Took sooo long! (Long post)

Options
I don't understand what took me sooooo long for this to finally really click in my head! I have been on this site for 9 months and in that time could have very well been past my goal weight and fitness goal and would have been loving life along with loving my body once again. If I had started eating well and exercising like I am now I wouldn't have added another 5-7 pounds thus making it even more weight that I have to work my butt off (literally) to get off!

Now, I find myself thinking about exercising... not contemplating doing it but thinking about what exactly I am going to do and when I am going to fit into my day and I'll be damned if I don't! I had 5 extra minutes yesterday before I had to leave the house so I spent that time on my elliptical... that's so foreign to me!!!I don't even want to take a "true" rest day of not really exercising at all. I think I will just walk that way I don't fall out of a routine (it's that easy for me unfortunately).

There is one thing that I have yet to conquer though and that is the total intimidating feeling of the gym. I don't like doing cardio there because I can't watch the TV shows that I want and that is what keeos me occupied while going so before I know it 30 minutes are gona as opposed to couting every single second! I WANT TO LIFT WEIGHTS!!!! I want to get to the point where I can walk in the gym, go to the weight bench, free weights, etc and not feel like a total inexperienced idiot. I doubt other people would view me that way but I feel that way and don't know how to stop that feeling and just make it click that I'm doing this for me and screw everyone else. In every other aspect of my life I could care less what other people think of me. I know I'm beautiful, I'm smart, I have wonderful things going for me so if you don't like it, I don't need you. But the gym.... it isn't that easy and I don't know why. My boyfriend has a degree in exercise science, is in good shape and would take me with him and lift with me, showing me what to do and all I could do was laugh because I felt stupid. I don't know if I sould even attempt to do it without him (I haven't even tried).

When I weighed this morning I was 157 pounds from 164... roughly 7 pounds lost... My goal weight (as of now) is 140. I only have 17 pounds to go to where I was sooooo confident and looked awesome before, all my clothes fit, self esteem was thru the roof everything BUT I want to be much more toned than I was. I wasn't chunky but still squishy with a little bit of muscle tone. I know it will make such a huge difference in the transformation of my body and I will feel much better about myself but I have to get into the gym to do this!!

I love exercising now!! I crave it! I'm soooo soooo excited to see more weight come off and know that I did it the right way. Not just because of some exercise and TONS of stress. I am listening to my body and it was starting to repay me I feel. I was so out of love with myself just a week ago and that was what made me really put my head into this. I need to love myself before anything else good can happen in my life. If I don't love myself, everything around me falls apart. I have seen and made it happen before. I need to get my sexy back and I am well on my way! I think my mind has finally gotten there, now my body just needs to catch up! (Having my really awesome tan that I have now REALLY REALLY helped!)

I am really sorry for the rambling and thank you to anyone who read this but I have really reached something new in myself that really wants this.. finally!!!

Any ideas on how to get over the feeling retarded and just get my butt in the gym and onto the weight benchs, etc?? Maybe start out getting confortable being there on the machines? I don't know but I do KNOW that I need to do it.

Thanks everyone... this site truly is a God send.

Replies

• SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Very proud of you!!!
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    First off congrats on all your losses and changes!

Second, I know you're "pain" about the gym. I hate it. Mostly because TOO many people and I like to do cardio more than the 20 minutes it tells you to be on (treadmills, elliptical, etc). I also understand the "people looking at me" thinking. I think the best thing to do is have a partner go with you. Boyfriend or friend, it helps - and it helps time go by sometimes. But until you hit your comfort zone, a pal is a great thing to have. Also, seems your boyfriend could help educate you on some of the equipment out there. I know I get a little intimidated on some of those machines! They look scary!

Eventually you will hit your confidence and be able to go alone. Either way, home, outside walks, or gym, keep smiling! You have done AWESOME!! And be proud! :flowerforyou:
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options
    honey! Way to go, you are doing a fantastic job so far! Keep it up. Seriously, ask your boyfriend for advise and for help. Go to they gym with him, ask him to show you how to lift properly, so you don't hurt yourself and become discouraged. Remember, one step at a time and you have that bonus of having a boyfriend who is fit and able to help you!. Lucky girl

Go for it!!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your success so far! Being healthy and feeling strong truly does change your life and attitude towards life.
    As for the gym, here are some suggestions off the top of my head:
    -Get a personal training session. Some places even offer the first one for free.
    -Ask a friend who is more experienced to go with you to the gym and together create a routine that you can follow.
    - Look up weight lifting routines online. Some sites even have videos that you can watch to demontrate exactly how to lift.

Hope this helps a little bit! A combination of cardio and strength training makes for the best results, so keep at it and good luck! You're already doing great!:drinker:
  • SLMcKnight
    Options
    Hey, just thought i'd share my opinion and tell ya that i didn't really like lifting weights for the same reason. i bought some dumbbells and do it at home ... cuz i also have the fear of what people think.
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    By the way, NO ONE IS JUDGING YOU when they see you lift weights. When I go to the gym and see overweight or inexperienced people working out at the gym all I think is, "good for them for trying to get healthy and lose the weight." I think most people in a gym atmosphere are rooting for each other. Good luck in your journey and congrats on how far you've already come!
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    when i got back into the gym routine in january i went through a basic weight training session - not because i don't know how to use the equipment, but because i have been out of the loop for so long that i needed to do it as a confidence builder to get back into it. i've worked with personal trainers before and all that jazz, but the most important thing the trainer said to me during this refresher session was dont worry about what you look like using the equipment - no one is looking at you, they are all focused on their own work outs - and i think he was right. since then i go into the gym and use the equipment without feeling self concious or that feeling of people are watching me - and if they are watching me i dont care, maybe they'll get some tips!!! if your boyfriend is offering to take you i would go, even if it is just once to get accoustomed to the equipment and a routine. i know i prefer to work out alone rather than with a partner - i feel more focused alone. good luck and congrats on the success so far!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    PLEASE make an effort to get back to lifting weights. You will enjoy such a better quality of life if you can overcome that fear.

I love this site for women's weight lifting, from newbies to pros: stumptuous.com.

Good luck and remember: Don't fear the free weights!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Just a little thought - the things that scare us the most are also the things we feel the BEST about overcoming!!!! So, if you have a fair amount of anxiety about going to the gym and finding your comfort zone, it's almost guaranteed that once you break through it, you'll feel SO AWESOME - and SO PROUD OF YOURSELF.

I don't know if that's true for everyone, but it certainly rings true for times in my life - the things I worried about/ feared the most had the greatest, longest lasting payoffs once I was able to break through the barrier. I'll be rooting for you - you're well on your way!!!!
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much!! I think I need to just go in with some blinders on and just do it and say screw it. Those people don't know me, and I have made it this far without them if they make fun and then in a few months when Im smokin and lifting like a seasoned pro they will wish they knew me lol. But really... Thank you!

The bf is a butt and goes to work as soon as I get off so we can't really go together but I feel more self conscious around him anyways while working out. He already sees my jiggle enough let alone jumping around and stuff.

I need to suck it up and just do it!!!! Like Nike ha ha
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!