Weight lifting for weight loss.

Options
I know, I know. Body fat% is what I should be paying attention to.
The question I have is being at the weight of 215 lbs I have
a lot of fat to lose, will I see results with just heavy lifting or
should I do a combo of cardio and lifting?

Also, do you notice that losing weight/body fat results come
at about the same rate as cardio alone?

I'm looking into StrongLifts 5x5 right now and I've heard of
The new Lifting Rules for Women. Any recommendation on
preference?

Thanks!

Replies

• Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Clover: I was going to start a thread of my own on a related topic, so hope you don't mind if I tack on an additional question with yours........ how do you figure out what kind of calories you are burning during a weightlifting session? I sweat more during that workout than I do on treadmill, but not sure how to figure what I'm burning (hence, what I should be eating back).
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn at rest. so building muscle is great for weight loss. Just dont get discouraged if you don't see a drop on the scale right away.

unless you're trying to get bulky, i would recommend lower weights higher reps.

also , unless you have a heart rate monitor, you really cant "estimate" how many calories your burn by weight lifting because each person will put in a different amount of effort.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Clover: I was going to start a thread of my own on a related topic, so hope you don't mind if I tack on an additional question with yours........ how do you figure out what kind of calories you are burning during a weightlifting session? I sweat more during that workout than I do on treadmill, but not sure how to figure what I'm burning (hence, what I should be eating back).

Teamwork! Haha.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    the more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn at rest. so building muscle is great for weight loss. Just dont get discouraged if you don't see a drop on the scale right away.

also , unless you have a heart rate monitor, you really cant "estimate" how many calories your burn by weight lifting because each person will put in a different amount of effort.

No, go for high weight, low reps. You won't get bulky unless you are eating at a calorie surplus..... man, this myth won't die!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    lift and create a calorie deficit. whether the deficit comes from just diet or diet+cardio is up to you.
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    lift and create a calorie deficit. whether the deficit comes from just diet or diet+cardio is up to you.

Okay, thanks!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You WILL NOT get bulky from lifting heavy weights!!!!!

I currently do StrongLifts and I love it. It's a very simple program and you will see results! There is also a great group here for women that do the SL program.

Priorities should look like this:

1. Diet/Nutrition
    2. Weight training
    3. Cardio

You will see great results :)
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I know there are all kinds of studies and myths and opinions but cardio and weight lifting together is what has worked for me. I tried just diet and cardio and just diet and weights and it wasn't until I started doing all 3 that I started seeing any results.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Both. I did cardio first, then toned up.
  • CloverCreeper
    Options

I currently do StrongLifts and I love it. It's a very simple program and you will see results! There is also a great group here for women that do the SL program.

1. Diet/Nutrition
    2. Weight training
    3. Cardio

Awesome, thanks! How often do you do cardio? (:
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    I know there are all kinds of studies and myths and opinions but cardio and weight lifting together is what has worked for me. I tried just diet and cardio and just diet and weights and it wasn't until I started doing all 3 that I started seeing any results.

What is your workout schedule like?
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I get up at 430; MWF I run, not well but I'm doing C25K to get me going. TThSa I do strength. I'm not comfortable in the weight room of the gym yet but I do either 30 day shred or a variation of P90X to make it more shred like (I skip through all of the banter and do some cardio during the "breaks"). If I'm feeling fancy, I do the P90X stretch DVD on Sunday.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am doing a mix of cardio and weight training, it has been great. My endurance is high and I have the energy to push myself for that extra 10 minutes on my run. I am stronger and things are finally toning up. My current schedule is something like this:
    Mon: cardio (45 minutes), ab (15)
    Tues: upper body training (45), cardio (15)
    Wed: yoga (60)
    Thurs: cardio (45), ab (15)
    Friday: lower body (45), cardio (15)
    Sat/Sun: rest / outdoor stuff

I move them around too depending on how my body feels that week. But I am probably going to cut down on my cardio a bit and add more weight training once I reach my goal of running a mile in 10 minutes. :)
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. (:
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    I would suggest doing strength 3-4x a week, with cardio on the other 3 days. Do not forgo strength training! It is so important. Get into Stronglifts (you don't need to pay for this -- the exercises are on his website) or NROLFW. I'm doing Stronglifts & I love how much stronger I am. I also do dumbbells to supplement the barbells, & although it's just been a month, my arms & legs are getting more shapely & I'm getting stronger every week. You can do this!
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    I would suggest doing strength 3-4x a week, with cardio on the other 3 days. Do not forgo strength training! It is so important. Get into Stronglifts (you don't need to pay for this -- the exercises are on his website) or NROLFW. I'm doing Stronglifts & I love how much stronger I am. I also do dumbbells to supplement the barbells, & although it's just been a month, my arms & legs are getting more shapely & I'm getting stronger every week. You can do this!

Ahhh, I definitely need one or two rest days. Haha.
    Thanks for the tips!
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i cant agree more. I recently in the past few months changed my lifting plan to heavier weight less reps, and I have noticed such a change in deffinition. And I am not bulky at all. Women dont have the levels of testosterone that men have. my reccomendation, LIFT HEAVY for less reps. if its to easy to lift your getting nothing out of it. You should have a struggle.

No, go for high weight, low reps. You won't get bulky unless you are eating at a calorie surplus..... man, this myth won't die!
  • ashquin
    Options
    me too
    Both. I did cardio first, then toned up.
  • amaybee13
    amaybee13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy! I have been doing Chalene Extreme and have seen amazing results.
  • ashquin
    Options
    may I ask, what is strong lifts? is it a program?

1. Diet/Nutrition
    2. Weight training
    3. Cardio

Awesome, thanks! How often do you do cardio? (: