan ) I wiehged 255 and I could run for 20 seconds but I did exactly what your doing and I just kept going, in May I ran my first 5 k race which gave me motivation to keep up running and I did it in 31 minutes which for a beginer I think was a great time :) I have since lost 70 lbs and I think running/jogging is where I lost alot of my weight :) I am now starting to train for a half marathon sometime this year! I NEVER thought I would be a runner but the thing about running is, it doesnt matter about anyone else everyone is different and everyone has a runner in them :) Keeep it up ands you will get there too!!!
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    -Make sure you have good shoes.
    -No one likes running at first. You do, over time when you stop getting so winded and start getting the runner's high
    -Do intervals and push yourself. Run walk run walk run walk (Self did an article a few years ago that got me started-Day 1 was run one minute, walk three for 18 minutes, beginning with a a 5 minute brisk walk warm up and warm down)
    -Sprinting will help you tremendously.
    -Remember to stretch.
    Repeat daily.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    That's a brilliant start, well done for making those first vital steps!

As others have said, try C25K, which you can get as a written plan, apps or podcasts, here's a link to it in various formats:
    http://www.c25k.com/

If you like a story to keep you motivated, I thoroughly recommend the Zombie 5K training app:
    https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

Here are my beginner's running tips. you may find point 1 is particularly relevant:
    "When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER! "

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck, add me if you're looking for virtual running buddies! :flowerforyou:
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I did Couch to 5k about 4 years ago with the Ullrey podcasts (http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm). Now I've done a dozen 5ks, some other random distances, six half marathons and a full marathon! Be careful... It's addicting :wink:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    The hardest part or running is that first 5 mintues, or for some, the first mile. :)

Or the first 1/2 hour for some of us :(
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing. To get better at running you have to just run. When I started a few years ago I could do as much as you could now and within a month I ran a 5K. Now I do half & full marathons. Just takes time and effort! Eventually you'll get to the point where its even fun. 8) Also, read this thread because there is important anti-injury advice in here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/842297-ways-to-avoid-shin-splints
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    youre doing it right. keep doing what youre doing and add a little time each circuit.

kudos babe :drinker: