Chronic Nightmares

Options
2»

Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Anyone else out there have chronic nightmares?
    I get nightmares almost every night, sometimes multiple times a night.
    Sometimes they are scary. sometimes they are emotionally disturbing, sometimes just completely random but upsetting.
    It has been going on for years now, and I don't know why.

Suggestions?

yeah, but I'm crazy.

medication is your friend.

I thought the same thing... about medication and your cray
  • jbird40
    jbird40 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have the same issue; I did some self-help for it about 6 months ago it was/is quite a process.
    I was a counselor before changing to therapy/education this is common.. There are thing you can do, if you would like to talk more you can send a private message and I can send a flow sheet of activities to do. My dreams were so bad I would refuse to fall asleep, were talking the worse horror movies ever made did not compare. Keep in mind that medication can cause them to be worse. I had the same issue as a child for about 5 years in a row.
    Are you by chance taking an Rx heart burn medication?
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    I have a vivid dream problem. They can be nasty nightmares. Work on learning to control them ("lucid" dreams). I used to take classes at The School of Metaphysics for help with that.

Things I learned that helped curb the disturbing aspects of my dreams:

1. as an above poster said, WRITE THEM DOWN. Every morning. Have a notebook under your pillow or on the bedside table. Write them down as soon as you wake up, or you'll lose the details. Even if they wake you in the middle of the night, write them down. I don't know why this helps, but it really does. Something about writing down these dream experiences seems to signal the subconscious that you're not scared of them, or something. Whatever...

2. Meditate in the evenings. Still the mind before going to bed and your last thoughts and emotions are less likely to turn into scary stuff to chase you around in dreamtime.

3. Take care of the body. Eat well, exercise regularly, and destress as much as possible.

4. Identify real life events that are influencing your dream metaphors. My mom dreams of tornadoes when there's illness in the family or financial woes. I dream that my teeth are falling out when I'm having relationship problems. I also dream that I'm going to have relationship problems when nothing bad is happening at all. Sometimes nightmares are for obvious real world issues, sometimes not. But identifying triggers helps you overcome the helpless feelings of dream fears. Seasons, moon phases, and body cycles also seem to have an effect on some people but not others. Writing dreams down then analyzing when they happen might help you identify times in your life that the dreams are worse than others.

These tips have helped me a ton over the years. Maybe they'll help you?

Above I went into detail why I can't really journal my dreams as soon as I wake up, or even do it while in the bedroom. My husband works night shift so when I wake up, he has only been asleep for a few hours and I can't make noise, turn on a light or anything. I just sneak out of the room as to not wake him. When we have the same sleep schedule someday I definitely want to keep a dream journal though. the other 3 though I do practice. Sometimes I can link my nightmares to a real life situation, not that it helps make them any less disturbing.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I had night terrors so badly as a child that I was medicated. I believe the most common explanation is that the child is so exhausted, he or she is fighting sleep and that causes the nightmares.

I have them as an adult occasionally, and I used to get them a lot more than I used to. Watch your dairy intake at dinner, try doing something to pamper yourself before bed, read something pleasant, and go to bed early. Try writing in a journal or blog before bed too... My nightmares are directly proportional to my general anxiety in life. If I'm worked up over something at work or among friends or family, I get nightmares. Journaling can help you sort your thoughts, think things through, and perhaps soothe any anxiety you've got going on. Tea can also help (nighttime tea or Valerian root - although I'll warn you - valerian root STINKS TO HIGH HELL and if you have a cat, she will go batsh*t crazy for it). Johnson & Johnson does a nighttime soothing bubble bath for babies, and I believe Walmart has their own version of it for cheaper. That worked well for me... smelled wonderful!

Good luck!
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    I have the same issue; I did some self-help for it about 6 months ago it was/is quite a process.
    I was a counselor before changing to therapy/education this is common.. There are thing you can do, if you would like to talk more you can send a private message and I can send a flow sheet of activities to do. My dreams were so bad I would refuse to fall asleep, were talking the worse horror movies ever made did not compare. Keep in mind that medication can cause them to be worse. I had the same issue as a child for about 5 years in a row.
    Are you by change taking an Rx heart burn medication?

I am only taking birth control and metformin for PCOS
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    don't fight the dark side.

welcome it...embrace it....enjoy it
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    I had night terrors so badly as a child that I was medicated. I believe the most common explanation is that the child is so exhausted, he or she is fighting sleep and that causes the nightmares.

I have them as an adult occasionally, and I used to get them a lot more than I used to. Watch your dairy intake at dinner, try doing something to pamper yourself before bed, read something pleasant, and go to bed early. Try writing in a journal or blog before bed too... My nightmares are directly proportional to my general anxiety in life. If I'm worked up over something at work or among friends or family, I get nightmares. Journaling can help you sort your thoughts, think things through, and perhaps soothe any anxiety you've got going on. Tea can also help (nighttime tea or Valerian root - although I'll warn you - valerian root STINKS TO HIGH HELL and if you have a cat, she will go batsh*t crazy for it). Johnson & Johnson does a nighttime soothing bubble bath for babies, and I believe Walmart has their own version of it for cheaper. That worked well for me... smelled wonderful!

Good luck!

I don't eat dairy, so that couldn't be it. I have valerian root pills, I haven't tried them yet though until I found out more about them. I have a lavender pillow spray that helps me fall asleep quickly, but does nothing for the nightmares. I feel like I have tried everything, and it just has continued on for like 2.5 years now
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I used to dream a lot about being in a tornado and/or being chased by an unseen person or thing. I looked those up in some dream dictionaries and online to figure our the meanings. Once I figured out what could be causing my stress or whatever, I started having them less frequently. I haven't had a chase dream in quite a while, but I do still dream about being in a tornado now and then.

My husband is on some medication that is for blood pressure, but is taken for him to make it so he doesn't remember his nightmares. He has them almost every night.
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would try the herbal route first. My herbalist loves ashwagandha for improved sleep (among other benefits). I did a quick search & here's an interesting link:

http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2012/09/03/herbs-to-help-fight-nightmares
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you have these. I've had them for years and eventually 'learned' how to wake myself up. I honestly don't even know how I can do it, but I know that if I'm in the middle of a nightmare and I tell myself to open my eyes, I wake up, realize it was a nightmare, then go back to sleep. It's kind of creepy waking up with my eyes open. I did it just last night after dreaming that my 2 year old grandson was drowning and I couldn't get to him. It doesn't stop the nightmares but at least I can escape them. Strange...

I've heard that you can learn techniques for doing this. I bet a web search would lead straight to it. I think we can be lucid through part of our dreams and that is why it works...
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    I would try the herbal route first. My herbalist loves ashwagandha for improved sleep (among other benefits). I did a quick search & here's an interesting link:

http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2012/09/03/herbs-to-help-fight-nightmares

Thank you!! finally something I haven't tried yet, maybe that will help
  • TattooedPinUpGal
    Options
    I had one once about some guy that came killing everyone in our neighborhood with a big sword.

I kept running and eventually ran into a giant "piggy bank" (literally....a giant porcelain pig with a cork at the bottom)......

i crawled up inside and stayed there....while giant tractors scooped up all the dead bodies on the roads.

Eventually I put all those together and figured out that I was running away from a certain issue....

and that I put so much of my energy into having money.

After I sorted out those issues....the dream never came again.

I know it sounded silly....but it was actually really scary. haha
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have been having nightmares since childhood (I used to sleep walk back then too & occasionally now) but as for my adulthood - If I stop having nightmares for more than a few nights I worry b/c that is my norm. When I don't have them I think that something is wrong - I know it sounds weird. I have many dream books & I keep a dream journal. That may help you to at least understand what the dreams are saying. Good luck !! :flowerforyou: