The influence of sugar and fat on weight loss

Options
Hi, I have just started using the ap as I lost a bit of weight last year and would like to lose a final 14 pounds. So far, even though im always under the daily calorie count, I'm really struggling to keep the sugar in the green. Despite successfully losing weight before I've never been able to lose this last stone so now I'm wondering if maybe my sugar level is the reason I struggle to get get to my desired weight. Maybe the closer you are to your goal weight, the more the sugar intake is important? Can anyone shed any more light on this? As the added problem is that I'm being warned that my calorie intake may send my body into starvation mode which will be counterproductive to losing weight. But if I add more calories then my sugar goes up too (as it seems easily done even without cake or sweets). I'm trying to address it by ditching as much sugar as possible but as even butternut squash soup can send you close to the limit it seems v difficult. So I don't know whether to pay more attention to the calories or the sugar content!

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    The sugar guideline is very tight if you eat fruit veg and dairy, ignore most of the sugar in those foods. Check labels for added sugars, you can also choose the lower sugar fruit, veg and dairy if you wish.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have just started using the ap as I lost a bit of weight last year and would like to lose a final 14 pounds. So far, even though im always under the daily calorie count, I'm really struggling to keep the sugar in the green. Despite successfully losing weight before I've never been able to lose this last stone so now I'm wondering if maybe my sugar level is the reason I struggle to get get to my desired weight. Maybe the closer you are to your goal weight, the more the sugar intake is important? Can anyone shed any more light on this? As the added problem is that I'm being warned that my calorie intake may send my body into starvation mode which will be counterproductive to losing weight. But if I add more calories then my sugar goes up too (as it seems easily done even without cake or sweets). I'm trying to address it by ditching as much sugar as possible but as even butternut squash soup can send you close to the limit it seems v difficult. So I don't know whether to pay more attention to the calories or the sugar content!

The closer you are to your goal weight they tighter the error of margin.

Ultimately, sugar content won't really inhibit your ability to lose weight assuming you're metabolically healthy. More than likely, you're miscalculating your intake of calories or your expenditure of energy. In the end, weight loss is a math problem.
  • Monroe07
    Monroe07 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gaging my input/output pretty accurately, but will keep an eye on that just in case. It was the fruit and veg i was most concerned about as these are healthy and good to snack on. So I think, If I'm not holding back my progress by letting the sugar go a little into the red, then I'll just make sure I keep an eye on where the sugar is coming from and not lose too much sleep over the natural sugars in fruit and veg. Thanks again.
  • Monroe07
    Options
    This is crzy. Just filled out my breakfast diary for tomorrow and already natural yoghurt, 1 teaspoon of agave syrup and 75g of blueberries takes up 20 of my 26 g of sugar (10g of which is the yoghurt!) I'm sorry but by any standards that is a low fat non 'decadent' breakfast. It seems to me that for whatever reason they're setting the sugar limit too low.
  • jdooks
    jdooks Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is crzy. Just filled out my breakfast diary for tomorrow and already natural yoghurt, 1 teaspoon of agave syrup and 75g of blueberries takes up 20 of my 26 g of sugar (10g of which is the yoghurt!) I'm sorry but by any standards that is a low fat non 'decadent' breakfast. It seems to me that for whatever reason they're setting the sugar limit too low.

Unless your diabetic, you should be less concerned about the amount of sugar your taking in and look more at the carb intake.
  • Monroe07
    Options
    Thanks will do. It's just a bit frustrating. I'm happy to keep an eye on the sugar as it will be interesting to see if it helps me lose this last bit of weight more easily. ill just try not to get hung up on their exact figure so much as it feels a bit debilitating otherwise.