Losing weight with little to no money.

Options

Replies

• jenbenefit
    jenbenefit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Make the most of free exercise - All I have spent money on is an exercise mat, a hula hoop (impluse sale buy lol), gym shoes and 1-3kg weights so far. I live in the UK and that was all welllll under £50. Thankyou january sales <3

Youtube videos are the best Also - amazon can do cheap exercise videos.

WATER IS FREE IS YOU HAVE A TAP. Who doesn't have a tap? (sorry if you don't have a tap :cry: )

I didn't realise how much I was spending on buying lunch everyday from down, those 3-5pounds/dollars/yen/euro/whatever soon add up. I make a different pasta salad every week which is dirt cheap. Wholegrain pasta for £1, frozen veggies for 50p, then usually salmon, chicken, tuna...boom! A weeks worth of lunches for less than a fiver usually :smokin:

And if you do, give up smoking. The £7 i spent a wee wasn't alot, but that's £364 a day. I spent a pound a day on killing myself. Much better things to be doing!

Ooh and freezing foods. Buying the stuff going out of date in the supermarket and freezing it, or making meals and freezing it.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    jog!
  • divincenzo1
    Options
    My tips would be join coupons.com and before you go shopping go through and see what items you want to buy are on a discount. I buy those smart ones frozen meals a lot to keep in the house for if I run out of fresh food or need somethign really fast. They have sales all the time...plus if you buy a lot they last (hence frozen). If you can find a farmers market I would try to get your fruits and veggies there...you spend half the money and if/when things go bad you don't have to worry about it as much. I live in the Boston area and they have a great one in the city :) Be mindful of brand names....no need to buy a brand name when the generic is $1 cheaper right next to it. And my last advice is find a cheap grocery store...for me I go to Market Basket...literally a fraction of the cost of Shaws or Stop & Shop.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I only buy whole foods and don't waste my money on diet shakes or protein bars. I feel like I don't need the extra calories and fat and sugar when I can eat whole foods for less money. I work out at home or take walks.
  • suzii32
    suzii32 Posts: 26
    Options
    You can get free work out videos at any library,also You Tube has workout routines...plenty of Jillian Michaels on there. I also agree with shopping at Aldi's, they have a brand of healthy food, called Fit and Active, everything I have tried so far has been really yummy! Hope that helps!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any specials tips or tricks that they have for losing weight on the cheap?

Eat less calories and/or burn more calories.

Um, ya, ^^^^^This *smh*:indifferent:
  • BadAzzBea
    BadAzzBea Posts: 461
    Options
    Well, you can't afford much food then, so that should help. :ohwell:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you can't eat as much food, so in fact you have an advantage.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    sell your tv and couch.
  • changejen2013
    Options
    YES! I live about 1 mile from a dollar store that has canned goods, frozen foods, and fresh produce...can't beat that!
    I spend about $150 on food each month for my husband, daughter, and myself and we eat healthy with some small snacks.

Try looking for a place like that in your local area. I know most people may not have one in their area but google will tell you. ;-)
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Heard today on the news that we (North Americans) throw away 40% of the food we buy at the grocery store. First thing I'd suggest, and this applies to me too, is to plan meals better to reduce wasted food.

I always buy the day old bread for 50% off and keep it in the freezer. I just go right from freezer to toaster, and it is exactly the same as fresh to toaster. We buy meat in bulk when on sale, and we eat what's on sale. Veggies in season, or else frozen in bulk. Starches are items on sale or filling at a low cost, like whole wheat pasta or potatoes.

Buy store brands instead of national brands.

The most expensive items are always the pre-packed foods, or brand names. Grocery store flyers are your friend, and Walmart (at least here in Canada) price matches every other store flyer out there.

Good luck!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    YES! I live about 1 mile from a dollar store that has canned goods, frozen foods, and fresh produce...can't beat that!
    I spend about $150 on food each month for my husband, daughter, and myself and we eat healthy with some small snacks.

Try looking for a place like that in your local area. I know most people may not have one in their area but google will tell you. ;-)

ALSO: walk to the store and home when weather permits, if you aren't buying anything too heavy.
  • corie888
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. It is cheaper to eat macaroni and cheese from a package than to spend money on fruits and veggies at the store. It is very expensive to be on a diet. I found out that your neighborhood Sprouts carries locally grown produce so it's cheaper but everything else in there is expensive. I buy food at a neighborhood Winco. They are the cheapest around since they are non-union and therefore they don't have the higher prices. You do have to bag your own food but it's worth it. Their produce is picked over but I have found bagged fruit to be good. Just don't give in to junk food. Buy healthy and plan your meals. Use coupons. If you don't get a local paper with coupons, go online and go to the product website. Sometimes you can find them there. If you love macaroni and cheese, like I do, make your own with fiber-rich pasta or whole grain and make your own sauce. It can be time-consuming but think of it this way. You are worth the time. It is about you. Get up early and make ahead meals, freeze them or do what you can to stick to your plan. We all get the same 24 hours in a day; it's what you choose to do with that time that makes a difference. Good luck.
  • missliss4763
    missliss4763 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I buy regular groceries....just stay within my calories...eggs are great for breakfast which is what I have just about everyday...love my egg sandwiches :) I also have an apple either with my breakfast or snack afterwards. Sandwiches are great for lunch with a piece of fruit or celery or carrots. I do not buy pre cut, the whole ones are way cheaper. And for dinner I eat whatever I would normally or what my bf would cook...fried chicken, baked chicken, steak, burgers, sloppy joes, hot dogs, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, frozen mixed veggies, baked potato, pizza, you name it, I eat it :) Just watch my portions and stay within my calorie goal. I weigh my burgers usually about 5oz, eat just one piece of fried chicken, or 2 small pieces and I'll skip on the starch, and make sure my veggies are at least have my dinner plate. Don't forget...exercise earns and burns!!! (calories of course :) ....hope this helps a little...you can do it!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Workout videos on YouTube. I like the Leslie Sansone walking workouts, but there are a plenty of others. :)
  • Shabbyrose
    Options
    if you have an Aldi in your area, they have really good, inexpensive healty foods. They don't have many name brands, but their generics are all made by company's that make the name brands but just slap a different label on it. And they are INEXPENSIVE!!! You can get a steamer bag broccoli FLORETTES (sp?) for like $1.09 here in the D/FW area in Texas, and they usually go for like $1.79 for name brands...

I was going to say this! I'm in the uk, nice to know the us has Aldi too!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Exercise:

1. Running - all you need is some shoes and you're good to go
    2. You Tube - loads of fitness videos including Jillian Michaels. Have a look for 30 Day Shred - great for getting in shape

Food:

1. In the UK shops like Aldi and Lidl are substantially cheaper for fresh food (e.g. Rooster potatoes are £1 a bag compared to £1.80 elsewhere). I'm sure you have similar cut-price supermarkets where you live (not sure where - are you in the US?)

2. Supermarkets often stock 'basic' ranges, which are cheaper. For example, fresh chicken breasts in these ranges are usually from the same farms as the normal chicken but are different shapes and sizes, which doesn't matter. Even better, buy and cook whole chickens - far cheaper and tastier than fillets, legs etc (and you have a convenient supply of ready-cooked lean protein for meals for the next few days).

3. Shop at the end of the day to bag some bargains. Meat that has a use-by date that day is usually cut massively in price and is safe to put in the freezer for future use. Markets are also great for this. My freezer currently has all sorts, from rump steak and smoked salmon to turkey mince and fresh beef burgers. Just be cheeky and ask the staff if they have certain times when they sell goods off. One woman I work with goes in at midnight once a week then brings in items the next day that she has bought for 5p each etc and sells them at a profit!

4. Asian/ethnic supermarkets: From little local Gujuarti stores on your local high street to big out-of-town Chinese supermarkets, there are bargains galore. As a student I only ever shopped in the local shops, getting big bags of onions and carrots, bunches of herbs, spices etc for a fraction of the price in the supermarkets. I also buy loads of noodles from the Chinese supermarkets in a once-a-month shop. They last forever, are really cheap and I particularly love the rice noodles as you simply pour boiling water on from the kettle then leave to stand for 10 mins. Drain off, add in a stack of raw or lightly cooked veg and beansprouts and several splashes of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and you have an instant dinner.

5. In the UK you can shop online so I assume you may be able to do this where you live. It means you can check the prices of products from the comfort of your home so you make wise decisions, both in terms of checking prices and not buying rubbish. (for those in the UK http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/ offers you price swaps on products to save money).

6. Try dried beans and pulses - cheap, filling and nutritious. Red split lentils are a great substitute for minced meat in chili and curries. Simply simmer in your sauce for around half an hour and they are done.

7. Bulk buy with friends or family from a cash and carry. My mum buys trays of meat which she bags up and puts in the freezer. Family then buy them from her at cost price when they visit. Much cheaper than buying two chicken breasts at a time.

8. And my final suggestion is to always try to shop in season. Cabbages grown in season locally will always be cheaper than those shipped in out of season! Google for where you live and what is in season each month.

I find I naturally lose weight when I have less money as luxury goods are the first thing to stop.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I survive on an 150-200 a month food budget. I buy a lot of frozen fruit/veggies,canned beans, soups (usually 10 for a dollar), eggs, huge pack of frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts, rice, whole wheat bread, lower sodium bacon, 93/7 ground beef instead of ground turkey (same *kitten* cheaper price) and everything else is normal cheap grocery items.

Best investment I ever made was in a food scale and measuring cups/spoons that I bought at my local dollar store for a total of 10 bucks and change. With those I'm able to pretty much eat anything I want in proper portions. What works for me is portion control and incorporating healthier choices whenever possible. Also lots of water. If you can't afford to buy your water they usually have those filtered water machines outside of grocery stores where you can fill up an empty gallon for 25 cents. Tap water of course is free (God I miss New York and the awesome tap water) but if your tap water is gross like it is here in Florida, I would suggest boiling it first before refrigerating it really won't make it taste any better but at least all bacteria would be gone.

Good luck!
  • WinterDryden
    WinterDryden Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you have a yard get some chickens. You will have free eggs & meat if needed. Chickens will eat anything. Also, like so many others have said beans are cheap & nutritious. Brown beans are very cheap. They can be stocked up for a long time too. Chili is a cheap meal, buy hamburger on sale. We shop at Save-A-Lot most of the time, and if you're not picky about brand name food you will save compared to other stores. You may want to call your local meat processing centers to see how much their fresh meat is by the box. It's healthier too.