Kangaroo

I'm working on losing weight, and my husband does weights (he doesn't need to lose anything, but takes in protein like mad!). I'm eating a lot of chicken and cottage cheese for protein as I can't eat eggs. I've also recently started using quinoa.

My personal trainer recently suggested kangaroo meat (we live in Australia, though I'm an American) as it is pretty high in protein. We bought some steaks the other day and found it had 36g of protein per serving. That's massive! He seems to like it quite a bit, and I tried it. It's ... interesting. Mental issues with eating it aside, with enough steak sauce it was tolerable. I've had someone suggest to me using the mince in pasta sauce as well. That's doable.

But does anyone out there have more ideas to make it a bit more palatable to someone who can eat it, but mentally freaks out a little at what it is? :) Recipes, spices, whatever!

Thanks!

Replies

• RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    I used to eat it a lot - I live in the US now though and obviously it's not on the menu here..

The steaks are really good with beetroot relish or any kind of sharp, pickle-y flavour - it offsets the 'funkiness' of the meat. I think any clean, acidic flavors would be good - maybe try a Vietnamese-style salad, subbing kangaroo for beef?

It's good in burgers, although very lean so best not overcooked.

I used to adapt venison recipes for kangaroo and generally the flavors worked pretty well.

Do you know the website www.taste.com.au? It's a great site that compiles recipes printed in the cooking magazines - maybe a few options there with beef/kangaroo/vension?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    The key to good Roo (steaks) is in the cooking! Make sure you sear it on a very hot grill and only cook it to med-rare. My personal favourite sauce with roo is a chilli/plum sauce. Good stuff!

You might also try mince, even the sausages (kanga bangers) have surprisingly good macros.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Yed Med-Rare is a must! I rarely eat it, like I haven't eaten it in probably 3yrs but I remember a chef friend of mine saying it has to be med-rare or it just won't taste good and be tough. I don't mind the taste but the mental thought of the roos I see being eaten just doesn't sit well with me. Hubby quite happily eats them though
  • thanks everyone! yeah, we'd been told to do it medium rare or it would end up over cooked. i had some last night with some steak sauce and it was good :) i'll try some of the other sauce suggestions, too! thank you! we did try sausages, and while my 4.5 year old and my husband liked them a lot, i just didn't care for them. next we'll try some mince perhaps in a pasta sauce.

i'll look at taste.com.au as well, and will also try subbing kangaroo for any beef recipes i have.

now to just get over the mental part of it being a pooh and piglet's friend ;)