Sore Traps = Headache?

Options
jayche
jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
I'm still relatively new to back squats (did front squats for the longest time as my main leg movement, now doing high bar ATG back squats) and get sore traps from placing the bar on them. I've noticed that I've been getting headaches the day after my leg day (only time my traps are really sore) and am wondering if anyone gets them too.

Is this something everyone deals with or is it just something I'm going through just because I'm still pretty new to the movement?

Replies

• Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I want to know as well
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    It could also be head position along with bar position. Looking up or down too much. Try a lower bar position and pay attention to head angle. I personally use low bar so I don't really have this problem.
  • jayche
    Options
    It could also be head position along with bar position. Looking up or down too much. Try a lower bar position and pay attention to head angle. I personally use low bar so I don't really have this problem.
    Thanks for your reply, as for my head position I'm usually looking straight ahead, I found it to be the most natural position for me (keeps my chest upright, my traps tight and my lower back stable).
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Need to place the bar on the shelf created by raising your arms not on the bone/spine.
  • jayche
    Options
    Need to place the bar on the shelf created by raising your arms not on the bone/spine.
    It's not a bone/spine problem, its a trap/muscle problem results in tension headaches the next day.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    This isn't directly related but might help. I had similar headaches and adjusting the bar position solved it for me. My headaches would come the day after lifting also.

http://baye.com/qa-neck-and-head-pain-during-barbell-squats/
  • callumprice03
    Options
    you may need to stretch out more, i find that helps me post- squats and when i train traps
  • jayche
    Options
    you know any good stretches for traps? I've been foam rolling them pre and post workout but it hasn't been helping.