Primal Blueprint

Options
Anyone read this book or incorporating this eating theory into their diet?

I'm reading the book now, that I bought for my husband, and seems to make a whole bunch of sense!! It's funny how conditioned we are to think by eating all low or no carb/low fat diets will get us healthy, strong and fit. This man is a machine and doesn't workout as crazy as I do sometimes.

Just curious if anyone has read much on it. Seems similar to Rosedale Diet and I enjoyed that read.

Replies

• roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later. Sounds interesting!
  • JessicaFB
    JessicaFB Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just got the book too. I started to read it last night. I will share my thoughts the further along I get. From my perspective so far, it is not low carb, but no grain. We can acquire a lot of carbohydrate and fiber from fruits and vegetables, from what I understand.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten the book yet but have read most of what he has posted on mark's daily apple. I have incorporated some of his ideas but I still eat potatoes sparingly and beans but I'm not giving up dairy. That will be my 20% adherence. There are several others here who have incorporated and are seeing great success.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Mark's site. I don't eat gluten - use tubers and the occasional serving of rice, black beans, garbanzos, or quinoa for a carb re-feed. I still eat dairy, not giving that up.
  • luv2run4fun
    Options
    I just read Mark's webpage for the book...sounds like an excellent theory! Would like to read the book now. I would like to see how it would affect my chronic seasonal allergies! A good time to give it a try now because it's Spring allergy season for me!!! Thanks for sharing, girlfriend!!!! :wink:
  • taryn_perry
    taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've started to incorporate the concept, although still learning what that entire concept is. I think I can do about 80%, as I do enjoy some dairy (1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee) and some grains, although will mostly look to fruits/veggies for that.

I don't like to track calories, and seems like if you eat as he suggests with the right fats, proteins and carbs, you don't need to!! YIPPEE!
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    Did you see on Mark's Daily Apple that a Primal Blueprint Cookbook is coming out in a few weeks? I can't wait!!
  • taryn_perry
    Options
    Yippee!!! I can't wait. I need someone to tell me what to make! :)
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've just had a look at the site. Don't know what to think yet, but I've signed up for the newsletters.
    How is everyone else getting on with the Blueprint idea. Is it working for you?
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    It sounds a lot like the Paleo diet which I have been very interested in doing. Staying away from grains and only eating what we are naturally supposed to eat. Food from the earth.
    http://thepaleodiet.com/paleo_books/ or FAQs http://thepaleodiet.com/faqs/#Basics
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    There are similarities to Loren Cordain's paleo approach, but MDA advocates for fattier cuts of meat and more dietary fat in general.
  • lvfunandfit
    Options
    There are similarities to Loren Cordain's paleo approach, but MDA advocates for fattier cuts of meat and more dietary fat in general.

Thanks!

have you tried either program?
  • Barneystinson
    Options

Thanks!

have you tried either program?

I've been dabbling with the Primal Blueprint for some time. I was introduced to Mark's site in the latter part of 2009. I had initial success (lost 10 pounds, felt fantastic), fell off the wagon so to speak in the beginning of the year, gained that weight back, and now that I'm back in the swing of things I'm feeling much better. I still have cheats here and there (like my dinner tonight) but they're growing less and less. It's rough at first when you reduce carbohydrates, but it gets easier. I find the best thing the PB advocates is eating natural, whole foods. Not low carb Frankenfood. Just good, tasty stuff that keeps you full.

The PB is...how do I say it...a taboo topic around MFP. People 'round these parts find the grain avoidance and fearlessness of fats to be a little nuts. I used to post here a while back and got so disgusted I deleted my account. Stupid thing to do - I had no idea logging food kept me so honest and actually assisted my progress.

It's honestly refreshing to see some others looking into Mark's site and the PB. It may inject a little hope into the MFP forums ;)
  • taryn_perry
    Options
    I'm about week 1 through dabbling with the PB "way of life" and I feel great. I'm doing it along side of P90X, which is my 4th round and it's helping tremendously. It's a bit of getting used to, but if I can hang with 80% of it, then I'm content. I don't think I'll conform 110%, but I'm happy with the 80%.

I'll continue to post my experience, as many of my P90X friends and nutrition junkies are also experimenting as well. If anyone has tips or success stories, then let 'em rip!

Oh, and I can see why people would rip it, but, to those that don't care to learn about other options and at least educate themselves, are doing themselves a misfortune, as the intake of all the grain driven carbs, could be the result of their problem.
  • JessicaFB
    Options
    This last week I have been incorporating the PB into my life. I've been following it for 80-90%. I was worried that I would be wiped out by the lack of grains, but that hasn't been the case at all. I'm MORE energized! Yesterday, I ran faster than I have in weeks.

I found a website called This Primal Life that has many delicious recipes. MDA is also very good. So far I have made coconut bread, energy bars, almond butter pumpkin brownies, apple cardamom popovers, and chicken coconut curry. They have all been very filling and satisfying. This morning, I created french toast with the coconut bread (it's a bit dry). These fun recipes combined with lots of fruits, veggies, some dairy, chicken, fish, nuts and dried fruit are enough to keep me going.

I know an ultra-marathoner who has followed the Paleo lifestyle since the fall of 2009. This girl runs up to 100 miles at a time! I am meeting up with her to hear how she fuels before and during her runs. I will be running some marathons in the near future, and I hope to have the fueling right.

Thanks for starting this thread, Taryn. It's nice to know there is support out there.
  • taryn_perry
    Options
    Had to share this AWESOME recipe that I made tonight for our dinner guests:

http://thisprimallife.com/2009/09/primal-carrot-cake-with-coconut-and-walnuts-recipe/comment-page-1/#comment-487

They LOVED it. Didn't know it was Primal, until I told them later. I will forewarn, the bananas really keep it moist, so 2.5 ripe bananas might be plenty!!!

Enjoy. I will report as I try more. Like Jessica, I've tried the energy bars and pumpkin brownies. So far loving it all..including the restored energy and lack of bloat.
  • lvfunandfit
    Options
    I am really interested and would like to give PB or the Paleo diet a try. =) Thanks for all of the info!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I have used the flax muffin recipe from Linda's low carb and in tasted like carrot cake also. Will have to try this to once i get my hands on some coconut flour.
    Had to share this AWESOME recipe that I made tonight for our dinner guests:

http://thisprimallife.com/2009/09/primal-carrot-cake-with-coconut-and-walnuts-recipe/comment-page-1/#comment-487

They LOVED it. Didn't know it was Primal, until I told them later. I will forewarn, the bananas really keep it moist, so 2.5 ripe bananas might be plenty!!!

Enjoy. I will report as I try more. Like Jessica, I've tried the energy bars and pumpkin brownies. So far loving it all..including the restored energy and lack of bloat.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    As an aside, the Primal Blueprint cookbook is available for pre-order on MDA!
  • taryn_perry
    Options
    As an aside, the Primal Blueprint cookbook is available for pre-order on MDA!

Oh yeah baby! Already got mine on order! Too bad it doesn't ship until mid-May.