Easy and quick lunch ideas

Options
I am always at a loss at what to fix at home for lunches at work? I usually will grab a bologna sandwich. But, if I have a sandwich I always have to have chips with it. Or grab a burger but got to have fries. Ugh, I need some good lunch ideas. What does everyone make for their lunches?

Replies

• tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oh I have one!

- Spinach Leaves
    - Craisins
    - Feta Cheese Crumbles
    - Vinaigrette

Make a tasty salad! You can also add chicken for protein. :)
  • sttatik
    Options
    prep a weeks worth of lunch and dinner.. that's key... for me at least..

i do anything from boiled eggs.. small fruit salad... oatmeal.. and so forth.
  • fitkat02
    fitkat02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chop up a peeled cucumber (about 1 c)
    Chop up 1 Roma Tomato
    Chop up have an avacado
    Add 1/4 C Feta Cheese
    Add 2 tsp olive oil
    Add 3 tsp salad Vinager

Done. You can also substitute Black Olives instead of the avacado, if you'd rather. Some people like to add red onion.
  • maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have to fix something fast and something I can eat at my desk. I love Hummus and Celery, Tuna salad and Cracker chips, yogert and fruit, String cheese and fruit , Peanut butter with a apple. I eat a good breakfast so I do not get to hungry and lunch time.
  • juniebug2013
    juniebug2013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Make a pot of your favorite soup over the weekend and take a cup of it along with either a salad, or a sandwich, or even fruit each day. Soup generally keeps and reheats well, and leftovers only get more flavorful in the fridge! If you don't have a microwave available, invest in a good Thermos to keep warm.
  • clairewortham12
    clairewortham12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to get the StarKist tuna kit. I mix up the tuna with the mayo and relish and instead of using the crackers I put it on a piece of whole wheat toast. I top it with two slices of tomato. It's really filling. I'll have a Cuties brand tangerine on the side as well! That makes for a lunch less than 300 calories and low in fat! You could even add a small spinach salad on the side with a light dressing for more fiber.
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    Thanks!!! All those sound really tasty. I am just so tired of the same ole same ole. Going out used to be an option but have retweaked our budget and I cannot afford to go out every day for lunch. Subway is a healthier alternative to fast food, but even they are pricey. It seems to me that I am gonna have to dedicate Sunday nights to preparing my lunches for the week. But keep the recipes coming!!! I love to have new and fresh ideas for me and my family.
  • clairewortham12
    clairewortham12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This website has excellent recipes: http://www.skinnytaste.com/. She even lists some of the nutritional values.
  • aawright39
    Options
    I usually will make a salad or bring in a bowl of soup (from the large pot I cooked over the weekend). Sometimes I will add tuna to the salad or have Wendy's chicken nuggets with the salad. Or make a turkey sandwich on rye bread. But definitely try to stay away from the salt in burgers, fries and bologna.
  • patinaragazza
    patinaragazza Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and hummus...so easy and delicious. Also...

About once a month I make a pot of chicken soup with spinach, carrots, mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic on Sunday night. Then I portion it out and eat if most of the week...my husband usually gets a hold of it so it lasts until Thursday!
  • armd16
    armd16 Posts: 1
    Options
    frozen triple berry blend, nonfat plain greek yogurt, a few walnut pieces, handful of old fashioned oatmeal, and a sprinkle of stevia... the berries will thaw by lunch and are so yummy!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am always at a loss at what to fix at home for lunches at work? I usually will grab a bologna sandwich. But, if I have a sandwich I always have to have chips with it. Or grab a burger but got to have fries. Ugh, I need some good lunch ideas. What does everyone make for their lunches?

I would suggest a pasta salad with whole-wheat pasta and loads of veggies. If you are gluten-intolerant, there are gluten-free pastas available.

If you like ramen noodles, have them--but skip the sodium-loaded seasoning packet.
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    frozen triple berry blend, nonfat plain greek yogurt, a few walnut pieces, handful of old fashioned oatmeal, and a sprinkle of stevia... the berries will thaw by lunch and are so yummy!

That is what I had for lunch today minus the walnuts. I had a hand full of almonds for my morning break instead.
  • addyl7
    addyl7 Posts: 7
    Options
    Check out my post on Kitchari! I usually go for nutrient dense salads that I make on Sunday. Here are a few other suggestions:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/poached-eggs-over-rice-recipe.html (poached egg optional, but reheats fine)

http://localfoodieca.blogspot.com/2011/06/cool-shiitake-sesame-noodle-salad.html

Enjoy!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I like making big pots of soup or turkey chili as well- it makes 4 meals' worth of food for me (good serving sizes too!) Otherwise I like salads, or veggies and 1/2 a pita with hummus.

Turkey Chili-
    * 1 lb lean ground turkey
    * 2 tbsp ground cumin
    * 3 tbsp chili powder
    * 1 large can crushed tomatoes
    * 1 small can tomato puree
    * Sprinkle of salt
    I also add a little cayenne pepper for extra spice.

Brown the meat. Add everything else. Simmer until hot, stirring occasionally. Voila! Super-easy and quick!

Wonton Soup
    * 64 oz. low sodium, nonfat chicken broth
    * 1 package frozen, pre-cooked potstickers, approx. 21 count (I use a bag of Trader Joes chicken gyoza)
    * Veggies (I use mushrooms, leeks or onion, carrots, bok choy, snow peas)
    * Season with salt, pepper, herbs to taste- I like using a little cayenne pepper too. I also will crush up about 1/2 tbsp of fennel seed and 1/2 tbsp celery seed...adds a unique flavor).

Put it all together in a pot and cook until hot.
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What I do is a little high in calories for lunch (but hey, I work out so it all works out). However, it is very filling! I have a problem staying full until dinner and will wind up eating a bunch of carbs to curb the hunger, then ruin my calorie count for the day! Anywho...I eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Two tbsp. of peanut butter, one medium banana, and two slices of whole or honey wheat bread. I will also have a strong cheese and an apple along with it. Very yummy and very satisfying in my opinion. If you want lower cal, I've heard of people using PB2 as an alternative to peanut butter. But - for me - nothing can take place of peanut butter!
  • SUSANSIZZY
    SUSANSIZZY Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tuna or Chicken salad on a sandwich thin (or low carb whole wheat tortilla), or in a tomatoe, 98% fat free ham (no more than 2 oz) with a slice of 2% milk fat cheese also on a sandwich thin. Add to either of these some raw veggies or a small salad, and/or fruit. Fat Free Cottage cheese is also good. I add diced onion to it, because I really don't care all that much for cottage cheese. Lipton cup-of-soup, or campbell's vegetarian vegetable soup. Sometimes a ground beef burger (lean) with salsa on it, No Bun. Sugar free jello or pudding can be added if calories allow. I could go on and on, but these are a few choices I eat.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    my diet is quite repetitious boild eggs for lunch slow cooker meal at tea time.
  • heidicnz
    Options
    That sounds yum, am going to try :wink:
  • rcloyd5
    rcloyd5 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    On the weekends, I like to prepare soups that can last me all week. This week I did the hungry girl buffalo chicken chili which was amazing. I also like to get a flat out light wrap...put a 100 calorie guacamole pack and add cucumber, spinach, and red peppers/ It is so full of flavor. You can add turkey if you like, but it is filling without. If you don't like guacamole you can add a wedge of laughing cow cheese spread. I also do a Spinach salad with craisins, reduced fat feta, and Girards light champagne dressing.