First ever post, and one hell of a rough realization

Options

Replies

• dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    I don't believe a few summer bbq's and a job promotion caused you to gain back 20lbs. IMO that's an excuse for gaining the 20lbs back.

I'd say you may not have actually made change to cut the weight in the first place. Example: Watch a season of the biggest loser and the first weigh in on the first episode everyone loses 10-15lbs. In the second week they all lose about 5-10lbs. If they called it success and stopped right there and went back to their way of living they would gain it back. The biggest loser doesn't stop there...they keep going for weeks. In each following episode they are TEACHING the students how to eat right and gain confidence in themselves. They are LEARNING new ways to prepare meals and change their lifestyle so when they return home they have the tools and know how to keep the weight off.

Anyone can lose 25lbs watching the inputs (diet) and working their @$$ off on the outputs (exercise)...the trick is gaining the knowledge through education to make the lifestyle change that is required to live under 200lbs. If your lifestyle is a +200lb lifestyle you're going to have a hard time getting where you want to be.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I work out on my lunch break at a gym nearby. This might work for you?

I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan...well known fact about NYC, it's EXPENSIVE. A gym near work coast 3x what my gym in my neighborhood costs, but I definitely looked into it. When the weather warms up, I'm going to go back to spending my lunch hour walking, which is what I did last year (every little bit counts, right?)

Do you have stairs in your building? If your knees are good, this is tremedous exercise; you can do it on even a short break and not even leave your building.
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi! Nutrition will get you there. Don't worry about working out for now. Small changes like pacing or doing squats during conference calls can make a big difference. You can do it!
  • cldwyer150
    Options
    Don't give up you can do this if you really want to!

I have a friend who lives in the city and runs/walks the stairs during her lunch break instead of going to a gym and she lost a bunch of weight. Best of all she encouraged a couple other people at work to join her and they push each other to keep going. Maybe you could give that a try?

Good luck!
  • blueroses1983
    blueroses1983 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Perhaps in the evening, you and your son could "work out" together? Take walks, play on the Wii or Xbox (if you have either), heck, just run around the house with him a bit. Something is better than nothing in terms of exercise.

Feel free to add me if you'd like :)

I was going to say something similar! Is there anything active you and your son can do together? It'd help you both stay healthy, and it'd be great bonding time. If you already have a Wii or Xbox like mentioned above, you can check out different games from the library for free. Some game stores will sell used gaming platforms for a lower price, too, if that's an option.

Other ideas: dance, race each other, kick a soccer ball, teach him how to catch a baseball/football, make something like a garden/birdhouse/etc., go to the local playground, see who can keep a hula hoop up the longest, let him play horsey haha

If you watch what you eat, everyday activities can add up, too. Clean your home regularly (and your car, too, if you have one). Park further away from buildings. Take stairs. Stay up 10 minutes later and get up 10 minutes earlier and use that time to do exercises that won't disturb your neighbors like squats, situps, yoga, push ups, light weight lifting, and so on.

If you're anything like me, you'll find it hard to get off to a good start if you begin with grand plans. Figure out your eating situation, then for exercise make one small change each week. You don't have to be working out hard 5+ days a week right out of the gate. Work changes into your lifestyle a little bit at a time.
  • Shoewhr
    Shoewhr Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't know if its possible where you work, but on my long nights in the office, I take a workout DVD with me and do it in one of the conference rooms. I realized that if I don't do it before I leave then I'd never get it in once I got home.

Also if telecommuting is possible, work from home on your workout days.

Finally, if you have pics of yourself at your goal weight start hanging them up around the house to help motivate you. Sometimes pics of yourself at your highest weight can motivate too.......reminds you of where you don't want to get back to.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is your first step. Everyone will give you advice on when to work out and how to schedule stuff in. You already know all that stuff.

You got distracted by life, as we all do.
    You are here now. You are recommitting. That is what matters today.

So take it one day at a time, do the best you can each day, and use the resources here as much as you can. If you can work out in the morning or during the day - awesome. If you only get time on weekends, that's ok - make it count!

You know the mommy/food issues - good things in the house, don't eat the kids' leftovers.

I love your comment about not remembering any bowl of ice cream or burger yet you remember how painful it is to see 200 on the scale. That is a powerful realization.

Weight loss is rarely a one-shot-deal. So you need to work harder right now to get back on track. You can do it.
  • raeart1
    Options
    I completely understand! I am working my way backwards...from a weight that I swore I would never see again...I had also worked so hard and then...well...I slipped and here I am...starting over again!Good Luck with everything, it is obvious you have the determination! Let's support each other!
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I joined MPF in March 2011 and lost 14 lbs. I then started working with a trainer inconjunction with MPF and lost a total of 85 lbs. I then went to Mardi Gras in March 2012, had my 45 birthday, got divorced and met a new man. Fell off the dieting/exercise wagon and have gained 20 lbs of that weight back. I am now trying Weight Watchers and trying to get back on track. I am a working full time Mom with a daughter too so I know how hard it is to workout, that is why when I was working with my trainer, I did it on my lunch hour. It made the workout shorter (45 minutes only) but 45 minutes was better than nothing. Maybe you could try working out at lunch?
  • jasper4848
    jasper4848 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of working out at lunch. It puts you into a fast pace gotta get it done mode so you get back to work. Do weights for 30 fast minutes will give you the cardio and the muscle workout you need. Since I sweat and mess up my hair, I just use a quick blow dryer to get it back in place, some deoderant, and I am right back at it. The kewl thing, no kids around, no food and I am not too tired yet from my day!
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Can you probably try getting in some exercies at home? before or after work.... there a many cheap dvds you can purchas... 30 day shred etc... but dont be descouraged. And unfortunately as much determiniation and dedication, losing weight does not come maturally to many of us as much as we want it, so we have to retairn our minds and our bodies.... so keept at it and you be back to where you used to be in no time, and even lower. All the best :)
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey lady!

First of all, you have done it before and you can do it again! That being said, I am a firm believer in Yoga as being the best and most wonderful workout ever! Granted I love the gym and running but Yoga is the best for busy lifestyles because it challenges you and lets you use your own body weight to get results so you can do it in the comfort of your own home! Yoga is an amazing way to workout at home and it won't bother your neighbors because your not jumping or running around, your super quiet! Here are a few of the home DVDs that I love and really work up a sweat:

- Intro to CorePower Yoga with Trevor Trice
    - Yogs Body Sculpt with Bethany Lyons
    - Aim True Yoga with Kathryn Budig
    - Power Yoga with Kristin McGee
    - Yoga Body Burn with Denise Austin
    - 10 Minute Solution Yoga with Lara Hudson
    - Yoga Meltdown with Jillian Michaels
    - The Biggest Loser Weightloss Yoga with Bob Harper

Now, in terms of calories burned MFPs exercise options arent the best for yoga that is more intense, which is called power or vinyasa yoga so I created my own exercise option for it. I entitled it Power Yoga and I used self.com calorie calculator to help me figure out how many calories I burn, here's the link: http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/yoga. It's extremely accurate! MFPs yoga exercise option is good for the cool down parts of the workouts so I always pay close attention to the time and how long I'm doing more intense work and then how long the cool down is and factor both in that way to get as close to my true calories burned as possible.

Feel free to add me if you like! Message me if you have any questions! Best of luck!

~ Lexi :)
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    walk on your lunch hour and get Wii Dance!! So much fun to do with the kids and a great cardio workout to great music. Your original post brought tears to my eyes as I feel your discouragement. Don't give up. Just do it and keep your goals in mind. That's what I'm trying to do every single day.
    Thank you :)
  • willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try the local YMCA? They have a childcare section at my Y where they look after the kids while you workout. The Y is not so expensive as other gyms, if that would help. But main thing here, don't beat yourself up. You're here, you're trying and good luck!
  • Unikename
    Unikename Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a rebounder for exercise in the morning? I have a Bellicon and it is very quiet. I was surprised at the quality of the workout that I get. There was a DVD included and the beginner 20 minute workout wore me out at first. The plus for me is no joint pain afterwards, particularly in the knees. I thought it was expensive and I was concerned. My husband is an engineer so I had him look at the various makes and models online. He thought this one was well made and most likely of all of them to be quiet. After I received it and saw quality of the rebounder, I was relieved. I got one with the retractable legs so it is easy to store in my closet. Best money I ever spent on exercise equipment. No, I have no financial interest in the company, just wanted to offer possible solution to noise issue. I was looking for something quiet, easy to store and easy on the joints. This was it for me.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing yoga? You could do it at home and its quiet, not the best calorie burn but its better than nothing at all, plus it makes your body feel great!
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my story, too! Except, I don't have any kids. A couple of years ago I made it from 210 to 167 and was SO happy and motivated and on my way! I don't even remember what got me off track, but suddenly there was more (WAY more) stress at work, doughnuts being brought into the office from the new shop across the street (worst luck ever!), and my husband started having debilitating anxiety attacks which put me in the position of caregiver with no time for myself and also put stress on my job, which I ended up leaving. I've noticed that my wedding ring doesn't fit as well as it used to (in fact, it hurts sometimes) and I had to give in and go up a size in jeans, and at my annual exam in November, I weighed in at 203 with clothes on. How did I let that happen? How could I waste all of that time and effort I put in before? I just keep telling myself that what's done is done, and now it's up to me to pull myself up and keep moving forward. Don't beat yourself up -- just use it as a pep talk to get motivated and moving, and find out what works best for you, exercise-wise. And if you're looking for a friend, you're welcome to add me. :smile:
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    it's 80% diet. I have lost 10 lbs just by eating better.. I went to a nutrionist, maybe you should talk to one and see what bad habits you have etc.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I work out on my lunch break at a gym nearby. This might work for you?

I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan...well known fact about NYC, it's EXPENSIVE. A gym near work coast 3x what my gym in my neighborhood costs, but I definitely looked into it. When the weather warms up, I'm going to go back to spending my lunch hour walking, which is what I did last year (every little bit counts, right?)

I've been to New York - it's a great place for just walking around! But yeah, a bit cold for that in the winter. When I first started losing weight, I couldn't exercise as I had an ankle injury. I did it by eating about 1450 calories a day. It was very slow at first and quite frustrating. I did get physio in about August/September and got back to running, which helped me get rid of the last few pounds and keep it off since then. But just to say, don't worry too much that you can't exercise at the moment, just concentrate on eating less - but not so much less that you're losing muscle. Slow and steady!

Just taking your son to the park on the weekends will also help once the weather is better - pushing him on the swings would be great exercise. Try and be creative about making exercise opportunities that involve him. You can do it.
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    Hey there. First, as others have said, don't get down on yourself!!!! We all have ups, downs, and plateaus. Learn what you can from it and move forward. As far as exercise goes, there is no need for a gym. I work out on my own at home and am in far better shape now than I ever was wen I went to a gym. There are tons of exercises that you can do at home that will give you an amazing workout. And, more importantly, there are routines out there that will KICK YOUR @SS in 15 minutes! Do a google search on HIIT and you will see tons of stuff. One site you may want to check out is bodyrock.tv. That site actually has daily workouts that are quick and effective. One thing I always personally do if I am really crunched for time, is to do as many burpees as I can in 10 minutes. Trust me, if you go all out as hard as you can, 10 minutes will be plenty. Also, from personal experience, I can tell you that little kids LOVE doing burpees with you!!!! You may also want to Google "tabata training".