Can exercise effect my menstrual cycle?

Options
Recently I have worked out basically everyday for about an hour and of course on a calorie deficit. Does anyone know if it effects the time it comes, the flow, etc.?

Thanks, and I apologize for anyone I've offended by asking this question!

Replies

• alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes, when you drop body fat it can effect your cycle & make you not have one or have longer times between. It's very common in female athletes. If it is something that continues, you should check with your doctor to make sure nothing else is wrong just to be sure.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering about this lol glad you brought it up.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Yes, when you drop body fat it can effect your cycle & make you not have one or have longer times between. It's very common in female athletes. If it is something that continues, you should check with your doctor to make sure nothing else is wrong just to be sure.

Ditto this. I found that losing weight put me on a more normal cycle, 28 days, with shorter periods. Everyone is different but in case, see your doc.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Disruption of LH pulsatlity and ovarian function has more to do with too low of net calories (energy availability) over a brief period of time as demonstrated in this landmark study by Anne B Loucks.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah that is normal. During boot camp, I actually didn't have my period for the entire time there due to the stress and exercise.
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    A change in activity level can definitely affect your cycle. When I increased the frequency and intensity of my workouts I straight up missed my next period. My body adjusted though and my cycle soon returned to normal. I've also read in some cases people's periods become shorter when they increase their fitness? I don't know if that's true or not.
  • committowalk
    committowalk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I have found that my periods are becoming more regular, which is nice. :)
  • Luv3ly24
    Options
    Thanx you guys! It seems to be here but very very light almost like spotting, so I'm thinking that the exercise and cal intake had something to do with it, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it.
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    How many calories are you netting over the course of five consecutive days?
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yeah that is normal. During boot camp, I actually didn't have my period for the entire time there due to the stress and exercise.
    I wish, Mine was right on time and that was a pain to try and fit into the hectic days, not to mention slightly embarassing with male TI.

But yes, especially if you're new to excercise, your body can react to the additional stress and can cause you to be late or not have one. Also significant weight gain/loss can affect your menstral cycle. If you are having irregular periods for a prolonged period of time, however, it's probably best to get checked out by a doctor to R/O any health concerns.

-spelling-
  • roxieindiana
    roxieindiana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My doctor said I have the heaviest menstral cycle he has ever heard of. I joined a gym on Jan 1st and started working out daily, started my period on day 2 but kept on exercising daily. My period was only half as heavy, which was a miracle to me because mine is always unbelievable. It sure made my week...
  • Luv3ly24
    Options
    Sorry still getting used to posting
  • Luv3ly24
    Options
    I know that must of been nice! Maybe that explains why mine is so light this time.
  • Luv3ly24
    Options

I went through and looked at my net it averaged out to about 630. Do u want my exact figures?
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It definitely effected mine.. once I started exercising a lot and not eating enough it stopped for a couple of months but then it finally came back this month, after I hadn't been exercising or dieting really this past month. That's the only thing that has ever really stopped my period, I have gotten it every month for years until now! But it seems to be back to normal now.
  • geekyjock76
    Options

I went through and looked at my net it averaged out to about 630. Do u want my exact figures?
    If you know your body fat percentage, I can do the math for you. A net of 630 is pretty low and may be rather close to the threshold of disruption.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I wish, Mine was right on time and that was a pain to try and fit into the hectic days, not to mention slightly embarassing with male TI.

But yes, especially if you're new to excercise, your body can react to the additional stress and can cause you to be late or not have one. Also significant weight gain/loss can affect your menstral cycle. If you are having irregular periods for a prolonged period of time, however, it's probably best to get checked out by a doctor to R/O any health concerns.

-spelling-

*Shrug* Dunno...Coast Guard boot camp sucks so...lol...
  • amills1152
    amills1152 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For me personally, while I've never missed periods, I HAVE noticed that my cramps are WAY less severe when I'm exercising regularly, which is...well... AWESOME ^_^
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    You don't really even have to lose any fat for it to happen. Say you don't work out for 2 months because of a sprained ankle, and then you go back and you're working out hard for 2 weeks or something. 99% of the time your flow will come late. (:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    yeah, my periods aren't as heavy as normal because I work out every day but my flow is heavier and it stops after 4 days instead of 7.......