Roomates: College Senior 15?

Options
Does anyone live with roommates who perpetuate your bad eating habits? I live with a house full of young college girls who love to bake cookies, cupcakes, puppy chow, and who's favorite snacks are M&M's and chips.

When I'm hungry, I'm hungry, and I often grab these "bad" snacks in a rush. Does anyone else live in a house that's not very supportive of weight loss or healthy habits? It can be really hard to stay on track.

How do you keep from falling off track?

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it, in moderation.

But don't blame other people for your eating habits...I did that for years..and it just got me fatter.

Only YOU can control YOU
  • nat08b
    nat08b Posts: 14
    Options
    Only YOU can control YOU

True, and a good reminder. Thanks.
    However, my way of controlling myself is to not buy food I know I can't eat in moderation. I guess it's just comes down to facing the fact that I can have self control if I really want it bad enough. I can control what I eat and don't eat, and just because its there doesn't mean I have to let it control me.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Only YOU can control YOU

True, and a good reminder. Thanks.
    However, my way of controlling myself is to not buy food I know I can't eat in moderation. I guess it's just comes down to facing the fact that I can have self control if I really want it bad enough. I can control what I eat and don't eat, and just because its there doesn't mean I have to let it control me.

You got it.
    I struggle with it everyday...
  • sugarxmexsweet
    Options
    My mum eggs me on to eat things like last night she wanted me to eat the last of the chrismas biscuit which I nearly did but I said to her thanks for the offer but no.
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm a senior in college as well. All 3 of my roommates are constantly bringing home baked goods, suggesting we go to Chipotle, etc. You just have to find the will-power within you! And make good choices.

If you know you won't stop eating the cookies like you said, then don't even have one. That's how it's been for me as well. With something like Chipotle, I know I can go there and make a smart decision and not feel guilty. If I'm going out with my roommates, I know that I'm going to make bad decisions so a lot of times I'll decide not to go. It really is about YOU and you don't have to answer to anyone else about your choices.
  • hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    YOU need to make sure that there's an alternative to what they leave out! Have a fruit bowl by the door, have some single servings of nuts nearby, have some hummus and healthy chips (kale?) ready to go.

YOU establish the pattern! YOU decide what you want.
  • Elbeckistan
    Elbeckistan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. My house is filled with tons of junk food! I personally do not purchase it, but other adults in my home do. The trick is making sure that you have your own healthy snacks around for when you are hungry and making sure you control yourself when you are around the junk food. It takes a lot of discipline to control yourself, but you can do it. Honestly, I am so sick of looking at the junk food in my house, that it makes it easier for me to not eat it. I see my family gaining weight from the crap they eat and it helps even more! :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Does anyone live with roommates who perpetuate your bad eating habits? I live with a house full of young college girls who love to bake cookies, cupcakes, puppy chow, and who's favorite snacks are M&M's and chips.

When I'm hungry, I'm hungry, and I often grab these "bad" snacks in a rush. Does anyone else live in a house that's not very supportive of weight loss or healthy habits? It can be really hard to stay on track.

How do you keep from falling off track?

Oh I loved to be friends with those girls back in college.. go over there to watch a movie and they would have all these awesome treats (that were completely bad for you).. I miss it.. (my stomach doesn't)

In College I lived with a few guys and we would completely pressure each other into bad habits... Drinking, Ordering food (sometimes having 2 dinners a night), getting fast food when your about to cook dinner.. its all about living with a bunch of younger people that really don't care.. of course Guys are WAY different than girls.. we don't really care at that age that much.
  • nat08b
    Options
    My mum eggs me on to eat things like last night she wanted me to eat the last of the chrismas biscuit which I nearly did but I said to her thanks for the offer but no.

Good job! One choice at a time! Thanks for sharing.
  • peachhunting
    peachhunting Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish I lived with a bunch of college girls.
  • nat08b
    Options
    YOU need to make sure that there's an alternative to what they leave out! Have a fruit bowl by the door, have some single servings of nuts nearby, have some hummus and healthy chips (kale?) ready to go.

YOU establish the pattern! YOU decide what you want.

PREACH! Thank you!
  • Catsden
    Options
    I understand, I live with my husband and son who love to cook but they are "meat and potatoe" kind of guys! They can go a month without a green veggie on the plate! It's hard to resist when you are hungry!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating a serving size, and it fits in your calories, it won't kill you.

It's when you eat more then you are supposed to that you get in trouble.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Puppy chow?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Just measure it and log it...enjoy a portion and eat healthier foods the rest of the day.

There is always a little room for nomz.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Puppy chow?

Chex cereal, melted chocolate, peanut butter and tossed in powdered sugar.

It's awesome.