Macros

Options
Hi

I am new to Myfitnesspal and whilst I have dieted before I have never really been aware of my Macro balance. Looking at my pretty pie chart, I have realised that I am very carb heavy. This was a suprise to me as I do not eat much bread/potato/rice etc but I guess I never really thought about the fact that fruit and veg are also carbs. So I would quite like to pay more attention to the types of foods I am eating especially as a few people have mentioned to me how important Protein is for muscle retention.

So I just wondered what % macros everyone works towards? MFP defaults at 55% carbs, 30% fats and 15% protein, but does anyone change the balance for better weight loss/muscle retention?

Any help much appreciated!

Em x

Replies

• lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think most people change the macros to support a higher level of protein--just as you say--to maintain muscle while eating at a deficit. I do 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I am interested to see what others have to say, as I am thinking of changing mine as well.

I think a lot of people on here (including me) think the protein levels set by MFP are a little low. I try for at least 100 grams a day, and closer to 125-130 grams on days when I am lifting or very physically active (my personal trainer at the gym recommended these levels... based on my weight which is about 125-130 lbs). Sorry, I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but that's what I know :)

Edited to add that mine are currently:
    50% carbs
    30% protein
    20% fat

I tend to be under on carbs, about right on protein, and a little over on fat most days lately.
  • Bluebox32
    Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this topic..you made me curious to look at how my pie chart looked as of yesterday... I had 55% carbs, 26% protein and 19% fat. For those that are experienced... how do you know what to adjust in your diet to get the ratio correct... I was thinking 40% carbs and protein and 20% fat...is that ideal??
  • Katalyst77
    Options
    I have mine divided as 40%carbs, 30%protein, and 30% fat.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals I think but I am a runner and need a bit more carbs but I also weight train so I have mine set at carbs-50; pro-30 and fat 20. It seems to be working well for me.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    40/30/30
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 is the way to go. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I'm at 45% fat/ 25% protein/ 30% carbs. Yes, I double checked those numbers. More fat is better for me. I've been maintaining on this for years.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I am eating and training for fat loss. My initial goal was 40% fat, 35% protein, 25% carbs, but looking at my actual ratios (from my food journal), it's more like 45% protein, 35% fat, 20% carbs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Explains the formula to figuring what your protein, carbs and fats should be.
  • Squem8
    Squem8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your help everyone, I never knew dieting was so complicated!

Joylia that link looks really useful. I think I am gonna try and work it all out properly using their guidelines but from everyones answers I am definitely having way too much carbs and need to up my protein and fat (in a healthy way of course :P) I can see lots of Salmon in my future...