Zumba - how to count it

Options
I can't believe Zumba isn't a listed exercise? Am I just not finding it somehow? If you do Zumba, how do you count it? Right now I have it listed as Aerobic - dance, fast.

Thanks

Replies

• LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

I found this but no idea how accurate it is. I'm sure some people wear a HRM.
  • rlmn
    rlmn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

This is what I used before I had a HRM. And you have to create your own exercise, silly that it's not in the database but oh well. That site told me high intensity was 600+ and medium intensity was upper 500's. So after every Zumba class I use to log just 600, as a middle between the two. But now that I have a HRM I know that I burn between upper 700's - upper 800's. Last class was intense and I burned 1,1018!!!! Never burned that much before! Of course everyone is different, it depends on your weight, your endurance, the class intensity, etc. but I would really suggest investing in a HRM, it's more accurate!
  • karebear26
    karebear26 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    what is an HRM?
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options

This is what I used before I had a HRM. And you have to create your own exercise, silly that it's not in the database but oh well. That site told me high intensity was 600+ and medium intensity was upper 500's. So after every Zumba class I use to log just 600, as a middle between the two. But now that I have a HRM I know that I burn between upper 700's - upper 800's. Last class was intense and I burned 1,1018!!!! Never burned that much before! Of course everyone is different, it depends on your weight, your endurance, the class intensity, etc. but I would really suggest investing in a HRM, it's more accurate!

^^^^^ This
  • tyedyechick0930
    tyedyechick0930 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    what is an HRM?

I know HRM is short for Heart Rate Monitor. I'm trying to look into the fitbit or body media band.
  • leblanc_kelly88
    leblanc_kelly88 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    what is an HRM?

I know HRM is short for Heart Rate Monitor. I'm trying to look into the fitbit or body media band.

I have the fit bit....even though it doesnt measure your heart rate and what not i find it to be fairly accurate. Im doing the 30day shred and compared my calorie total burned on my fit bit to someone who wore a hrm and they were fairly close! I like the fitbit because you dont need a subscription to keep up with it. I am looking into a HRM watch tho! GL to you!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM, it's super easy to use and wasn't that expensive.
  • peejay34mason
    peejay34mason Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly a HRM is the only way to go if you want to ACCURATELY measure your burns. MFP is generic in their calculations men and women burn very differently not to mention your fitness level and every other aspect of your overall make up factor in. If you are committed to making this a lifestyle change you will need to take the plunge and invest in one. I does not need to be a top of the line model by any means. More HRMs have more functionality that most people use. Keep it simple but do it right!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    the Zumba calorie counter always over estimated my calories burned.. it would say I burned way more than my HRM does and I jump around and sweat like a pig...
  • beccajophotos
    Options
    I just posted that I was doing "step ups vigorous"
    Sounds ridiculous but its the only thing that came close to the calories that I burn in an hour!