Too much protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    47 grams of protein is not too much if you are exercising. The body can digest and process about 23 grams per meal so you are good there. If you start having hair loss then I would cut down immediately.

You can digest way more than this actually.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    47 grams of protein is not too much if you are exercising. The body can digest and process about 23 grams per meal so you are good there. If you start having hair loss then I would cut down immediately.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

Thanks for the link. :)
  • justmeeh91
    justmeeh91 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have changed my protein to 30% carbs to 40% and fat to 30% I think its going to work out great! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Funny, I came on here just now to ask this same question. I have been going over my protein goal also. I don't eat red meat, it's mainly been from tuna and a little chicken. It's very easy to go over the amount. I don't understand why it is set so low. Also, if you are strength building...which is encouraged, don't you need more protien???

yes, if you are strength training yo ushould aim for 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

i aim for 125g of protein, which translates into macros as 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat for 2000 calories.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options

I can't click on the link because I'm on mobil. But who conducted that research? I kinda get the feeling a protein company had some involvement.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I can't click on the link because I'm on mobil. But who conducted that research? I kinda get the feeling a protein company had some involvement.

I understand your skepticism, funding source should always be a concern but you are incorrect in this case. Alternatively, I don't believe the claim you have made has ever been substantiated as its basically a rumor that circulates in bodybuilding mags. Do you have anything research based to reinforce a digestive limit anywhere near 23ish grams?

What do you propose happens to protein beyond that digestive limit? Does it pass through undigested? I would think this would be evident every time someone eats a steak.

I'm also on a phone so I can't link additional research right now.

Edit: also not trying to be rude, I am more concise when typing on a phone.
  • suebaird9
    Options
    I feel so much better after reading all of your posts. I'm also going over most days on protein and hardly seem to be eating anything particularly high in protein. Phew.....I'm not alone :laugh:
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options

I understand your skepticism, funding source should always be a concern but you are incorrect in this case. Alternatively, I don't believe the claim you have made has ever been substantiated as its basically a rumor that circulates in bodybuilding mags. Do you have anything research based to reinforce a digestive limit anywhere near 23ish grams?

What do you propose happens to protein beyond that digestive limit? Does it pass through undigested? I would think this would be evident every time someone eats a steak.

I'm also on a phone so I can't link additional research right now.

Edit: also not trying to be rude, I am more concise when typing on a phone.

Oh no i'm not offended. I actually like to learn about this type of stuff. Yes I read it in the Mens Health magazine a long time ago i believe. And I dont trust that magazine to be honest. I just like to get my info from legitimate scientific studies more than just random magazine crap. So we are on the same page when it comes to that. Either way she's not overdoing it with her protein intake. One thing I like to look at before believing something are the little things like if the people conducting the research have received any money from lobbyists or if they in any way make money off the product. Maybe the body can process the 150 grams of protein daily like they say. But ouch, I feel sorry for that liver.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Apparently it can process a lot more than that. If my meal includes fowl or fish, then my protein in one sitting is easily double that.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

A protein company? Really?
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

A protein company? Really?

I believe they are referring to protein powders, bars, shakes, etc. Brevity sometimes makes for confusion.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    my "daily goal" for calories is 1,410, carbs is 194 grams, fat is 47 grams, and protein only 53 grams. I am doing a meal plan that was suggested to me by a family member, and am entering in my food diary on MFP, and I am going over my "goal" of protein each day! Yesterday I was over by 25 grams, meaning I had 78 grams of protein for the day. I was also over on fat. by 14 grams. (from phyllo dough, and a not good for you greek yogurt). But on Sunday I was 49 grams over for my protein, I had a total of 110 grams of protein for the day....So I am just wondering if i should be worried about going over my "daily goal" of protein?? Will it stall weight loss?? I just started my new healthy adventure on Sunday, so when I keep seeing that I'm in the red zone, its kinda frusterating! I am getting my protein from canned tuna, ground turkey, greek yogurt, 2% milk, spinach, eggs, cottage cheese, whole wheat bread, etc.....any input appreciated!! :)

Calories are calories. Ideally you should keep the percentage of calories from fats to no more than 20% of total caloric intake. The other 80% you can split up however you want between carbs and proteins, it really don't matter. Weight loss at the end of the day doesn't change as long as you have a caloric deficit.