carb cravings! HELP

Options
I cannot control my carb cravings. I am in desperate need of help. After I binge I feel terrible emotionally and physically. I have tried almost everything to help myself but nothing works. I break down about once a week now. Should I go to overeaters anonymous? I'm not overweight but have a similar problem right? Also I have considered going back on Atkins ( on this for over 5 years) but it had finally quit working for me. Maybe it would work again after a year break. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would suggest professional help.
  • ItsHetani
    ItsHetani Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you start lifting weights -- carbs will be your friend :)
  • rn000
    rn000 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from perfectly, as my weakness is carbs as well (cookies in particular!). I have not tried atkins, but I see it as a temporary way of getting the weight off but not keeping it off. What I did in 2012 was make a lifestyle change and decided to eat healthier. This meant watching my serving sizes but still eating foods I enjoy for the most part. I would occasionally (once every 1.5-2 weeks) have fat Saturday when I would eat as many of the sugary carby foods as i could in order to keep my sanity, but following these fat days would leave me feeling guilty enough to go another 2 weeks without those foods!
    Hope this helps
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    I hate that. Good luck.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Agree with S.S. You really need to seek some professional help. I have an addiction and my addiction is food and I knew from the beginning (after I had that AHA moment) that I needed help. that my addiction was no different than a drug addict or an alcohol addict, just my drug of choice was food. I have spent the last 3 and a half years in therapy to treat this addiction. You never get rid of an addiction, you replace it with something else... I fight my addiction daily but I have replaced it with healthy options and exercise but it will be a battle I will be fighting the rest of my life.. That is where I would start..... Best of Luck....
  • mammiehorn
    mammiehorn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Agree with S.S. You really need to seek some professional help. I have an addiction and my addiction is food and I knew from the beginning (after I had that AHA moment) that I needed help. that my addiction was no different than a drug addict or an alcohol addict, just my drug of choice was food. I have spent the last 3 and a half years in therapy to treat this addiction. You never get rid of an addiction, you replace it with something else... I fight my addiction daily but I have replaced it with healthy options and exercise but it will be a battle I will be fighting the rest of my life.. That is where I would start..... Best of Luck....
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Fight it...it won't last. You can do it.
  • mammiehorn
    mammiehorn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I guess I knew that professional help was the answer already but was hoping for something else. Looks like I should make some calls in the morning. thanks for the honesty everyone and the understanding. It's pretty embarrassing for me.