Half Marathon training

Options
I am doing my first half this May. Looking for friends, and advice to help with it.

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I ran 4 last year (I've done a total of 5 and have another one scheduled in 2 weeks). :) It's my favorite racing distance, but I hate the training part of it.

What sort of distances are you currently running? I was doing 10Ks before I committed to do my 1st 1/2.

I did a modified Hal Higdon 1/2 Marathon training program - I can't remember if I did beginner or intermediate. It basically had you increasing your long runs by about a mile a week, with a few runs during the week. I just googled Hal Higdon half marathon and found the plan that worked best for me.

Good Luck!!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I did three half marathons last year, have another in April and I'm attempting a full in May. When training for my half marathons, I usually tried to get some running in during the week and I'd always go out for a longer run on the weekends and that suited me just fine.

In order to train for the marathon I'm going to be following a much more rigid (well, I'm going to hold myself to it!) training schedule (another by Hal Higdon).

Feel free to add me if you want to.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I run my second Half in a week and a half. I've used Hal Higdon training programs for both.

Feel add me if you'd like.
  • mkatetay
    Options
    I have ran two for my college team and this is my first time training for one on my own... I am putting all of my workouts on my blog and a lot of my workouts are once my coach has given me and I am running one in April
  • mlk8604
    mlk8604 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Please add me! I'm also doing my first in May - are you doing the Indy one by chance?
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I've run three and have my fourth and fifth scheduled for March and May. I'm going to add you - and I'd love to connect with more runners, so please feel free to add me, half marathoners!
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    If it's your first, your goal should be finishing on your feet. To that end, I strongly recommend 2 authors: Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway. They both have beginner programs, somewhere in the 12-14 week range, that could really help you get ready.

13.1 miles seems like a long ways until you do it, but either of these authors will ramp up your training sensibly, so that by race day the distance won't be intimidating. Good luck!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I did one on the 31st of March last year! Feel free to add me or message me for any advice! :)
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just did my first in December and it was so much fun! Training for another in February. HH is good as many have mentioned. I would also recommend the plans on www.coolrunnnings.com.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Doing my first one in June this year! I've run a few 10ks and this seemed like the next step.
  • tbogenrief
    tbogenrief Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to http://www.halhigdon.com/

I did the half marathon training program for beginners a couple of years ago and managed to complete the half-marathon. My best advice is that the last 2-3 miles is going to be all in your head. If you just keep repeating to yourself "I WILL FINISH" ... then you will finish. :)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I love running half marathons... got hooked after my first one three years ago and I'm now training for my 9th Half Marathon (Disney's Tinkerbell Half Marathon). If you would have told me four years ago I would be running... let alone, running half marathons... I would have thought you were crazy!

I follow a modified version of the Jeff Galloway running program. I think it's important to find a training that works for you both physcially and mentally. So try different methods, modify for your lifestyle if necessary, and most importantly -- have fun!! :happy:
  • Runs4Wine
    Options
    ... and I'm now training for my 9th Half Marathon (Disney's Tinkerbell Half Marathon)...

I'm doing Tink too!!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    ... and I'm now training for my 9th Half Marathon (Disney's Tinkerbell Half Marathon)...

I'm doing Tink too!!

My husband and I did it last year and had so much fun, we decided to do it again this year. This will be my fourth Run Disney Half Marathon. They do such a great job hosting these events! :happy:
  • Runs4Wine
    Options

I'm doing Tink too!!

My husband and I did it last year and had so much fun, we decided to do it again this year. This will be my fourth Run Disney Half Marathon. They do such a great job hosting these events! :happy:

We did it last year too - it was me and 2 girlfriends. We hyped it up so much we got two other friends to join us, and then I convinced my family to fly in from around the country... and talked another friend into it....

They're $$ races, but so fun! I did the 5K last year, but opted to just do the 1/2 this year. After seeing the Coast to Coast Medals I got medal envy, so I'm excited to do the W&D this year too! Waiting for registration to open :)
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    Melody - I wanted to share my experience from just a couple of days ago. Breaking 2 hours in the half-marathon has been an elusive goal for me. For my most recent race, which was last Sunday (1/20/13), I followed Hal Higdon almost religiously. Higdon's programs have 2 tendencies, at least once you get past the beginner programs:
    1) His weekly mileage is somewhat LESS than other coaches, but his weekly long run is about the same as everyone else.
    2) Instead of higher weekly mileage, he really pushes SPEED. For me, that usually meant doing 1 'repeat' workout and 1 'tempo' workout every week. Repeats are intervals of a quarter-mile, building up to a half-mile and then a full mile, at faster-than-race-goal pace. Tempo runs start slow and build gradually to slightly faster than race goal pace.

I wasn't sure how running FASTER than my goal pace was going to help me, but all I can tell you is it REALLY did. On Sunday, I blasted away the 2-hour mark, finishing in about 1:55. That's my fastest half since I was in my 20's, and that was about 30 years ago. I was able to run the entire race at a fast (for me) clip and never once felt like I was going at an unsustainable pace.

I now SWEAR by the Higdon approach: build that weekly long run up to race distance, and add 1 or 2 'pace'-type workouts every week. I was amazed at how well it worked for me.

Good luck!
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Plan on running my first Feb 18th. Did 10.2 miles yesterday without walking but still very nervous about being able to do 13.1. Hope to increase my mileage a little more on my remaining long runs before race day. Add me if you would like.
  • redbikergirl
    Options
    I am doing one in April and am going to follow the Hal Higdon's novice program. I am just getting back to running again. I have completed a couple halfs and a full marathon(2005). I would love support, so please add me!
  • redbikergirl
    Options
    Please add me! I'm also doing my first in May - are you doing the Indy one by chance?

I have ran the Indianapolis Mini a couple times. It is nice and flat:) I am doing the Carmel half marathon for something different in April:)