best way to get into running again

Options
Hello everyone! I'm looking for some advice on ways to get back into running in a shorter time. I tried running (or should I say jogging) lastnight and only lasted for 5 minutes :( I haven't ran a long amount of time in 11 years (since I played sports in HS) and the most running I have done since then is on the softball field plus I'm carrying an extra 68 lbs since then which obviously makes it a lot harder :/ I used to be able to run forever (I was a lot faster then too) I'm open to any suggestions that anybody may have :)

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm looking for some advice on ways to get back into running in a shorter time. I tried running (or should I say jogging) lastnight and only lasted for 5 minutes :( I haven't ran a long amount of time in 11 years (since I played sports in HS) and the most running I have done since then is on the softball field plus I'm carrying an extra 68 lbs since then which obviously makes it a lot harder :/ I used to be able to run forever (I was a lot faster then too) I'm open to any suggestions that anybody may have :)

c25k
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Try intervals. Jog/run for a minute, then walk for a minute. Do this for 10 to 15 minutes after a warm up, then increase this as you get better.
  • cafeldmann
    cafeldmann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do run/walk intervals. You can start out with 1 minute run/4 minutes walk, and then gradually change the ratio of run to walk time as you get more fit.
  • Brendajo510
    Options

c25k

Agree. C25k. They even have an app for your phone.
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    C25k +1
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    as everyone else has said, c25k, or do intervals on your own until you're running longer. Just don't do too much at once as you want to avoid injury.