Having trouble finding nutrition guidance.

I'm burning 1000 to 2000 calories a day through exercise. All the nutritional info I google tells me I should only lose 2 pounds a week. One article written by a doctor said it was physiologically impossible to burn more than two pounds in a week. But I'm exercising enough to lose 3 pounds per week.

In addition I'm targeting a food deficit that should lose 2 pounds a week. While there is plenty of info about nutrition while at this food deficit, I'm having trouble finding anything that fits my situation.

Today for instance I went for a 23 mile bike ride and this site is advising me to consume 145 grams of protein. That seems ridiculous, but I am concerned that I am getting enough to support my muscles. I also think the calories burned that this site shows are too high, but pushing 318 pounds for 23 miles at an average speed of 14 mph does burn a bunch.

The other problem I'm having is difficulty in eating as much as I think I should. I didn't eat before the ride, had 3 eggs and an orange when I got back home and later 4oz of lean roast beef and 3 breaded artichoke hearts. That's under 700 calories for the day, and the prospect of eating more before bed seems very unpleasant as I feel quite full. I'm going to eat a muffin and drink a lot of skim milk.

I like the exercise but am disturbed to find that I'm forcing myself to eat when I don't want to and worry that I'm not getting enough nutrition for my level of exertion. I do take a multi-vitamin for whatever that is worth.

Replies

• gregpstone
    gregpstone Posts: 23 Member
    No, I'm losing about 5 pounds a week as expected. The questions were about nutrition.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,317 Member
    You need to eat more than 700 calories a day, but you don't have to eat 4000....Try to plan your days a little better, so you eat a large meal before your exercise, and then maybe a protein shake afterwards, and have a meal prepared or at least planned for after your shower after the bike ride.

At your weight of above 300, the exercise numbers get a bit skewed, and the need for eating all the exercise calories is not that important - but you need to concentrate on good nutrition, and try to get between 1600-2500 no matter what. What is your recommended calorie goal?

A couple days of low nutrition isn't going to hurt you....it's a learning process.

• gregpstone
    Protein shakes might be the best bet. I got to over 1000 calories today by drinking 24 oz of milk.

It seemed to me that I should get up to my -2 pounds per week calorie deficit level but other than getting more protein into that 1900 calories, I shouldn't need to consume more calories because I am exercising.

I won't eat breakfast before working out as it inhibits the amount of work I can get done. I do bring a Clif bar on the rides in case I need something along the way.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Exercise massively increases your body's demands for all nutrients, not just protein fat and carbs but vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Eating enough doesn't just help maintain muscle mass, the buildings blocks for repair and maintenance of other tissues and all the nutrients you need for general health.

Athletes professional and amateur alike force themselves to eat when they don't want to whilst training intensively, it goes with the territory. If you are not willing to eat a balanced diet containing a sensible amount of calories and a balance of all the food groups cut back on your exercise - please understand exercise breaks the body down and puts it into a state of stress, rest and nutrition builds it back up so you can end up damaging your joints or suppressing the immune system by overtraining or undereating.

Protein shakes and multis are a supplement not a food replacement, they don't contain all the nutrients you need/ they are not necessarily the form best used by the body. You should be having something like nine servings of fruit and veggies in the full rainbow of colours, three servings of dairy a day, protein at every meal and snack, oily fish regularly ideally daily, other healthy fats regularly, plenty of fibre and mineral rich foods (nuts, seeds, beans, lentils).
  • gregpstone
    I think you overstate the case. Athletes have minimal amounts of fat as an energy reserve, most of the calories they consume are carbohydrates that are burned in the same day.

The site generated food requirements seem to indicate that calories expended in exercise must be replaced. Why?
  • cmriverside
    I think you overstate the case. Athletes have minimal amounts of fat as an energy reserve, most of the calories they consume are carbohydrates that are burned in the same day.

The site generated food requirements seem to indicate that calories expended in exercise must be replaced. Why?

As I stated in my earlier post, this site's exercise calorie numbers (and even HRM numbers - let's say exercise algorithms in general -) get skewed when you are over 300 pounds anyway: and then add to that the fact that with all the body fat you have, eating back exercise calories is really counter-indicated.

A couple reasons:

1. You really need to drop this weight. The faster the better, until you get down closer to just plain "overweight". Your body is under so much strain with all that weight...you literally need to save your life here.

2. You can get sufficient calories and nutrtition and maintain a huge deficit right now - your body is perfectly able to live off the stores of body fat - as long as you are carefully watching your protein and other nutrients. Really, you'd be well-served to seek out a good Bariatric Physician for monitoring your bloodwork and advising you on nutrition.

3. This site is a "dumb tool". The algorithms just spit out numbers. Some basic understanding of how weight-loss works, and applying your unique situation is needed. Yes, this site will give you a huge number of base calories and will add even more if you are entering exercise. In your case, don't eat back the exercise calories. When you get close to the "overweight" category (BMI) you will need to start eating them, but for now, just stick with a baseline. Otherwise, this site's tools will give you too many calories.
  • gregpstone
    I spent all morning reading contradictory articles, none of which addressed my particular issues.

My blood work is fine. My blood pressure is low, my blood sugar is low, nothing of concern. I'm retired at 57 due to disability. I'm 6' 4" and when I've been down to 280 I've been one of the strongest riders in a group that contains many who do 100 miles a week and one seven time national, three time world senior champion. I am losing weight, I'm not looking for motivation.

My conclusions are to cut back on my intense exercise to 3 or 4 times a weeks as the every day two hour sessions appear to be overkill, both from a weight loss perspective and with regards to keeping my joints happy. I'll supplement by chopping wood on the off days. I'm going to dial back my 5 pound per week weight loss to 3 pounds as numerous sources state that above 2 per week is unwise.
  • cmriverside
    Yeah, lots of conflicting stuff out there about this.

You're right, there is a point of diminishing payoff with exercise.

Good luck.