Advice on using Whey Protien Shakes!

Options
So I was being sent emails about the Amino acid diet and then started to research it and figured maybe I would just find a way to get in these Amino acids another way. I came accross the whey protien shakes with the Amino acids. I know that people use them after a work out and for muscle gain. I really want to use it so that when I lose weight I dont lose muscle and inturn will not have the loose skin like I did last time I lost 100 Lb and I lost it fast without any strength training just cardio. So my question is is this a bad choice to replace a meal or two with these shakes in hopes of getting these Amino acids to help retain muscle and lose weight. I plan to also eat fruit and vegetables and then a healthy dinner. I should add that right now I am not very active but plan to start using the Cybex machines at my gym. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• wiebelnancy
    wiebelnancy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this. I've been on MFP for about 2 months and have lost 22lbs. Started at the gym with strength training to try to avoid skin sag. Trainer has recommended extra protein, and sometimes I have trouble getting it in. I use Jillian Michaels whey protein powder in soy milk. 2 scoops in lite vanilla soy milk is about 250 calories. I like the taste of this one, but there are many to choose from. Usually once a day, along with lots of fruits and veg, and other lean protein. Hope this helps!!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    it says on the bottles not to use them as a meal replacement but i think if you're hitting your macros otherwise you're probably in good shape. i used to drink two a day minimum. most mornings i make a smoothie for breakfast.
  • Dianak005
    Dianak005 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I was concerned when I saw that it was not a meal replacement but figure its better than grabing a cheese burger! I just dont want to slow down weight loss by doing it wrong!
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you add a serving of fruit to it, that honestly counts as a good and pretty balanced meal.
  • Dianak005
    Dianak005 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been eating a banana or apple when I drink a shake. Going to try to mix fruit in also.