Weight not shifting? Help!

Options
Hi All
I'm new on here, deciding that I need to change my ways after several years of yo yo dieting which has led me to put on about a stone over the last year or so. I'm aiming to lose around a pound a week. I started a week ago and have kept within my MFP targets and also done a couple of fitness classes. I'm feeling pretty good but weighed myself today and I weigh more than when I started a week ago which is very disheartening! I know what people say about the scales etc - but was hoping that they would have moved a little bit in y favour. Weighed myslef at the same time of day etc. Any suggestions as to what might have happened? And I know that this is a long term thing and that I probably need to be patient, but the logical person inside me would like to understand why.
Many thanks!

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    As you've been exercising you're retaining water. (Ignore people who say you're gaining muscle. Would be nice but you're not)

Make sure you water intake is adequate and don't weight for two more weeks.
  • Carolannb1986
    Options
    could be retaining water especially if ur due. step away from the scales for a week x
  • sophieds123
    Options
    Thank you both :-)
    Yes - I am due, so maybe that is it. Ok - I promise not to go on the scales for a week!
  • jaquwa
    jaquwa Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There could be lots of reasons for this.

I only weigh after a rest day as muscles retain water when mending.

It could be hormonal, I always put a few pounds on during time of month.

Make sure you are drinking lots of water to flush the body, whats your salt intake like, try reducing this?
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thank you both :-)
    Yes - I am due, so maybe that is it. Ok - I promise not to go on the scales for a week!

Are you used to weighing yourself every day? If so, I'd say keep doing it - but note down the number every day, that way you'll see the fluctuations better.

Personally, I always weigh the least on Friday or Saturday and the most on Monday and Tuesday. Also, whenever I'm due this happens: 1) I lose a surprising pound out of nowhere 2) the next day I've gained as much as 4 pounds 3) after the ToM is done with, I go back to my normal weight.

If you just started with the new food and excercise regime, your body is probably shocked ("WTF is happening, I don't understand, panic!") - give it a few more weeks and if you still haven't seen any changes then I'd suggest looking into other possible solutions.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    We can't see your diary so we can't give specific help, but here's some general logic.

Gaining a pound of fat requires that you eat approx 3500 calories in excess of what you burned. That's an excess of about 500 calories per day. If that really happened, then you aren't being honest (measuring and weighing) what you ate.

Most likely culprit is sodium and is responsible for most weight fluctuations. If you're eating a lot of processed and/or prepackaged foods, this is almost certainly what is happening. Make sure you enable sodium tracking and keep it close to recommended levels.
  • sophieds123
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your advice x