INSANITY QUESTION... PLEASE I'M STARVING!!!

Options
So I'm doing insanity and the calories on here are WAY less than the nutrition guide says I should be eating! Every time I eat according to this site I'm always STARVING by the time I come home from work (night shift), so I end up eating right before I go to bed... Which isn't good for me... Anyone done insanity or similar program? Any thoughts or pointers?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I have done Insanity, Follow their Nutrition Guide.. 1200 calories is not enough for the program.. Not eating enough will make you see no results.. Eat.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Your muscles need nutrition to recover from the workouts. Are you correctly adding the exercise to your diary?
  • NothingNeverChanges
    Options
    Ps: The difference is Insanity-2600 cal MFP-1500
    I'm also doing some extra cardio a couple days a week.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Firstly, the calories on MFP are low because they expect you to add on additional calories from exercise (which other programmes already factor in). Are you recording your insanity burn, and increasing what you eat accordingly?

How long have you been doing this - it can take your body a week or 2 to adjust to a new regime.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Ps: The difference is Insanity-2600 cal MFP-1500
    I'm also doing some extra cardio a couple days a week.

Your doing extra cardio as well.. Ya eat the 2600 at the lowest 2200 especially with you doing extra cardio..
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Eat more quality food, lean proteins, veggies and whole grain, eat more OFTEN, every 2-3 hours. You CAN eat before bed, your body doesn't care what time it is and it could use the food to help you recover while sleeping.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    When you log the cals you burned your cal intake limit increases that day for that reason. Are you following that? Protein shakes can be very helpful too. I just started once a day mixing a scoop of North Coast ISO Chocolate Whey Protein with a cup of skimmed milk. I feel fuller longer.
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    with anything, if you're hungry, you need to eat but make smart choices! high protein and fiber to keep you fuller longer
  • NothingNeverChanges
    Options
    I've googled what they say is the closest which is circuit training. I just finished week 1 and I'm not hungry while I'm at work but when I get home I'm dying lol... This is so hard!
  • lildutchgirl
    Options
    Don't forget to drink lots of water!
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    always listen to your body. if you're hungry (and it's not from boredom which i know yours isn't) then eat something healthy. 1500 is way too low for insanity. make sure if you follow the 1500 you add in your exercise calories.
  • NothingNeverChanges
    Options
    I'm following the recipes on the guide pretty much to the T... Putting the recipes on here really helps and they're pretty close to what the The guide says. Screw it Ill just eat more...
  • harveyc1987
    harveyc1987 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    idk I had about 1200-1400 calories to eat when I was doing insanity. I would leave home at 8:30am & not get back until 11pm-12pm at night. I would eat probably 3 meals and snack on the norm. Try to eat things that are more fulling like left green vegatables, cucumber water, protein, fiber etc etc. I didn't get the starvation message to much becuase I tried to eat back the calories I lost from working out that day, so i was under but not to far under & I wasn't hunger.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ignore what the site says and customize your goals.

You need to find out what your BMR and TDEE are.
    Try these calculators: TDEE: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    BMR: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

Adjust your macros - with an emphasis on protein and good fats, and a bit less on carbs. You'll find it will hold you out better.

Small snacks during the day, emphasizing protein and vegetables. Nuts can be a good source for proteins and fats.

I do MRT 4 days a week, and try to eat at 85% of my TDEE. If I stuck with MFP recommendations and macro balance, I'd be starving too.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The time of day that you eat really doesn't matter, if that's what you're concerned about.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor and use that to add your exercise - circuit training is not really comparable, especially if you are putting in a lot of effort.

ETA: Your body doesn't care about eating late at night - it cares about how many calories you're taking in.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Ignore what the site says and customize your goals.

You need to find out what your BMR and TDEE are.
    Try these calculators: TDEE: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    BMR: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

Adjust your macros - with an emphasis on protein and good fats, and a bit less on carbs. You'll find it will hold you out better.

Small snacks during the day, emphasizing protein and vegetables. Nuts can be a good source for proteins and fats.

I do MRT 4 days a week, and try to eat at 85% of my TDEE. If I stuck with MFP recommendations and macro balance, I'd be starving too.

^^THIS IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!^^^

Also remember the Calorie Count on your MFP Profile is NET Calories....Your Total Calories may be much higher (based on your activity that day. A HRM or in my case my Body Media Fit Link help to keep you informed of your activity level. (MFP figures tend to be a bit over estimated). I have my NET Calories set on MFP at 1500 but there are days I eat 19-2100 calories. (usually 500-1000 calories under my TDEE)
  • bhopejones
    Options
    always listen to your body. if you're hungry (and it's not from boredom which i know yours isn't) then eat something healthy. 1500 is way too low for insanity. make sure if you follow the 1500 you add in your exercise calories.

this. listen to your body. if you're healthy, and you've already eaten your meals, have a small healthy snack. a handful of almonds, a fresh fruit smoothie, a handful of carrots, whatever. eat when you're hungry. otherwise you're hardly doing any good for your body.
  • NothingNeverChanges
    Options
    Thank you all so much for all the input! Definitely buying a heart rate monitor! :) I can now go to sleep and not feel bad about the snack I just ate!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If youre hungry: eat.good.food.