Are you alone...

Options
2»

Replies

• kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. My hubby agrees it would be good to lose weight (both of us), but he still eats a big bowl of ice cream or has snacky stuff in the evenings. It's so hard because I like that stuff too, but I can't have it... I can't eat just a couple spoonfulls of Tillamook Mudslide ice cream! :laugh: He says he's proud of me for sticking to it since it's important to me and that I've been getting up to workout almost every day I plan to, but he's on a little bit different of a plan it seems...

I understand what you're saying about it being a little discouraging though.

Pretty much in the same boat as her. My boyfriend loves that I'm so motivated and is trying to be really supportive...but he just isn't ready to try yet I think. Wasn't too much help when he sat the plate of french fries down in front of me last night. I literally had to make him take them away...my self control isn't just there yet....I would have eaten the whole plate!
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm alone in this. My husband doesn't need to lose weight, he could actually stand to gain a few pounds. He also has much higher calorie requirments than I do because he's a 6'1" tall man with a decent amount of lean muscle mass and I'm a petite woman with a high% of body fat vs. lean muscle.

He also can't stand when I cook healthy food most of the time...so I usually have to make seperate meals for the two of us.
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Friend are truly a god-send in this for that exact reason. I don't have his support with this stuff at home. He will tell me what exactly I need to do and everything I'm doing wrong, as he's shoving 3 PB &J sandwhiches in his mouth the one time of day he eats, but he does agree he and my son should eat better, and they do when I cook and buy healthier, but I'm traveling this road alone as far as eating better, working out etc. But I do have my BFF right beside me doing it too and several of my friends are in the same boat. All I can do is change me, and not enable the boys at home. If they want unhealthier options, I am not planning it out on the meal plan for the week nor cooking two meals, they are on their own with it. You can't help someone not willing to help themselves! It's not easy, but the road is SO worth it when you feel SO much better about yourself!
  • stingray1982
    Options
    I am totally alone in doing this. But not really, I have all the people here at MFP to motivate me. I haven't figured out yet how to do the friend request yet. But 1 person sent me a request so I know I can contact at least 1 person. Other than that I always have message boards to read and reply on!! I am doing this for me and that is what motivates me! My sister had gastric bypass surgery and lost weight. But that wasn't for me. I want to do this naturally. This is a lifestyle change and I know I want this!!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Yes... and no. I do all the cooking and grocery shopping in the house so my housemates (brothers) eat what is there but if they want other things they just go buy them.

My mom is losing weight as well as one of my best friends is as well so its not like I am completely alone. I don't have a significant other at the moment so... yes...and no.
  • ToshaFeb268
    Options
    Yes and No. My husband doesn't need to lose any weight. Honestly, he could probably stand to gain a few. On top of it, he's a recovering alcoholic so he craves sugar like CRAZY!! So after dinner every night he goes and dives in to his pantry o' crap and I try to stick to tea or maybe a piece of chocolate. It can be really tough! BUT he is super proud of me for taking this step in my life and helps me plan nutritious meals that we can both enjoy. We're still trying to figure out how I can eat sandwiches without bread (I LOVE sandwiches but have recently noticed a gluten intollerance); he spent over an hour this weekend making me a bunch of different finger sandwiches with slices of cucumbers as the top and bottom. It was adorable!

Sounds like you and your hubby are a match made in heaven! It's sorta like that with me and my hubby. We both have been able to blend what we enjoy as far as eating and it's working so far. I wish you well and love your wedding photo. :happy:
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My husband, I won't say supports me totaly but he doesn't appear to sabbatoge me either. But I know in the past when he will suggest something to me or ask me why I'm eating something especially after I do a workout...I get pissy at him...which I guess is why he just has quit saying anything to me anymore...
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling quite alone for some time now and that my fella has been dangling temptation in front of me, and yep sabotaging my goals BUT i suddenly got my stuff together and thought if im going to do this i am going to have to do it without help. been out running today first time in absolutely ages........ just had a text from my fella "wow if you are going to be getting all slim again I will have to join you..... etc" maybe i just needed to show a bit of backbone and he was ready to join me??????

Alone together c'mon let's do this for ourselves!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Yes, and no. My hubs is 6 feet and weighing in at about 180 or so. He thinks he's overweight, so whenever I start to watch what I eat he turns it into a constest. Which I hate, because, while he could stand to tone up, he doesn't have any real weight to lose. But he still eats like crap, which annoys me. Because I can't eat like crap and be slim.... =-)
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options
    Yes and no - my OH wants to lose 15lbs but he doesn't actually want to do too much about it. However he eats what I decide so is doing my diet with me :laugh: He knows he needs to start exercising but a) he is a little nervous about it and b) he does work long hours and struggles to find the time.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My BF is a smallish guy, maybe 5'7 and around 140 lbs. He likes to exercise regularly and do active stuff for fun. He does worry about his physique sometimes, saying he has love-handles or man-boobs, which he doesn't :P I think he just wants his 6-pack back from when he was in his 20's. We both like to eat pretty healthy, but sometimes one of us wants junk. We don't both have to get junk and no one is offended by what the other person eats. We don't get on each other to work out, but when he gets grumpy I know he needs to spend some time by himself in our little gym so I encourage him to exercise. He is there for me if I need to vent considering my past with ED and anxiety. I wouldn't say we are cheerleaders or anything, but we are always kind to each other and we know we want the best for each other whether or not we actually say it out loud.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Alone! I have people who are supportive, but no one is doing it with me. Once I got to the point where I was doing this for me, it became much easier. :) Good luck!

Same here. Hubby is very supportive but he definitely isn't eating the same things as me. He loves him cookies and pop, lol.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm very lucky it seems, since my husband and I did this together. It did help enormously to both be on the same track. We started this as a result of his health scare (we applied for life insurance, and his cholesterol and triglyceride numbers were really bad), so he was actually more into it at first than I was (he was the one who found and advocated using MFP). While we both changed our diet and became accountable for it, my husband did not do much exercise. In contrast, I committed to working out 5-6 days a week, so that part I've had and continue to do on my own. Also, he reached his weight loss goal before I did and started snacking a lot more often, which was difficult. Even now when we're both on maintenance, it can be tough, since he is able to eat so much more than I am (he's a tall guy and I'm 5'5"), but there are always going to be challenges and other people around me eating the wrong things/too much food. I just have to stay focused on the knowledge I now have and my goal to stay trim and fit.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    My husband is working up to going back to Atkins (which is not something that works for me, but something that works astounding well for him). Right now it's just me doing this, but I have really good reasons to lose so it hasn't been a problem. I do the grocery shopping so I buy foods for him that I don't like or that I at least do not have cravings for.

When he does go to Atkins,we'll still be eating really different foods; he likes things with high fat content. Those things don't work for me.

He used to do all the cooking; I bought a George Foreman grill and now I cook my lean meat on that and he does whatever he does with sauces and pasta, we sometimes make salad together (and he adds his bacon bits and full fat cheese after I've taken my portion), then we eat dinner together. He doesn't really eat vegetables or fruit, so those are all mine.
  • maya88j
    maya88j Posts: 29
    Options
    Pretty much feel alone after my close friend who was usually my workout partner moved away now im just trying to be motivated and do the best I can so if anyone is looking for some motivation im sure to help you as long as you will also motivate me cause im sure I well need it
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes and No. My husband doesn't need to lose any weight. Honestly, he could probably stand to gain a few. On top of it, he's a recovering alcoholic so he craves sugar like CRAZY!! So after dinner every night he goes and dives in to his pantry o' crap and I try to stick to tea or maybe a piece of chocolate. It can be really tough! BUT he is super proud of me for taking this step in my life and helps me plan nutritious meals that we can both enjoy. We're still trying to figure out how I can eat sandwiches without bread (I LOVE sandwiches but have recently noticed a gluten intollerance); he spent over an hour this weekend making me a bunch of different finger sandwiches with slices of cucumbers as the top and bottom. It was adorable!

Sounds like you and your hubby are a match made in heaven! It's sorta like that with me and my hubby. We both have been able to blend what we enjoy as far as eating and it's working so far. I wish you well and love your wedding photo. :happy:

Thanks! We jokingly say we're the only person that could put up with the other one. My best friend married us... that's him photo bombing our first kiss. Love it!