Sportline HRM issues, please help

Options
I received a Sportline 660 hrm as a gift and it's got a mind of it's own I swear. It has great reviews but I can't figure out why my calories are so off...I know they are off because I have calculated them through other websites and it's more than half sometimes. I know hrm aren't 100% but i need it to be closer than it is. Any one else having the same issue?

Replies

• AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I also had a really high reading with my Sportline. I decided to invest in a Polar FT7. BEST decision. Cake to set up and use and the burns I believe are way more accurate.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    How do you know the calories are off? Don't go based on websites for calories burned.

Does the HRM allow you to input your sex, age, weight and height?
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Actually, unless it's malfunctioning, your HRM is going to be much more accurate than numbers you find online. How many calories you burn depends on your gender, age, height, weight, effort and metabolism. There is no way a website can figure in those factors for everyone, so it comes up with an average. You should have programed the first four into your HRM (I'm assuming, I have a Polar), then it uses your heart rate to calculate your effort and figure,as best it can, what YOU are burning.

For example, a website might say that biking for 30 minutes burns 250 calories (pulling that number out of nowhere, it's just an example). But someone who slowly and casually cycles down a smooth, flat path won't burn nearly as many calories as someone going full speed up and down hills. And that's only focusing on the effort part of it.
  • mistimn
    mistimn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    How do you know the calories are off? Don't go based on websites for calories burned.

Does the HRM allow you to input your sex, age, weight and height?

I have all my info programmed to the hrm, and there is a calculation to determine approximate calories burned. Like today I worked out harder than yesterday and my hrm is saying I burned less...no way
  • mistimn
    mistimn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Actually, unless it's malfunctioning, your HRM is going to be much more accurate than numbers you find online. How many calories you burn depends on your gender, age, height, weight, effort and metabolism. There is no way a website can figure in those factors for everyone, so it comes up with an average. You should have programed the first four into your HRM (I'm assuming, I have a Polar), then it uses your heart rate to calculate your effort and figure,as best it can, what YOU are burning.

For example, a website might say that biking for 30 minutes burns 250 calories (pulling that number out of nowhere, it's just an example). But someone who slowly and casually cycles down a smooth, flat path won't burn nearly as many calories as someone going full speed up and down hills. And that's only focusing on the effort part of it.

I agree 100% however today I did level 2- 30 day shred and my hrm says I burned 126 calories for 27 minutes! I don't think it's right.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Try doing the same exercise tomorrow and see what it says. Work at the same intensity.

We usually burn less calories than we think we do.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree 100% however today I did level 2- 30 day shred and my hrm says I burned 126 calories for 27 minutes! I don't think it's right.

Actually, it could be. I'm not familiar with 30 day shred, is it more cardio or weight lifting? How high is your heart rate while you are doing it? If your profile pic is you, you look like you are pretty thin. If that's the case, you're going to burn calories at a lower rate than someone who is heavier.

As a reference, I'm female, 5'5", 32yo and about 170lbs. I take a group fitness class that's weight lifting with enough cardio to keep our heart rates up. It's actually pretty intense. It's an hour long and I typically burn about 450 calories. Half of that would be 225. And, like I said, it's a pretty intense class and, if that is you in your pic, I probably weigh quite a bit more than you.
  • Onemoodycuss
    Onemoodycuss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues with two Sportline hrms. My wife has one, as well, and I tried it just to compare. The three hrms with the same user info inputted gave three completely different readings for the same exercise. I just got a polar ft4 and according to that I haven't been burning half, sometimes a quarter of the calories the sportline said I was. I'm not sure which to trust. I go into my workouts with enthusiasm and much intensity and come out of it drenched in sweat, so I'm having trouble believing I'm only burning what the ft4 says. But then I obviously didn't believe the sportline. Anyone with advice, please message me.