Hard time eating back calories burned

Options

Replies

• mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We are here to HELP people NOT put them down. I am trying to get HELP this is why I am asking which is a lot better then doing nothing about it. Please keep your snotty comments to yourself they are NOT needed or wanted.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Every time I see a I can't eat this many calories :sad: Wahhhhhhhhhhhh:sad:

I just shake my head and wonder how did you get here.

Too many bananas! :sad:

PS - this wasn't snotty... it is true... it just wasn't sugar coated
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    The reality is you need to find a way to eat more. With such an extreme calorie deficit and so much cardio, you are burning a lot of muscle, which I assume you would rather not do. I agree with the other poster who suggested estimating your calories burned early in the day and work on eating the calories you need throughout the day so you're not left with a huge amount at the end of the day. If you truly are finding this too difficult, ease up on the exercise. However, I would recommend eating healthy, calorie dense foods and continuing the exercise. Not to be rude, but I think most of us are here because we found ourselves eating too much, so I can't imagine it's that hard to eat enough. Like other suggested, try snacking on nuts, whole milk, cheese, avocados, nut butters, use olive oil, full fat dairy products and salad dressings and you should be fine.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Just find what works for you.
    I like almonds, peanut butter and if I really have to make the ultimate sacrifice....a BK Whopper!
    :bigsmile:
    Let's not suddenly pretend that we forgot how to eat...
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Eat more: Almonds, almond butter, peanuts, chia seeds, how about some protein shakes post workout?
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    Not being able to eat back exercise calories is the least of your problems if you think shooting for 800 calories a day is healthy. Looks like you need to take a look at what you really want because 800 calories is extremely low and won't get you healthy.
  • IrishSoul
    IrishSoul Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you know you are going to burn that much, add something to each Meal/snack.
    Add 100-200 and 100 to snacks. Be smart and eat complex carbs and protein.... Raw nuts/un salted are a quick way to get calories/ protein and healthy fats..... But limit yourself on them....

I think everyone in the thread agrees.... Eat.....

Keep up the great work!
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Eat the food, it's not bad, and you're not bad by eating. Especially if you're in that big of a deficit. You can do a search of the community for similar threads to see other responses.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I dont like eggs at all! But last night I did a bad thing and went out to get a chicken fried steak scramble (no eggs) Im pretty sure I ate back all of my calories :} Its just hard for me to eat them all back usually. I dont want to lose weight the unhealthy way so Im trying to figure this out!! I honestly dont feel that hungry at all and I dont want to stuff myself!!
    Going out and killing someone is doing a bad thing. Cheating on your husband is doing a bad thing. Eating chicken fried steak is not doing a bad thing. Stop looking at food as "good" or "bad". Most of the time, when someone can't get their head around eating enough calories, it's because they are being overly-restrictive with their diet. No one food will make you fat or stop you losing weight. Even lard.
  • kayla2709
    kayla2709 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Grab some nuts & Seeds. Just because you have worked your butt off in the gym and have to eat back your calories doesn't mean you can run to processed salty, fad laden foods that will sabitarge your weight loss. Try making a protein shake after your work out or eating some turkey or chicken breast. Don't waste the calories on food that you have worked so hard to work off! The less you eat the less you lose and the less you will feel. Eat clean, train dirty!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I have a question! I am having a hard time eating back the calories I burn. During the day I usually eat about 800 calories and I burn off about 600+. I know your sposed to be eating back the calories but yesterday with my food and exercise I had alomst 1000 calories to eat back. Any suggestions??? I am NOT trying to eat a low amout of calories and or exercise a lot but its getting confusing/hard lol

You are not supposed to only eat when you are hungry, that is your body telling you that you have failed to give it the nutrients it needs not an advance warning that it is meal time. Nobody healthy can be full on 800 calories spread out over four to six meals, you are either not eating frequently enough or have stuffed your body's satiety signals by dodgy past dieting.

This is not all about calories, your body needs a huge range of nutrients to be healthy, and this is substantially increased by exercise. It's just not possible to get anything like them all on 800 calories so you need to focus on fuelling and nourishing your body as any athlete would. Spread your days calories and macros out over four to six meals, start counting number of servings and eat - nine servings of fruit and veggies, three servings of reduced fat dairy, protein little and often all day, oily fish regularly, mineral and fibre rich foods little and often.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I dont like eggs at all! But last night I did a bad thing and went out to get a chicken fried steak scramble (no eggs) Im pretty sure I ate back all of my calories :} Its just hard for me to eat them all back usually. I dont want to lose weight the unhealthy way so Im trying to figure this out!! I honestly dont feel that hungry at all and I dont want to stuff myself!!
    Going out and killing someone is doing a bad thing. Cheating on your husband is doing a bad thing. Eating chicken fried steak is not doing a bad thing. Stop looking at food as "good" or "bad". Most of the time, when someone can't get their head around eating enough calories, it's because they are being overly-restrictive with their diet. No one food will make you fat or stop you losing weight. Even lard.

LOUD CLAPPING!!!

I hate hearing/reading "Oh, I'm so good today!" or "Oh, I'm gonna be bad and have such & such".

Food isn't good or bad. It's an inanimate object. Your feelings about it are the only good/bad in the mix. Get over the guilt and emotion and you'll see that eating to fuel your body is good - and enjoying food is good too.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand people who say things like this. I mean, honestly, are you not hungry? If I do a 60 minute workout, I'm ready for a big meal!

I don't know why you're only eating about 800 calories. You should not be eating less than 1200. If you burn off 600, then you'll have only 600 to eat back. If you break your meals up into 3 meals + snacks, with 400 calorie lunches and dinners, you should always be able to get to 1200. How and when you eat is just as important as what you eat and what your calories are. It's not just about the number.

As others have said, if you know you're working out, you need to buff up each meal and each snack.. eat healthy fats (olive oil, nuts), good carbs, protein, etc..
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    So 1200 includes my deficit?? lol.. is it 500 cals? OMG I had no idea.. is this why the loss is takign sooo long??
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Add high calorie but healthy foods to your diet.
    When I was used to a 1200 calorie diet, then upped my calories..
    I changed from plain Greek yogurt to fruited Greek Yogurt.
    Added protein to my salad at lunch.
    Nuts to my afternoon fruit snack.
    It's very doable.... obviously we all know how to eat unhealthy- thats why the majority of us got here....
    but to add calories in healthy ways can be challenging until you educate yourself on what are higher calorie healthy foods.

When I get to end of day and still have calories left, I will have a treat if it fits into my calories for the day- its not about deprivation as that will be self sabotage in the long run... its about fitting your lifestyle into your calorie limit and fitting your calorie limit into your lifestyle......
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A kot of people are willing to give advice without all of the facts. For instance, how tall you are. That will play into how many calories you need. I have a mother-in-law who is 4'10". She shouldn't be eating the almighty 1200 calories (and she doesn't). Without seeing your food diary it is tough to tell where you can add calories. Instead of trying to eat back your workout calories I would suggest that you figure out what your BMR is and try to gradually hit that number. Are you estimating what you are eating or are you measuring and weighing everything that goes into your mouth. If you are not measuring I would suggest that you start doing that first. You may find that you are easting more than you think.

Little items like nuts or cheese may be the way to add to your calories if you are truly only eating 800 calories. It takes guts to ask questions so I congratulate you on at least posting your question.
  • mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A kot of people are willing to give advice without all of the facts. For instance, how tall you are. That will play into how many calories you need. I have a mother-in-law who is 4'10". She shouldn't be eating the almighty 1200 calories (and she doesn't). Without seeing your food diary it is tough to tell where you can add calories. Instead of trying to eat back your workout calories I would suggest that you figure out what your BMR is and try to gradually hit that number. Are you estimating what you are eating or are you measuring and weighing everything that goes into your mouth. If you are not measuring I would suggest that you start doing that first. You may find that you are easting more than you think.

Little items like nuts or cheese may be the way to add to your calories if you are truly only eating 800 calories. It takes guts to ask questions so I congratulate you on at least posting your question.

Thank you so much for understanding! I did not sign up for people to bash me, and will not let it bring me down!! Its sad when people are so judgemental and jump to conclusions just because its not "normal to them" I am 5"4" 1/2 ;} My goal weight is my senior year weight at 155lbs size 3/5. I am VERY muscual naturally so I doubt ill ever get lower then that which is fine with me. I am trying to understand all of this because In high school I was a year round athlete so I was always in shape and could eat whatever I wanted.
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I actually have that same problem. For breakfast and lunch, I'd total 300-400 calories. Then I work out and burn between 600-800 calories. Now, I have to eat 1000+ calories to be not starving myself? And unfortunately, not 1000+ in chocolate. lol For some of us it is hard. I'm getting used to balancing out my meals and adding enough protein, starches, and good fats.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think you may be overestimating your exercise cals (or MFP is) based on what you mentioned regarding your workouts. While I do not have one, as others have mentioned HR Monitors will give you a better/more accurate calculation of calories burned during your cardio workouts. Once you have a more accurate count of calories burned, I would guess that you woudl have less calories left to consume and here are some higher calorie items that are good for you (some repeated from others):

-Almonds (I like the cocoa roasted from emerald or blue diamond) - 160 cal per serving
    -Triscuits (120 cals for 6) with peanut or almond butter (190 cals for 2 tbls) - 330 cal per snack/serving
    -Protein Shake (I use gold standard whey-french vanilla creme - 120 cals a scoop) with almond milk (30 cals) - 150 cals a shake
    -Avocados are good on their own, on any sand or salad or with just a sprinkle of salt - 250 cals for a whole one
    -Traditional Greek Yogurt 160-180 cals

Adding a couple of higher calorie healthy snacks or higher calorie additions to each meal will likely get you closer to your goal and feed your body better.

Good Luck!
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary or knowing any diet restrictions - it's hard to say. for me personally, 800 calories would be way to low for me to also exercise and still be a hospitable human being.

Try some higher calorie but healthy snacks - I like a piece of toast with peanut butter and sliced up banana, low fat chocolate milk is a great recovery drink with some calories, nuts (almonds, cashews, etc) apple with peanut butter, celery with nut butter, etc. If you plan it out, you can still eat a relatively low volume of food (if it's the volume you can't stomach or get past) that are still high in nutritional value.

Be careful eating too few calories and working out so much - you don't want to lose valuable lean body mass from not properly fueling your body. Good luck!