I've been starving myself!

Options

Replies

• Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't think her body went into "starvation mode" but I also don't think she was overestimating. Bodies are complicated things, although I don't think we are really all that different physiologically (unless you have a thyroid issue or leptin problem etc etc). I'm betting that due to long-term dieting (you said this wasn't your first time round), you've probably lost a lot of muscle mass. This makes your metabolic rate slow quite a bit, as does age and various other factors. Also, if your diet was causing you so much stress, the amount of cortisol that produces also impacts how you store and use fat. There are SOOOOO many possible factors that it's not even worth arguing about. The important thing is that you're feeling better and your diet is working for you. Now go on and get those muscles working! Pick up some heavy things and put them down again and get your metabolism back into shape! :)
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I went through a similar issue as well. My metabolism isn't slow, but when I restrict calories, its like my body immediately goes into starvation mode and starts to store calories rather than using them. When I eat between 1600 and 1800 calories a day, I personally feel that my body utilizes the energy much better and I feel better. Despite being a shorty, I'm under five feet, I eat a lot of calories in a day. Over the summer, after finding out I had celiac's, I lost almost 30 pounds and I was eating up to 2000 calories a day. I was also much more active as well.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Eating below your brm isn't good. 1200 was definitely not enough for me and I'm 5'1. I cut my calories very low and am suffering for it (side effects of being deficient in nutrients - mostly protein).

The most surprising thing is I'm losing more steadily now that I'm eating at 1600 calories versus the 1200 cals and less. Not only that, I have a bunch more energy, my mood is more stable, and I can exercise for longer periods of time with lots more intensity :)
  • fayemoby
    fayemoby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is being a bit silly but im new on here - what is TDEE?? And can anyone recomend a good site for working out how many calories to start on please?
    Thanks x
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Sorry if this is being a bit silly but im new on here - what is TDEE?? And can anyone recomend a good site for working out how many calories to start on please?
    Thanks x

TDEE - is total daily energy expenditure.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Joylia = great.

OP, congratulations and welcome!! I think you've found the right formula. I'm so sorry to hear about your wasted year . . . I've got a friend who is a personal trainer and scientist. Despite the odd naysaying in this thread, what you are empirically seeing actually is happening, because there is a relationship that exists between the calories you consume and the energy you burn. It *is* possible not to lose weight at 1200 calories because your body can function impaired and suboptimally on less than target calories.

Anyway read this pls! :-) http://nbsfit.com/nutrition/weight-loss-isnt-always-about-eating-less-and-exercising-more/

Excerpt:
    "Everybody screws up once in a while and sometimes it takes a while to realize there was a screw up. It took me almost four years to realize that I was making the same mistake every day. Every freaking day. I was starving myself.

I wasn’t not eating, but I was eating 1200 to 1400 calories per day and that just isn’t enough for me. I am only 5’2″, so I don’t need a ton of calories, but I am a personal trainer who moves almost all day, every day and I do need to eat enough to fuel that activity. "
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wasn't losing a single pound at 1200. Went to 1550-1700 - lose 3 pounds in two days!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Its GREAT that you found the right number! It doesn't work for everyone...me included. At 1250-1300 cals a day (without exercise) I am not starving and feel good. Continued success!
  • haywire70
    haywire70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5' 1" so my number is around 1200-1300 to lose 1 pound a week according to MFP. That's really hard to do with real food! That only allows one decent meal and then basically snacking the rest of the day. It's unrealistic. I lost 20 pounds doing that last year but I felt horrible and I also plateaued. I feel much healthier eating around 1400-1500 calories a day and working off a couple hundred of those with exercise. Staying around 1350 net calories seems to be my magic number.

Really it matters more what those calories are rather than just the number. Sure I could eat 1400 calories of junk food and not lose much weight but if I'm eating 1400 calories of healthier foods, I will. But yep, everyone is different!
  • BethTaylor93
    BethTaylor93 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You may nopt be eating enough. You actually need to eat to lose weight. Took me a long time to wrap my head around that. Eat clean.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand the "starvation" thing at all! All I know is that on the show "SURVIVOR" where everyone is hardly eating, they ALL lose a lot of weight! I don't mean to offend anyone, but I find it hard to believe that anyone eating less calories for an extended amount of time would not lose ANY weight. If I am not absolutely sure of the calorie count, I always err on the side of "over calculating". This way, if I'm wrong, I can still be within my alloted calories.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I really don't understand the "starvation" thing at all! All I know is that on the show "SURVIVOR" where everyone is hardly eating, they ALL lose a lot of weight! I don't mean to offend anyone, but I find it hard to believe that anyone eating less calories for an extended amount of time would not lose ANY weight. If I am not absolutely sure of the calorie count, I always err on the side of "over calculating". This way, if I'm wrong, I can still be within my alloted calories.

Comparing reality tv to real life...not quite the way to go...just saying.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing. 1200 calories for years with no results. Learned on MFP that I was indeed not eating enough...have upped my calories to 1600 and have started losing.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

OP said she is losing now at higher calories and spent a year tracking at 1200 with no loss. So either she's lying . . . or she's not.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Reality TV has nothing to do with it. The fact is, they film that show over a period of months, and you can SEE people losing weight. I'm sure a lot of stuff is fake on those shows, but the weight loss is REAL. Just sayin.....
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Reality TV has nothing to do with it. The fact is, they film that show over a period of months, and you can SEE people losing weight. I'm sure a lot of stuff is fake on those shows, but the weight loss is REAL. Just sayin.....

Ummmm....okay....you do know that they cut footage etc. So, it may seem they aren't eating a lot, but I bet they are.

I'm assuming we are talking about that on the island whatever thing that people do with challenges from way back when? i don't watch reality tv...so not sure if there is some new show with the same name.

ETA - Personal preference though..if I'm going to back my weight loss opinions on something, I'd rather not do it on a reality tv show anyways.
  • Candy1629
    Candy1629 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

OP said she is losing now at higher calories and spent a year tracking at 1200 with no loss. So either she's lying . . . or she's not.

Not necessarily lying but perhaps miscalculating.

Or are you suggesting that one can

a. eat below TDEE for 12 months without losing
    b. eat above TDEE for one month and lose
    c. or that the amount at which we neigher lose nor gain weight is not our TDEE?

Because one of those statements would have to be true if something wasn't miscalculated.

edit: typo
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Joylia = great.

OP, congratulations and welcome!! I think you've found the right formula. I'm so sorry to hear about your wasted year . . . I've got a friend who is a personal trainer and scientist. Despite the odd naysaying in this thread, what you are empirically seeing actually is happening, because there is a relationship that exists between the calories you consume and the energy you burn. It *is* possible not to lose weight at 1200 calories because your body can function impaired and suboptimally on less than target calories.

Anyway read this pls! :-) http://nbsfit.com/nutrition/weight-loss-isnt-always-about-eating-less-and-exercising-more/

Excerpt:
    "Everybody screws up once in a while and sometimes it takes a while to realize there was a screw up. It took me almost four years to realize that I was making the same mistake every day. Every freaking day. I was starving myself.

I wasn’t not eating, but I was eating 1200 to 1400 calories per day and that just isn’t enough for me. I am only 5’2″, so I don’t need a ton of calories, but I am a personal trainer who moves almost all day, every day and I do need to eat enough to fuel that activity. "

Thank you for sharing that article! I can absolutely relate to it. And thank you very much for the encouragement. I find it strange that someone already seems bent on labeling me as (essentially) a liar. Again, I certainly wasn't perfect when trying to stick to that 1200. But I really do feel much BETTER now that I've increased my intake!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day, and no weight loss period. I just can't see that. I think you may have another issue, medical or something.

I understand that some people need to eat more to lose weight more efficiently, but to not lose anything.

There is something more to this. I could see if you drop some weight, but stopped losing. I would suggest talking to your doctor.