How Much Should I Weigh

Options
There are so many sites that tell me what I should weigh for my height...and they all vary. Does MFP have this info and if so, where? I I am trying to firmly set my target weight.
Thanks!

Replies

• Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too...Im not sure if MFP has that or not..I just picked a number where I think I would feel good...I lost some weight years ago and i was on the lower end of "healthy" and I just looked like I was sick, ya know....So I picked a number just to pick one. I think when I find my goal weight, my body will tell me...
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that info on MFP. I have tried a variety of sites and gotten a variety of results, within a 10 lb. range on those I put my information in.

I'd take the recommendations you have gotten and use a combination of them to determine what you think is a challenging yet achievable goal. You can always adjust later...I have changed my goal twice. My first goal was too high and I knew I could do better once I got within 10 lbs of it. I almost met my second goal and decided to drop it 5 lbs. But, since I now weigh what I did when I was married 21+ years ago, AND my health/fitness goals have changed, I won't be terribly upset if I can't drop 5 more.

Consider thinking more about how you want to look and feel than a set weight also. There is such thing as "skinny fat"--where we meet our weight loss goal but still look larger than we want, and "squishy". If you are going to tone up those muscles, you will be more compact. Even if your weight is a little bit higher than someone with a similar build, you will look smaller. It's not just about the pounds...this is why my goals have changed and I won't be too upset if I don't drop the last 5.
  • madhousenmich
    madhousenmich Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    MFP has a BMI calculator that will give you a good guide, at the top are tabs click on the tab that says APPS and then you will see right under the apps tabs the blue bar and on that bar will be BMI click on it and put in your info.

What you feel good weighing will be different for each person, even if you are the same height as another person you may have different weight goals. I remember a while back someone posted a something asking women who were 5'8" to post your goal weight. The range of different goal weight was amazing, I am 5'8" and my goal weight is 160 some people said 125, I could never be that small. The smallest I have ever been is 150 size 8 and that was starving myself and never eating. Which I will never do again.

You have to decide what best fit your body and lifestyle.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I aimed for the higher end of my BMI since it was the same as my weight when I graduated high school. Another option would be to go by your bodyfat percentage. If you have a gym membership, see about having one of the trainers calculate your current bodyfat percentage and then it's simple math.

(current bodyfat percentage x current weight) = how many pounds of fat currently makes up your total weight
    (current weight - current amount of body fat) x 1.25 = goal weight
    (ideal body fat percentage is around 21-30% so here I made it 25%)
  • Candylips70
    Options
    I have found the same problem with a 40 pound window of what I 'should' weigh. So I basically not only picked the weight I remember feeling and looking the best at (which happens to be close to the middle of the scale), but a weight that is realistic for me to achieve. Once I make it to that weight, if I decide I could or should lose more, then I will set a new goal. :smile:
  • elaine_60466
    elaine_60466 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I appreciate your suggestions and will take your advice!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I picked the middle of my BMI recommendation for my height and will adjust myself from there when the time comes.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    just get your body fat to 15-20%