Good way to log olive oil?

Options

Replies

• TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Personally I log whatever I use, it's the safest way to ensure you capture the calories. Asides which, as long as you're not saturating the hell out of whatever you're cooking or dressing those cals shouldn't be too huge anyway!

Re: cooking with Olive Oil - I cook some meals with olive oil for the taste it gives, but I have a range of oils for whatever the mood takes - for example, sesame oil for stir fried dishes is absolutely lush. :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Personally I log whatever I use, it's the safest way to ensure you capture the calories.

surviving-jail.jpg
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    just log what you use. if you put a tablespoon in, add that. if it evaporates then whatever but at least you know you're not eating more than what you say you're eating.

I agree with ^^^
  • chavens85
    Options
    I work with a nutritionist and she says that Coconut Oil isn't as amazing as everything thinks it is. The high amount of saturated fat is why it should be used in very little moderation. It isn't considered "heart healthy" like other oils such as extra virgin olive oil and rapeseed oil.

People starting jumping on the coconut oil train because of it's high smoke point and when "health professionals" like Dr. Oz totes it's benefits, but in the end it's still high in saturated fat and should be used sparingly.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Log it all, do some extra jumping jacks. Case closed.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I log what I put in the pan. I just know that although I may have put down 1 or 2 tb, for example, I didn't actually use all those calories. The amount that left in the pan isn't enough to worry about with regards to logging.

20 calories either way isn't something to worry about.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I put the bottle on the scale, zero it, pour JUST enough into the pan as I need (the pan is dry after cooking is done). put the bottle back on the scale, and log that many grams. For just me it's usually like 8-10g, for a bigger meal sometimes 20.

that seems like the best idea
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I work with a nutritionist and she says that Coconut Oil isn't as amazing as everything thinks it is. The high amount of saturated fat is why it should be used in very little moderation. It isn't considered "heart healthy" like other oils such as extra virgin olive oil and rapeseed oil.

People starting jumping on the coconut oil train because of it's high smoke point and when "health professionals" like Dr. Oz totes it's benefits, but in the end it's still high in saturated fat and should be used sparingly.
    It doesn't even have a very high smoke point...
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I log what I put in the pan. I just know that although I may have put down 1 or 2 tb, for example, I didn't actually use all those calories. The amount that left in the pan isn't enough to worry about with regards to logging.

20 calories either way isn't something to worry about.

Yep. Hell, for a lot of people, 100 calories either way isn't going to be noticed.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Everything I cook is with olive oil, and it's so hard to log because even if I measure it out there will always be some that sticks to the pan, evaporates, doesn't get eaten, etc. Normally that doesn't matter but olive oil is so calorie dense that every teaspoon counts. Does anyone have an accurate way of keeping track of it?

I'm a little confused....you've lost 69 lbs already and this is just NOW become an issue? What were you doing for the last 69 lbs? Whatever that was...keep doing it.

Disclaimer: If what you were doing before was not healthy and not sustainable...then GREAT question. Just log what you use to cook, and if you don't "use" it all, then you're fine anyway. The goal is not to be perfect, because that just isn't going to happen, the goal is to be consistent and pay attention to the calories and not let things get completely out of hand. Going over every now and again isn't the end of the world and going under every now and again isn't going to stop time and make the moon drop out of orbit either. Be as consistent and close as you can as much as you can and you will see results.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Everything I cook is with olive oil, and it's so hard to log because even if I measure it out there will always be some that sticks to the pan, evaporates, doesn't get eaten, etc. Normally that doesn't matter but olive oil is so calorie dense that every teaspoon counts. Does anyone have an accurate way of keeping track of it?
    You're using more oil than you need if you have that much left over (unless it's in a marinade).
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stopped cooking with oils all together. I use an unsalted chicken broth if I need extra moisture in a pan. I have great pans, so stuff doesn't stick to begin with, but if I want assistance softening, caramelizing, or keeping things from scorching at high heat, I go for the chicken stock. And considering its about 15 calories for a cup... I think its well worth the difference. (not to mention the little added taste it gives is nice)

15 cal vs 180 cal.... easy win in my book:drinker:
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Where's one of those quacky articles from Mercola when you need one.

*Soak your microwave in olive oil and a car air freshener before eating fruit on an empty stomach which can cure cancer.
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    "Everything evaporates"? Not really. Although oil will and can evaporate over time depending on the type of oil and under what conditions, it will not affect the nutritional value of your meal. Log it all unless your draining off a good amount at the end, but like someone said before, if this is the case ,you're probably using too much to begin with.

What substance doesn't evaporate...?

Ummm.....sand. Or any other solid, and please save the whole, "everything has at least some small quantity of liquid so therefore evaporates " rant.

The scientist in me can't keep my mouth shut. There are 3 states of matter: solid, liquid, and gas. At a high enough temperature, everything turns to gas. The temperature at which a liquid turns to gas is the boiling point. Every substance has a different boiling point due to the different structure of the chemical makeup.

For oils, the "smoke point" where the taste goes funny is apparently much lower than the boiling point, so we don't usually achieve evaporation with oils if using them correctly.

In terms of the states of matter, coconut oil is interesting because the temperature where the solid turns into a liquid is so close to room temp. Other oils are always liquid at room temp, and would need to be much colder to turn to a solid.
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Ummm.....sand. Or any other solid, and please save the whole, "everything has at least some small quantity of liquid so therefore evaporates " rant.

Well if you heat sand up to a high enough temperature it well eventually turn to to liquid which can then evaporate. Even in its solid state with the right amount of pressure and temperature it can go directly from solid to gas phase.

EDIT: Got ninj'd by Amandatorie.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Something that can't evaporate is my lack of giving a crap about the scientific side of a simple comment. Trust me, it always remains as a solid... :wink:

*edited to add winkeyface* lol
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I just assume that if I poured it in the pan, I ate it. If that means my tracked calories are a bit higher than reality, I'm fine with that.
  • jogy
    jogy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I log all of it. Calorie counting isn't an exact science, so the way I see it I'll probably make up any minor errors elswhere and it'll all even out in the end..

Same here! I find it better to "over" evaluate then "under" evaluate. But, to be honest, I'm not the type to measure and weigh everything to an exact science.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I would rather over estimate my calories consumed than under.

Deep fried is another story...but even there I do a little online research to double check the figures provided in MFP before I log it.

Many times I just build a recipe so it breaks down the numbers for me in that particular dish. Example: Yesterday I prepared a spaghetti squash and used a measured amount of roasted garlic olive oil in the whole dish. I built a recipe based on the 4 cups of squash I got out of it after cooking plus the measured amount of oil. (estimated 1c servings) and just added 1 serving of my recipe to my diary.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options

Water evaporates; solids (and calories) remain. The only way not to log it is if you drain it off and measure it. And even then, make sure it's all oil and not other liquids. If you're using a lot of olive oil, you're eating a lot of olive oil. Don't fool yourself that somehow it's not there.