SCARED OF SQUATS!

Options
Okay I admit I am scared of squats,
I want my bum to look amazing but I'm scared it will go massive.
How long will it take to get a great bum?
And how often/how many squats should I do to get it?

Links of pictures I want my bum to look like:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2p0mxd2Cx1rrqnj7o1_500.jpg

I want to get over being scared of squats!

only one link now :)

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    How do you get off the toilet?
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Are you taking steriods? Do you hae a hormone inbalance that produces a ton of extra testosterone? Your bum won't get massive.

Grab a heavy bar. Start squatting. Grab a heavy kettlebell. Start doing kettlebell swings. BAM. Awesome *kitten*.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Do not be scared of squats. Squats, lunges, and deadlifts will tone your butt and make it look cute and perky. Not only that, they are totally MACHA! You will feel like a strong grounded woman when you do those squats.

Do get someone to help you learn to do them properly, however. You need to have your weight back when squatting and you need to be taking the load with your muscles, not your knees.

Start doing squats with no weight until you feel you can do them properly. Then add as much weight as you need to exhaust your muscles (with perfect form) in 8-12 slow repetitions.

I used to always do 2 or 3 sets, but I've found that my results are just as good with one perfect set as they are with more. The key is to work those muscles to exhaustion.

Do them 3x a week, with at least a day between sessions.

You will start to feel results within a week. Depending on how much fat you are carrying on your tush, you will see results pretty fast, too. Those are big muscles and they tone up quickly.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    HAVE NO FEAR!

Squats are awesome. Go as heavy as you can with proper form, 1-2x per week. You can also add deadlifts, lunges and hill sprints for extra bootytasticness. Start with a barbell, learn proper form, and keep adding weight every time. I prefer beginners start with Stronglifts 5x5 method- 5 sets of 5 reps. It will take time. Booties aren't made overnight.

It's HIGHLY unlikely that your butt will get too big, especially if you're on a deficit and a natural woman. We simply don't have the testosterone required to hulk up without steroids. But, if your butt miraculously starts getting bigger than you like, it's a SLOW process to gain muscle, so simply back off your training- problem solved. Muscles don't stay trained for very long once you stop.

That being said, when you first start training you might *think* it's getting bigger, but what it really is is intramuscular fluid causing swelling. It's temporary and will deflate with time. Don't quit your training within the first few months because you think it's bigger- it's not, it's just swollen. And as a side note, the swelling feels exactly like the muscle getting bigger- it's not like the puffiness you get from too much sodium. It's very confusing because it will seem like you grew muscle- you didn't.

(sidenote- I don't know what the rule is on links to pics that aren't posted, but that first one is a bit sketchy. visible labia. you may want to edit out that link)
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    How do you get off the toilet?

lmao :laugh:
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    DUDE.....NSFW.....

Almost second hand mooned my co-teachers.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options

(sidenote- I don't know what the rule is on links to pics that aren't posted, but that first one is a bit sketchy. visible labia. you may want to edit out that link)

Wish I read through this comment :/

p.s. Squat, you'll be fine, trust.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    they seem really simple, but i can't figure out how to do them properly. and yes, i've watched you tube instructional vids! they say not to let your knees go over your toes, but they also say to go as low as you can.... if i go low, my knees go over my toes, so i don't know what they're talking about.
  • nostripewhite
    nostripewhite Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you can, try to get someone you know to show you. Even then they take a lot of getting used to.

And as others have said, don't worry about hulking up. Lot's of guys lift as heavy as possible, and most of us have trouble accidentally hulking up as it is :p
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    they seem really simple, but i can't figure out how to do them properly. and yes, i've watched you tube instructional vids! they say not to let your knees go over your toes, but they also say to go as low as you can.... if i go low, my knees go over my toes, so i don't know what they're talking about.

ask someone who KNOWS good form to watch you. I was really worried about form, so periodically I have a trainer at the gym watch my form. He always tells me I look good.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

ask someone who KNOWS good form to watch you. I was really worried about form, so periodically I have a trainer at the gym watch my form. He always tells me I look good.

Always?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    that picture that you linked us to... i bet that girl squats deep and heavy. squats at least her body weight for at least 5 reps.

other things help, like hill runs, and the stair climber, and lunges.
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Stick your bum out ... this is what helps me. I always get confused but if I remember to stick my bum out they seem to work!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

Starting+strength.jpg&sa=X&ei=T1TtUO-BOMSA2AXPuYH4BA&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGfPeHZzw02waibqg1JfdshYgE61g
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

How long will it take to get a great bum?

How long is a piece of string? Just get squatting.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Do the squats. Squats = nice bum! Get someone to show you how, and use higher weight if you can.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, your butt is going to get tighter and smaller over time, it won't "Hulk out".

Might as well start tomorrow so you can get on the path to a fabulous booty :)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a massive behind to begin with, squats won't make your behind massive. If you have a flat behind naturally, squats won't make your behind round. They will help lift your butt muscles though, and 'tone' them. They make your behind 'pop'.

LOL a few flat-behind girls at my gym have asked me if I did the Brazilian Butt Lift and were so disappointed to learn that Nope, mine's nature. But I'm also old, and just a month of squatting (I started in December) has helped lift the 'drag' that was happening to my 40-year-old behind. So I say go for it!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    1. You're not going to put on any significant amount of muscle mass (which you would need for it to get "massive") unless you are eating a surplus of calories. From your ticker it looks like you're trying to lose weight, so you're probably eating at a calorie deficit. Unless you intentionally "bulk", by eating more calories than you burn over a long period of time, it's not going to happen.

2. Even if you were gaining muscle mass, you're not going to go to bed one night with the bum you want and wake up the next morning with it suddenly "massive". To get it bigger and bigger, you would need to be increasing the amount of weight you're squatting with. That's not going to happen by accident.

3. If you can, squat with weights, it will have more of an effect.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Bump. This is the best information on the forum. Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    good luck, please update me with your progress.