Vegan Diet

Options

Replies

• gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I dont think MFP is the best place to ask this. People on here are *kitten* when it comes to it. Try going into one of the vegan groups on here and asking. Or better yet, try it out and see for yourself.

Yeah unfortunately I tend to have my hackles up when these threads appear too. There seem to be just a handful of omnis who feel the need to post some ignorant/antagonizing response when these threads appear though. So while I totally understand this ^ response we should probably just not feed the trolls (I'm guilty of this btw :blushing: ).

To all the omnis who wonder why we talk about it. Firstly, corpse-eating is assumed (it is the convention). We have to talk about it so that we will not get fed meat and we need to share recipes and ideas since we don't have as many resources as corpse-eaters. People on a plant based diet are in the minority (i.e. just like any minority we do not hold the majority of power). I hope someday you will join us in living a more compassionate life so we can be in the majority and make the entire world a better place--but that day has not yet arrived. We also believe in the plant based diet for a variety of reasons some of these "reasons" are actually undeniable facts (that some omnis like to argue but it does not change that we are talking about facts not feelings). Two of the most important facts are:

1. Factory farming is detrimental to the environment. So if you were happily chomping on corpse in your little polluted corner of the world without contaminating our backyard and skies then we would care less about this part. But the reality is that your choices are contributing to overall environmental sickness and that impacts every aspect of our lives and it affects all of us, our children, grandchildren etc.

2. Factory farming practices tortures animals. These lovely creatures are fully developed beings with nerve endings and emotions. The facts are they feel pain.

So if omnis would first own up to these two things ^ and consider having a conversation about these issues we'd be far less agitated. I don't think all omnis are the same just as I don't think all veg. are the same. I think there are ways to buy more ethically raise meat (and probably more compassionate ways to slaughter). I also understand that in some parts of the world (and possibly even some remote areas in the US) a veg diet is impossible for some. So not all omnis are the same I see being mindful as an improvement (and I'd be willing to wager most veg. would agree). In most of the world we are lucky enough to have the choice. But unfortunately in these same places we acquire most of our meat through factory farming ---which has become brutal. So I don't know how to get around the brutal treatment and the slaughter. Perhaps omnis could consider only consuming meat grown from cells in a pertri dish? I have read that tests are being conducted to grow meat (sans central nervous system) this way, and I think this is an improvement.

So the bottom line is if you believe that pollution and torture are both bad things then you would have to also agree that without effective solutions to those 2 main problems^ a veg. diet is a better option. <---- so keeping this in mind, I believe some omnis feel guilty about these facts but instead of owning their choices or changing their habits they make comments like "veg. folks think they are better" (not so dissimilar from heavier people criticizing thinner people because they don't have the discipline and/or stick-to-it-ness to get there themselves even though it is exactly what they desire). So those omnis who criticize veg. for being "uppity" are simply projecting their own insecurities onto us to make excuses as to why they can't/won't change and to rationalize their consumption. It is an age old practice to fool oneself this way. I don't think veg. are fundamentally better than anyone else---anyone can be veg. But people with the ability to think logically do understand when given an array of options some choices are simply better and then some are worse (but worse is often easier thus it's large following). :flowerforyou:
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I watched Forks over Knives and Vegecated. thats what got me thinking. i love fruits, veggies, nuts etc. just dont like taking the time to prepare things. would love quick prep meals.

Both are very good documentaries. Earthlings is another one to watch which covers more than just the food industry.

I personally love great food and cooking so it works out well. Here's some links for vegan recipe sites:

http://www.cheapandsimpleveganrecipes.com/category/all-recipes/ --> Pretty simple recipes
    http://www.cok.net/lit/recipes/dinner.php --> Getting more adventurous
    http://www.theppk.com/category/recipe/ --> One of my favorite vegan authors!

Allrecipes.com is also another great tool. Just search "vegan ----" or use the tool to omit certain ingredients or learn what substitutes are suitable for that recipe.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yeah, many of us "omnis" are against factory farming.

"Corpse-eating" is a hilarious term, definitely makes you sound like a sane and rational person to argue with civilly. You sure have a lot of hatred, gingerveg.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    OP sorry about the rant above.^ Anyway, I have recently started to transition back to vegan from vegetarian (I've been one or the other for the past 25 years) and want to suggest an amazing cookbook that came out in October that I have been using lately: artisan vegan cheese. It is some work to make the cheeses (I have two fermenting on my counter now that I started yesterday and won't eat until tomorrow) but the results are so good! For quicker recipes try the Veganomicon or any of her other books are good, The Way it Vegan, and Moosewood cookbook. There are a lot of great blogs too like chocolatecoveredKatie, PPK, etc., but I still love the tangible quality of cookbooks :) Good luck!

ETA:

"Corpse-eating" is a hilarious term, definitely makes you sound like a sane and rational person to argue with civilly. You sure have a lot of hatred, gingerveg.
    Wow, this is harsh and quite a personal attack. What is wrong with using an accurate term? Maybe there is a cultural barrier between us but the term refers to dead animal carcass (as well as human). Meat is exactly that. So while I don't understand why you would respond like this to me, my apologies if you were offended by the term.

With that out of the way. So as an omni who is "against factory farming" what sort of solutions do you have to end it?
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Try not to humanize animals

lol. Humans are animals too.

Edit to add: If you do go vegan, just make sure you do your research and keep a varied diet. There are lots of vegan junk foods and it's easy to end up replacing meat with extra pasta or bread and miss out on essential nutrients. It may be easier to ease in and go vegetarian first.
  • LE193
    LE193 Posts: 23
    Options
    Try not to humanize animals

I was gonna try not to comment on this post about humanizing animals because so many people have done so already, but couldn't help it cos it irritated me so much. Accepting animals feel pain and thus shouldn't be killed in highly barbaric ways is not 'humanizing' them. Maybe watch a few videos for yourself and you'll *hopefully* feel differently. Furthermore many animals not only feel but are much more intelligent that they are given credit for. Thanks for your totally poinltess post.

As for the reply to the OP, I myself am not vegan but just veggie. It is too big a step for me atm for personal reasons but I have total respect for anyone who is. My brother is vegan and is by far the healthiest in the family. He does body building and eats and excellent diet without really thinking about it. My mum went vegan last summer and has lost half a stone since without even trying. Sorry my advice isn't very scientific but, based on them, I would definitely recommend the diet! Good luck!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Here we go again...:grumble:
  • ajusteen21
    ajusteen21 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    All of the vegans will support you being vegan and all the carnivores will tell you to eat meat. This would need to be a personal choice for you, but for what its worth here is my 2 cents:

I've been vegan for 8years and vegetarian for 4years before that, I made the decision on my own after watching a few documentaries and after a few years I started to understand the health aspect of it, so now I follow this lifestyle for ethical and health reasons. There is a ton of evidence that will tell you its a healthy choice and I can personally say I'm a very healthy person and would recommend giving it a shoot, but just know you will always have people telling you all kinds of things.

As far as the: "don't humanize animals" reply, humanize-ing (is that a word?) or not, all living things have feelings, I don't think you can argue that. Pigs have been proven to have a higher IQ than a dog but you don't eat dogs so personally I'm not sure how people draw the line. (not intended to be a stab at meat-eaters lets save the drama)

You seem to be interested in it, so do your research and try it out, what do you have to loose?
  • ajusteen21
    ajusteen21 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This.
  • rosiemay3
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for four years, and always used meat replacement, but felt and looked awful. I had no energy, felt faint and weak all the time and looked pale. That's just my opinion, but I will never, ever go back to it, even though I do often find the idea of eating animals a little upsetting. I think meat, and dairy products, are natural and healthy.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options

um..its an accurate term really. it IS what meat eaters are eating....
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I watched Forks over Knives and Vegecated. thats what got me thinking. i love fruits, veggies, nuts etc. just dont like taking the time to prepare things. would love quick prep meals.

Look into the Happy Herbivore. she has a blog with tons of free recipes, and 3 cookbooks. I just got the first 2 for $4.99 each on ibooks. Last night I made her chickpea marinara and had dinner on the table for my family of 5 in under 20 minutes!
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for four years, and always used meat replacement, but felt and looked awful. I had no energy, felt faint and weak all the time and looked pale. That's just my opinion, but I will never, ever go back to it, even though I do often find the idea of eating animals a little upsetting. I think meat, and dairy products, are natural and healthy.

Out of curiosity, what was the rest of your diet like? You might have a gluten/soy intolerance so using "meat replacements", which are largely gluten/soy products, as sole sources of protein, that may have been what caused you to feel so awful.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I felt tired and shakey on a vegetarian diet, and I was severely low in folic acid. My naturopath recommended that I include some meat in my diet. I feel best that way. It's too bad, though; I love animals - all animals.

Folic acid is mainly found in plants. The word 'folic' derives from the Latin word folium, which means leaf. Think foliage. Here's a standard dictionary definition: A yellowish-orange compound, C19H19N7O6, of the vitamin B complex group, occurring in green plants, fresh fruit, liver, and yeast.

I point this out to suggest that a folic acid deficiency would be a low risk for those following plant-based diets.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I dont think MFP is the best place to ask this. People on here are *kitten* when it comes to it. Try going into one of the vegan groups on here and asking. Or better yet, try it out and see for yourself.

The OP did ask if people hated the vegan diet. No one has been an *kitten* so far that I've seen, but if you want a skewed opinion on whether or not to start a vegan diet, a vegan group is definitely the place to go

Yeah, because the people who actually live by a vegan diet have a "skewed" view on things. No more a messed up view than anyone who doesn't live by it. Like I said, if OP wants to know, they should just try it out themselves and not worry about anyone else.

I want to point out that meat-eating is the default in the US. Like most dominant traits/behaviors, its skew is invisible to most people simply because it is dominant.
  • sexelby
    sexelby Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for years, and because of ethical reasons, wanting to lose weight as dairy is a MASSIVE binge trigger for me, and how dairy makes me feel sluggish and have stomach aches, I have been living mostly Vegan for the last year or two almost! Again, like the woman on the first page, odd bits of dairy do sneak in now and then, but Veganism has really helped me! I feel miles better not eating it. Just do plenty of research, find recipes that are easy and tasty, and make sure you are getting the right amounts of every food group and vitamin. This is hard at first but you'll get there. Plus, there are a lot of things you can't eat which you would think you could, and likewise there are a lot of things you'd think you couldn't eat when you can!

Basically, it is definitely worthwhile, just be cautious :):) xx
  • mitzi1235
    mitzi1235 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started eating Vegan at the end of March 2012 after watching Forks over Knives and having had to schedule a bilateral mastectomy for 1st stage of breast cancer. I was so lucky they caught it early. It is difficult eating in restaurants and no animal foods are allowed if you decide to choose vegan. This means that you eat nothing that had a mother or had eyes. That includes all the usual foods; fish, eggs, meat, milk, cheese, etc. The biggest drawback to be honest is that most restaurants are not able to cope with this although more and more are adding vegan dishes to their menus. One near me did add 2 new vegan dishes when I provided them with a menu from a Vegan restaurant in NYC. The owner said 15 years ago he never would have listened to my friend and I but he was getting so many requests from diners who are afraid to eat animal products that cause illnesses and told his wait staff that there was nothing on the menu that could be considered a complete meal.
    Mediterranean restaurants have many more; hummus, chick peas, etc. grilled vegetables, polenta, sweet potatoes, etc.
    My face has cleared up completely, my skin looks much better.
  • mitzi1235
    Options
    Holiday eating included "company eating" which included some meats and fish. Otherwise, Trader Joe's has some great Vegan frozen foods and lots to choose from.
  • mitzi1235
    Options
    I am having trouble getting enough caicum in any diet I choose. What do you eat to get enough each week.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Everyone reacts differently to different diets. I inadvertently started eating a mostly vegan diet over the past few months and I've never felt better. Money has been tight, so it's cheaper to buy beans and things than meat (for me, at least) and dairy makes me ill. The only time I eat meat is when I'm at my parents' house for dinner and after two months of not eating meat, I find red meat makes me feel sick and I've never been a huge chicken fan (and I don't eat pork - it's a religious thing!). Like I said, this was more of an inadvertent experiment on my part and since it was never dogmatic, I have no qualms at the moment about eating fish and eggs. However, I think if you plan in advance and do it properly in order to be sure you're getting all necessary nutrients, then it can potentially make a huge difference in how you feel. I don't know if it's necessarily healthier, but I definitely feel better.