Important question about cancer and healthcare. PLEASE HELP!

Options
Ok, I know that this is off topic but I am at my wits end. I really need some advice and every one I talk to and every # I call tells me there's nothing tha they can do.

Out of the blue my mother found out in october of last year ('09) that she had STAGE 4 Ovarian Cancer. She was working at walmart at the time but could not afford medical insurance due to the fact that she is single, living on her own, and walmart doesn't pay crap. Anyway, she was put into the hospital, had surgery, and ended up having to leave her job. She applied for Social Security Disability and was aproved but was put on the standard 5 month waiting list. She she received Medicaid for the 5 months that she was waiting for her ssi disability to kick in. She was able to have a few chemo treatments and another surgery before the 5 months was over and the medicaid ran out. Once she started receiving disability they dropped her medicaid, but told her that she was eligible for medicare. The problem is that there is a standard 24 month waiting period from the time that you are deemed "disabled" until your medicare kicks in. Once Social Security dropped her medicaid she reapplied through the state. They denied her because they said that she was over the income limit. The only income that she receives is $900 Disability and she cannot afford health insurance. I added up her regular monthly bills yesterday and they are over $1300. My husband and I have had to take on some of her bills just so she will have money for things like groceries. How can medicaid think $900 is "too much money"!!!! I don't know what to do. She still has chemo treatments that she needs that are several thousand dollars apeice and not to mention prescritions. I called tons and tons of insurance companies and 90% of them would not even accept her because she had a pre existing condition. and the few thast would wanted more than she makes in a month and and OUTRAGEOUS deductible. I am out of ideas and am exhausted! She had fought so hard and come so far and is going to end up losing in the end anyway solely based on money????? What do people do in situations like this? I've talked to case worker after case worker and they tell us that there is nowhere else to turn. My mom is only 43 years old!!!! We live in Texas by the way, I know that state laws are different and different states have different programs. If any of you have any suggestions or any phone numbers to call, PLEASE let me know! Thanks for taking the time to read this cause it is very important to me and thanks in advance for any advice that you have.

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I don't know too much that would be helpful, but when my mother in law was sick with leukemia and couldn't afford her medication, the doctor helped her talk to the pharmaceutical company, as they do sometimes provide it free of charge when people have no money, and we got her cancer meds that way. I am forwarding this to my daughter, who is a social worker in Texas, to see if she knows anything. Praying for you -
  • noseovertail
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have many suggestions for you, but I just wanted to post to tell you that I hope something works out for your mom. Have you tried contacting the American Cancer Society? Or look into your state's "high risk pool" health insurance, it's designed for people who have pre-existing conditions.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Wow that is truly horrible and exactly why we need a healthcare overhaul in this country. No one should be without health care because they can't pay. Surely there has to be some program to help your mom. There cannot be "no other options." What a difficult situation you are in...perhaps talk to the physician about your situation? At least he/she could lead you in the right direction, perhaps. Then again they might just tell you to talk to a social worker. You need to talk to someone face-to-face so they can see you and understand everything. A lot of times over the phone doesn't work...get all of your paper work together and take it in. MAKE someone help you...I'm afraid you might be in for quite a battle. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I posted a link to this on a couple of threads I frequent to see if anyone there knows anything. Wishing you the best -
  • wannbAhottie
    wannbAhottie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know how important medical insurance is for anyone and everyone not matter the situation, but a I can completely understand what you are going through. One thing we did when my dad was diagnosed with cancer; we contacted the hospital and Dr. that was treating him. They worked with my parents and they actually had grants for people who had no way to pay. It was long and tedious with a lot of paperwork but it was well worth it. My dad was doing chemo three times a week, dialasis (SP) everyday, and not having money never stopped them from helping him. His onclolgist also helped him with getting his medications that were 10,000 a month virtually paid for. I hope this help's, because I know the worry and stress going through this. You may have to bug a lot of people and fight for it, and I hope you and your mom will get the help you need.
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    This makes me so angry. In most any other developed country this kind of denial of health care would never be tolerated. It's an outrage. We shouldn't have to beg borrow and steal to get medical attention, it is just deplorable!

I wish I had an answer for you, but i would follow every suggestion given thus far, and write and contact as many people and agencies as possible until someone steps up . With the damn bureaucracy involved, sometimes it takes many calls, and often it is just getting the right person on the other end who will actually give a crap enough to listen, give some thought, and offer some real assistance. Fight for it!! Demand it even. We shouldn't have to, but we do.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about your situation! There are many public hospitals and clinics that will treat patients regardless of their ability to pay - I am unsure if this applies to chemotherapy or not. I would talk to the oncologist and see if they can help you. Sometimes thay can make payment plans so that people who are unable to pay upfront can still recieve treatment. Also, sometimes trial treatments can be given at no cost, if that is something your mother would be interested in. It is truely disgusting that someone cannot get the lifesaving treatment they need because of their inability to pay. I wish you and your family the best and I wish I had some concrete answers for you, but all I can say is be pushy and ask eneryone involved in your mothers care what your options are and if they have any ideas/suggestions that might help!
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to call the american cancer society in the morning to see if they have any suggestions. It's kind of ironic because I am fundraising for relay for life and participating in it in June, which supports the American Cancer Society. All the while my mom is struggling with cancer and has nowhere to turn! UGH!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Also, be sure to appeal her denial of medicare. Sometimes they make mistakes and sometimes they just deny people so they'll go away. Be the person who won't go away...
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,710 Member
    Options
    I don't have any more suggestions than the ones you've already received, but I just wanted to give you my support and best wishes for a good outcome! :heart:
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I was told recently by someone pretty high up at Kaiser that the hospital you first go to for care is then on the hook for your medical care. She said half the patients have no insurance but are still getting treatment. This would include chemo. She's in a position to know. I hope this is truly the case as nobody should be without medical care. I hope your mom gets the care she needs. What a tough deal all the way around. I'm glad she has her family to support her. :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Check with the bar association in your state to see if they have a referral program that would enable you to review the situation with an attorney who specializes in dealing with social security related claims. Oregon has a lawyer referral program that allows such a consult at a reduced rate.

I hope that all the suggestions that have been posted will result in a solution for your mom to get the care she needs. I am glad you are there for her in her time of need. Good luck.
  • frogmouse
    Options
    I am a social worker in Texas, and I tried to find some resources that may be helpful. I live in Tarrant County, so I may not know your local agencies, but I could certainly help you look.

Tarant, Parker, and Hood Counties www.cancercareservices.org
    Statewide www.lonestarlegal.org provides legal aid
    Nationwide www.coverageforall.org Foundation for Health Coverage Education provides a list of possible services
    www.pparx.org Partnership for Prescription Assistance

I hope these are helpful, let me know if I can do more.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Also try calling the drug companies - they may have a program to get you discounted meds.

So sorry!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Also try calling the drug companies - they may have a program to get you discounted meds.

So sorry!

Having been an oncology pharmaceutical rep for the past 10 years, I will say that the above statement is true. Actually the drugs would most likely be free. The doctor should know what rep to contact based on the drugs needed. There is some paperwork involved & criteria to be met, but your mom sounds like a great candidate for these programs.

If her cancer type/stage/etc. matches up with a trial going on then all drugs & follow-up care would be completely free and covered by the sponsor of the trial. The great thing there is that trials normally happen at very reputable facilities w/some of the biggest thought leaders in oncology & highly trained, top-notch nurses that have been in oncology for years & years. Hopefully one that matches your mom's disease state is going on somewhere close to her.